Catalina Vel-DuRay 2
Our Troll: righteously defending Mormonism since October 19th, 2012 at 9:15am.

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
Good gawd she's a cu_t. And her husband is a coward.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Cracker Jack 4
Wow -- it seems like every political post gets one or two unregistered troll comments right off. The pay must be good... where can I sign up to do the same on Conservatives4Palin or Redstate? Of course, the pay dries up in 19 days... then sayonara, trolls!
Posted by Cracker Jack on October 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
Oh, and I say that as a Vietnam era veteran. She can fuck her missions.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM · Report this
David Schmader 6
Bullshit. O'Donnell effusively praises the many Mormons who've served in the military right in this piece. The Romneys brought up missionary service and all but required other people to address it. Before that, the media politely left Romney's kookoo-kult religion alone.
Posted by David Schmader on October 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 7
Living in a French chateau and crawling through the mud in a jungle? Totally the same thing. Don't you guys appreciate everything Mitt Romney has sacrificed for you?
Posted by keshmeshi on October 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM · Report this
O'Donnell is really fucking annoying. Making fun of Taggert's name? What an asshole. He makes some good points about the military thing, but he goes too far and comes across like a left-wing version of those assholes on the right. I wanted to hit O'Donnell myself at the end.
Posted by David from Chicago on October 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM · Report this
Granny Smith 11
Frontline did a profile of romney last week and included photos of him at a counter demonstration where he was supporting the war in Vietnam.
Posted by Granny Smith on October 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
@ 9 lighten up, cmon his name is Taggert!
Posted by Seattle14 on October 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 13
@11 Are you fucking kidding me!?! That would make a great ad with the announcer telling viewers how he avoided service. The more you learn about Rmoney, the bigger prick he becomes.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM · Report this
How many American families can look back 5 generations and not find someone who was in the military? That seems extraordinary. I have my doubts about this report.
Posted by dbgill56 on October 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
venomlash 15
@10: Translation: he said some mean stuff about Joseph Smith once on his show and then apologized profusely.
Posted by venomlash on October 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this
Granny Smith 16
13) here is a link. It was a protest of an anti-war sit-in, not a pro war demonstration. still...

Posted by Granny Smith on October 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM · Report this
David Schmader 17
"Rapid anti-Mormon bigotry"! "His radical far left peers on MSNBC"!

Oh, my sides.

And if the LDS Church is gonna get mad every time someone calls them a cult, they should probably stop acting like a cult.
Posted by David Schmader on October 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM · Report this
So Romney is pushing for some kind of intervention in Libya.
And Syria.
Maybe Iran.
Let's get belligerent with China.
Because Russia is the biggest threat.

But he never served in the military.
And his sons have not served.

So it's a lot of tough talk when his family is safe.
And they can talk all they want about how the people in our military are making a great sacrifice or how they really respect that kind of service.
But it comes down to Romney talking tough about being will to risk the lives of OTHER people.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on October 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
California Kid 19
Come now! Who cares about all these wars and the people who are going to fight them. They are just part of the mooching 47% that will not take responsibility for thier lives!
Posted by California Kid on October 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM · Report this
Whoopi's interview is SOOO frustrating, because even though she's correct on the larger issue she did get the fact wrong: that LDS men are not allowed to join the military. That's pretty easy to look up online.

There are a hundred embarrassing questions she could have asked. Watch this:

Also, Whoopi could have asked Ann this question:
"Your church did not allow non-whites full membership until 1978. The choice to reverse this policy is claimed to have been by a revelation from God to the church authorities. How would you explain to someone who doesn't believe in your God where that revelation came from? And so far your church has not apologized for this. Do you feel the church owes non-whites an apology?"

It would be pretty fun to watch Ann explain that to Whoopi.
Posted by ScruffyBallardMan on October 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
@21
I suspect that Whoopi knew exactly what she was saying and just used it as a segue to show how the Romneys consistently CHOOSE to skip military service.
But she needed it phrased in such a way that Ann Romney could not resist "clarifying" that Mormons CAN serve in the military.
It's just that the Romneys CHOOSE to refuse to serve in the military.
And, when necessary, use a religious exemption to avoid military service.

