Womyn2me 1
Laura here. Thank you Anna, you worded it about a billion times better than I did.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on October 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
I'm curious why it makes a difference. I mean, do you start the conversation by saying, "I'm heterosexual, how about you?"
Posted by sanguisuga on October 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM · Report this
I haven't started any conversations by saying "I'm straight, but I support Referendum 74." Instead, the goal is to create a conversation where you're able to talk personally and respectfully about the issues and any concerns that may be holding people back from voting to approve the measure.

I've been phonebanking twice a week for the past few weeks and have a handful of persuasions under my belt. The ones that still bother me are the ones I couldn't get to move off of being undecided--they knew gay couples, but still couldn't commit and say they'd approve R74. Thelma in Fircrest--I'm thinking of you.
Posted by The_Warden on October 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Awesome, thank you Anna! You and everyone like you who would give the energy to put yourself out there are the best...it's an incredibly daunting prospect for a gay person to make a call to beg a stranger (who may be personally hostile to you) for your rights. The relative emotional detachment is key, wether you identify yourself as straight to the other end or not. Anyone who would go out there and take the time to do this is seriously appreciated by so many people, including me. Thank you!!
Posted by molt on October 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Jesus. Everyone at the Stranger is on the self-aggrandizement bandwagon. Maybe we should replace Veteran's Day with Phone Bank Day. What sacrifice (for a bunch of pantywaists)!
Posted by Stranger'sWorstNightmare on October 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM · Report this
Question. Do you have to be local to phone-bank? I wish I could help but I live overseas. If phone-banking via Skype is an option, I would be happy to do it. Does anyone know whether this can be done?
Posted by Lynx on October 12, 2012 at 4:01 AM · Report this