Whoa dude. THAT guy?
Posted by Cappelletti on October 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
MyNameIsNobody 2
Whoa. He was a U-District fixture.
Posted by MyNameIsNobody on October 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 3
I remember SPD solved another cold case like this a few years ago when they got a guy from New Jersey to lick an envelope under the ruse some sort of parking ticket refund lawsuit. The guy had murdered his teenage neighbor in Magnolia in the 70's when he was a teenager and they were able to match his DNA to the crime scene.
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
Posted by gloomy gus on October 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
oldmanandthesea 5
Homeless is the new black
Posted by oldmanandthesea http://www.lostgeneration.com/hrc.htm on October 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM · Report this
damn, and he just got his hair did.
I'll miss seeing him brush his disgusting beard at Vita.

Posted by nervouscop on October 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
Whoa. I would always run by him on Roosevelt outside the Half Price Books. Seemed like a harmless old guy.
Posted by Nic in Greenlake on October 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM · Report this
stinkbug 8
Yes, I'd call him more familiar in the udist than capitol hill. But whatever.
Posted by stinkbug on October 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 9
"We need more heart, less hurt." - Gary Raub

Suppose that's what that poor old woman said right before he mutliated her?
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on October 16, 2012 at 5:35 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 10
Must have been trying to get to her heart... Literally.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on October 16, 2012 at 5:36 PM · Report this
stinkbug 11
"A Homeless Man Remembers His Friend John T. Williams":

Posted by stinkbug on October 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 12
Well, at least that’s one less psychopath on the streets of Cap Hill.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on October 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
lemonde 13
I saw him on 45th almost everyday, hanging out near Trabant or Key Bank.
Posted by lemonde on October 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM · Report this
stinkbug 14
Now I'm confusing myself. Is he in fact the same guy as the u-dist guy or are they different people? The u-dist guy seems to have a more burned face (or whatever that skin condition is).
Posted by stinkbug on October 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM · Report this
@ 4 & 11, that piece is an embarrassment. Only a fool would believe that POW bullshit.
Posted by Greydon Clark on October 16, 2012 at 5:59 PM · Report this
Wow indeed, i just saw this guy last week, I remember wondering about his purple beard!
Posted by BallardBoy on October 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 17
@15
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on October 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 18
@15
I though the same thing. I am willing to bet that the closest this murderous chucklefuck got to Vietnam was watching Apocalypse Now.

Protip:
When someone claims to be a homeless vet ask them their unit number, they will either stfu or say "I don't remember", if they area really a vet they will rattle that shit back to you because it is something no one forgets.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on October 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM · Report this
Lew Siffer 19
I always saw him by the blue moon or on the ave. Always thought he looked like the oldest man ever, vaguely Chinese under all the hair, suntan, and spots. Now I guess there is only "Tall man" in the park and the old guy with the Safeway bag on his head...aka Bagman.
Posted by Lew Siffer on October 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM · Report this
Jen, was there any particular reason you linked to the Daily Mail site instead of the original article in the Kennebec Journal? I don't mean to complain, and I appreciate your hard work and all the (free!) content you guys produce for us, but I prefer to limit my intake of the skeezy, right-leaning British tabloids.
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on October 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM · Report this
Teslick 21
20: Yea, I noticed The Mail felt the need to not only have a picture of chewing gum, they needed to make sure you didn't confuse it with the suspect.
Posted by Teslick on October 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM · Report this
sirkowski 22
I wonder how many people are homeless for the right reasons.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on October 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM · Report this
stinkbug 23
I say he belongs to the u-dist, not cap hill:

"Whitcomb said Raub was arrested Monday by a contingent of officers from Seattle, Augusta and the Maine State Police at one of his usual hangouts, Northeast 45th Street and University Way Northeast."

Posted by stinkbug on October 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 24
That guy was great in the "The Devil's Rejects."

Posted by Gern Blanston on October 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM · Report this
Speaking of Seattle's homeless, the November issue of Harper's has an article about the central library. My favorite bit:

