monkey 1
No thanks. I can vomit at home.
Posted by monkey on October 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
Doesn't the microaggression of giving these people an audience become overwhelming at some point? I don't know how you do it.
Posted by kersy on October 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
What's to see? Maggie will spout the same theocratic b.s. she always puts out. Anyone with a rational view who argues for civil marriage equality gets blasted with Roman Catholic talking points represented as "natural law" and disguised as concern for children. Feh.
Posted by Calpete on October 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Maggie Gallagher's talks are enjoyable, in a Jerry Springer Freak Show kind of way.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on October 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Great screen cap!
Posted by gloomy gus on October 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
What if Maggie held a party and nobody came
Posted by jeffy on October 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 7
Wow... Bjork really let herself go.
Posted by Cracker Jack on October 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
Maggie, I don't want to say you're ugly but WOW!! That is some lardy ugly.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
rob! 9
I wonder how many conversions Maggie has been single-handedly responsible for.

The other way.

Hey, if you believe it's possible...
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 10
I'm sorry, but I really strongly feel that organizations ought to have credible spokespeople, even if only in the most superficial terms. As such, I find it both frustrating and hysterical that NOM is unprofessional and tone-deaf enough to trot out Maggie Gallagher as its spokesperson. Take just one look at her, and you can see why she's so irrationally obsessed with other people's sex lives and romantic lives -- she lacks both.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
David Schmader 11
And we made it to 7 comments before the looks-bashing began. 7 and 8: I understand the impulse, but there are so, so many more substantial/less sexist reasons to mock Maggie Gallagher.
Posted by David Schmader on October 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 12
It's even more exasperating when you have even a passing familiarity of her personal life. Gallagher is so het up about same-sex marriage because her Republican babydaddy refused to marry her.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 13
THINK OF THE CHILDREN! Debate over.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 14
@11, I stand by what I said. I refuse to show these bigoted pieces of shit any respect. One of these "good god fearing folk" pu me in a hospital for over a week in 1993.

At least I didn't call her a lardy ugly cunt which was my FIRST response. I toned it down.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
tehjakers 15
I would rather watch paint dry then that woman try to tell me what's right and wrong.
Posted by tehjakers on October 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this
treefort 16
@11 Please, you chose a screenshot of her sticking out her tongue and looking stupid.
Posted by treefort on October 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 17
Maggie is America's version of Taliban leader.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 18
Really, Schmader? Says the guy who picked the single worst picture of her available on the internet? I call bullshit on your righteousness.

In the photo YOU PICKED she bears a bizarre similarity to an older, fatter Bjork and I find that hilarious. If we're going to get precious on Slog, might as well turn off the servers and go home.
Posted by Cracker Jack on October 3, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 19
@11,
What 16 said.

That is one of the most unflattering pictures I've ever seen of anybody.

Perhaps if you'd used an image like this one: http://www.marriagedebate.com/images/gal…
You wouldn't get the "looks-bashing" you obviously trolled for.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on October 3, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 20
I don't want to look at her or be anywhere near her - not because she lacks conventional beauty - but because she is unhappy, looks miserable and passes those feelings onto her audience.
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on October 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 21
That is a horribly sexist, sizist screen cap. And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on October 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
rob! 22
I must own up to the very same basic impulse as @7 & 8, even if Schmades seems to have given me a pass. Hiding behind oblique smears is one of the things THEY do best and most frequently.

I can't stand that woman. I get that she feels unwanted and rejected (see @12), but just like the other virulent homophobes whose physiology often betrays their same-sex attraction, how can you be so ignorant of elementary psychology that you unashamedly displace your self-loathing onto some perceived alternative target whose existence threatens you NOT ONE WHIT?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 23
@19: Still looks like Bjork...
Posted by Cracker Jack on October 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
very bad homo 24
She has absolutely nothing to say. What a worthless human being.
Posted by very bad homo on October 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM · Report this
@22 I think she's always been fairly up front about the fact that she is passionately opposed to liberalized sexual mores because her baby-daddy wouldn't marry her.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on October 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 26
Wow, at Evergreen? open to the public? I hope they have a glass tomato shield around her for protection.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on October 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 27
perhaps a glitter shield instead, tomatoes can be painful and possibly illegal
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on October 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM · Report this
rob! 28
So where is her advocacy for outlawing divorce and compelling shotgun marriages based on paternity testing, @25?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM · Report this
David Schmader 29
I picked a photo that makes her look stupid, because I think she is stupid. I think this because of the things she says. Spotlighting someone's stupidity ain't sexist.
Posted by David Schmader on October 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 30
@28,

Baby steps.

It's my understanding that Gallagher feels that the man who impregnated her ought to have been compelled to marry her. But, I suppose even she realizes that would be a hard sell.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
What's to watch? Maggie only has one arguement: the specialness of marriage requires that it be kept specially for oposite sex couples. My answer: "no".
Posted by Spokalou on October 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
@29 The thing I find interesting about Maggie Gallagher is that she is a highly intelligent individual who seems to have a genuine and deeply felt belief that marriage equality is wrong. Most opponents of gay marriage come off seeming kind of dim or slightly insincere or both.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on October 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Hawke 33
I think I and my two wives should attend.
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on October 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM · Report this
Hey Dan-
I'm an Evergreen student and I just got back from this event not 5 minutes ago. Guess what Maggie confessed to us? Her "private fantasy" is to right a novel about a dystopian future in which Mormons and Muslims are the last people on earth, and are in conflict with one another. For some reason "the Pope is in Utah" in this bizarre scenario. Just thought you'd be interested in some more ammunition against Miss Crazy Bowling-Ball-Head.

Love, Someone Voting Yes On The Referendum Because I'm Not An Idiot