Fried Worms 1
No, the most amazing thing about this is that "the greenest street in America" is in a city that doesn't have city-wide recycling. There are huge portions of Chicago that don't have recycling pick-up. All cans, bottles, paper, etc. just get thrown in the trash in many neigborhoods.

Maybe they should get their head out of their asses and start with city-wide recycling first.
Posted by Fried Worms on October 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM · Report this
Charles Mudede 2
@1, you have my support on that. truly, that is sad.
Posted by Charles Mudede on October 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Honestly, this is a huge deal. Stormwater is one of the biggest environmental problems in the US, and largely ignored by the media.

Usually, I don't go for Mudede's hyperboles, but in this case, I am glad to see someone hyping pervious pavement.
Posted by RDM on October 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Very interesting. Chicago's problem with run-off is directly related to the fact that much of today's built area was originally marshland. In hardening surfaces and filling in the swamps the growth of the city destroyed the natural filtering capacity of the land.
Posted by Calpete on October 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
lark 5
@1 & @2,
Indeed, while I'm glad this steet is established, city-wide recycling is necessary. I hail from Chicago and any step in the greener direction is fine by me.
Posted by lark on October 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
The biggest environmental challenge with limestone cement is carbon emissions: cement production causes ~6-8% of global human emissions of carbon, most of which result from chemical reactions when heating limestone. Promising alternatives are starting to appear. I especially like the kind that traps atmospheric carbon: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-na…
Posted by anon1256 on October 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM · Report this
Fnarf 7
I've setups in poor parts of Africa that wouldn't otherwise have potable water where simple concrete forms are used as trickle water-filtration systems. They cost almost nothing. Of course, most aid agencies oppose them, favoring mega-projects instead.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
The Neighborhood House at High Point installed similar porous concrete sidewalks when they did their big new building a few years ago. I don't think I can publish URLs but if you google "Neighborhood House High Point" you'll get their site which explains all the green features in more detail.
Posted by SarahP on October 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Then move there, Tonderai. They have a South side that's fulfilled your urban nightmare.
Posted by Stranger'sWorstNightmare on October 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this
I saw my first patch of permeable pavement in Seattle recently, at the new Greenhouse apartments in Columbia City. At first I thought that construction wasn't finished, but then I realized what I was looking at. It sort of looks like cottage cheese or big Styrofoam pellets. I hope this means I'll be seeing a lot more of this stuff as other new projects get finished.
Posted by alight on October 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
@6 is correct.

Part of why the SR-99 Tunnel of Ungreen Wastefulness is such a global warming and ecological nightmare.

And that's before you add the lights and fans and pumps running 24/7 365 ... well, except for when the factor 7 to 9 earthquake burns out the fans cuts off the power and everyone trapped in the tunnel dies.

But, hey, aren't tunnels below sea level fun!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Sandiai 12