One day, a woman flamboyantly turned out in a multicolored turban and what at first appeared to be white dreadlocks but was actually the head of a mop, complained to us that a guard had stolen her backpack. "He was deliberately all over me. I had mail in there, and he stole my mail, so he has committed a felony," she said. "I called the cops. No, actually, I screamed and screamed that he'd stolen my stuff. And my friend called the cops for me."
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on October 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM · Report this
I remember that dude from when I lived there!!!
Posted by MarkVelasquez on October 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM · Report this
He was definitely a U District institution during the day, usually along the block with American Apparel, Trabant and most often nursing a cup of coffee in the deli on the corner. And like @19 I always had the impression that he was Asian...
Posted by voodoo on October 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM · Report this
--MC 28
Holy shit. I used to see him all the time in or near Peet's on the Hill. Usually with a bowler hat on his head.
Posted by --MC on October 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM · Report this
Simone 29
@18, my dad was an Air force "vet" during the last 4 years of the Vietnam War (stationed in Montana though) and I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember his units number. But, he does remember most anything else like who/what/where just not the little thing like a number.
Posted by Simone on October 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 30
This story exploded my mind yesterday. Had to call everyone who I used to work at Val Village with and gossip! He was always such a sweet, and harmless-seeming fellow. I am having a hard time reconciling these realities. 0_o
Posted by More, I Say! on October 17, 2012 at 8:57 AM · Report this
emor 31
Wow. You really never know with people. I always felt bad for this guy when I saw him, as hie looked especially destitute.
Posted by emor on October 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM · Report this
@29, have you asked him? Until you do, you're just blowing smoke out of your ass. I expect when you do, he'll offer up his unit number without hesitation. It's not the kind of thing you forget.
Posted by Vets Don't Forget on October 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM · Report this
Gentle? Not too sure. While mostly quiet, this guy frequently wandered the U District and would occasionally scream (not speak) in tongues and randomly shout obscenities. People definitely kept a 5-10 foot halo around him, as he gave the vibe of someone who at any moment could come unhinged.

Certainly didn't think him a murderer, however. That was a surprise discovery.
Posted by Gomez http://misterstevengomez.com on October 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
@33, his demeanor used to be gentle on the occasions when I'd speak with him. He did some do-goodery which I admired back then - he wasn't homeless at the time. That some do-gooders are compensating for past nastiness is a commonplace; that someone hiding from the consequences of an unspeakable crime might over time lose his ability to present an integrated persona or keep a roof over his head also does not strain credulity.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM · Report this
He would sit out front of Kaladi or Peet's or Vivace on Capitol Hill and brush and brush and brush his beard. I've also been privy to him screaming in tongues while tearing through Cal Anderson.

Ugh, will Hungry Man be on the list next?
Posted by Maxine on October 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM · Report this
From the Kennebec Journal:

Police interest in Raub rekindled after he was accused in an October 2011 stabbing in Seattle that injured another homeless man.

He may have been a gentle man most of the time, but he obviously had some pretty serious issues.
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on October 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 37
If the only evidence they have is some blood in the house he lived in, they're going to have a hard time proving that he murdered the woman. From the article that seems to be the case, and all that proves is that he was around, and that was never in doubt.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
Posted by hey alright on October 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
@37 I agree. My blood is occasionally spattered on my kitchen cabinets. Drunk slicing - I really shouldn't chop onions when I'm under the influence!
Posted by lurkylurky on October 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM · Report this
Yeah, my blood's splattered all over my kitchen cupboards too ...

This guy might have a better life in prison anyway. At least he'll be sheltered and won't have to beg for food.
Posted by Amanda on October 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM · Report this
I hope you feel stupid now "more I say" for your idiotic defense of a man who is obviously a complete hack and liar on top of being a murderer.
Posted by More_I_say is an idiot on October 29, 2012 at 5:00 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 42
@41: Whitney is not stupid. She is, however, quite young. That's an affliction which can easily be cured. All it takes is time. Now STFU.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on October 29, 2012 at 5:42 AM · Report this
You mukalucks would believe anything, that POW story is strait BS and none of you Useful Idiots could not see it or him for what he is. Your enlightened thinking has you so full of crap your eyes are brown and can no longer see reality even when it is in front of you. Splattered blood usually means a lot of blood, not some nick from shaving. If he was such a great Native American, why could this great warrior who single handedly escaped from Cambodia(HAHAHAHAHA)not even fend for himself in America. REAL Warriors who pull off great achievements like that do not fold ever, that is why they are able to do them in the first place. Stop being fooled by Hollywoods BS idea of a Combat Vet, we are your Brothers, Sisters, Friends and Neighbors. Average Americans who are not crazy, lazy or stupid. We are a direct reflection of the American populace with the same success and failures as all. Except in one area, the failure of the American people to understand the truth about us, we are regular people, that is all.
Posted by CBSenior on October 30, 2012 at 7:48 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 44
OK Mr. 5280, how do you know my name? Did I link to my facebook here once? D'oh.
Posted by More, I Say! on October 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this