But not because they are Mormons.
Because they are Romneys.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on October 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 23
He only indicated the larger truth: the generation of conservatives today are all draft-dodgers. They're cowards. Simple as that. Which is why I've such little respect for conservatives. They're the blowhards that are always in your face about something, but when it comes down to acting out their convictions, they run like scared rabbits.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on October 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM · Report this
I completely sympathize with people who are angry at rich politicians that support war but never want to get involved themselves. But I also don't think I could ever point fingers at those people and tell them that they should have joined.

Personally, I would do anything to avoid the military. I don't think it's a healthy environment, and I think it sounds like a hellish experience. I'm also afraid of being put in the situation where I am forced to do things I think are wrong. I couldn't justify that all my actions were for the greater good in the world. But even if there was a war that I thought was a just one, would I join? I'd probably do anything I could not to get involved, because A. I'm a coward and B. I don't want to hurt anyone. Maybe I'd do the right thing and join in the midst of a world war where I knew everything was at stake, but because I don't feel confident that our military's actions is making the world a better place, I could never do that now.

My point is that I don't expect that of Romney or his family, either. They're probably just as afraid to join as I am, and deep down they probably also have a seed of doubt as to whether these wars we're in are just despite what they say. And they have an opportunity many americans don't have to live a comfortable life without the security of military benefits that many poor americans try to take advantage of because they were dealt a shitty hand in life.

Most people in Romney's or his family's position would choose not to join. I'm upset with their political standing on the war, but do I think that people's choice not to join the military because they don't support the war is 'honorable'? No. Many of us are soft and are cowards and don't want to be put in the awful scenarios that war puts us in.

The very few of us that do choose to join the military for the greater good who don't wish to benefit from military service's benefits are incredible people. Everyone who is in the military despite their position on the war - I wish the best for them. I know they're suffering physical and mental injuries, I know they're putting their lives on the line and dying for us. And I'd support them in any way so that they don't have to suffer and die. I just don't feel comfortable pointing fingers at anyone saying they *should* have joined the military.

I'm not upset that Romney avoided the military, I'm upset that he supported various horrible wars. I'm not ready to judge people for not entering the military if they support its actions. The real question here is, is there a disconnect between wealthy republicans who support war and their willingness to enter it themselves? There sure is - if there was a draft I bet a lot of them would be changing sides. There is a huge disconnect in this country between the people in power and the people they affect. Congressmen cater to the lobbyists because they need their support to stay in power. The most disadvantaged people are catered to the least, because they have almost no power and no influence on their representatives. The disconnect between the suffering of the poor, our troops, the disabled, our minorities and discriminated groups and the rich are greater than ever.

America, the greatest country on earth, lol.
More...
Posted by Bmesick on October 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM · Report this
venomlash 25
@20: Obama's already ended the war in Iraq, and is bringing our boys home from Afghanistan. The military engagements he started (Operation Odyssey Dawn, Operation Neptune Spear) had a total of ZERO casualties. Obama's got the right idea when it comes to warfare. Technological superiority, no occupying army.
Posted by venomlash on October 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
venomlash 29
@26: If and when we are attacked in earnest by a nation with a modern military. I do not have the psychological stability to successfully fill a front-lines combat role, so I will enlist, under such circumstances, as a technician or combat engineer in order to apply my extensive scientific skill set towards the support and protection of my fellow soldiers. Why do you ask? And when do you sign up?
Posted by venomlash on October 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM · Report this
venomlash 32
@31: There are over fourteen million hits for "cats cheeseburger". Just because there are a lot of Google results for something doesn't make it true. You can clearly see that cats are not cheeseburgers.
Posted by venomlash on October 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM · Report this
I have read Lawrence O'Donnell Eviscerates tropics. This article is very informative. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by shamim on October 21, 2012 at 1:41 AM · Report this
Great article! thanks for sharing.

Posted by shamim on October 21, 2012 at 1:44 AM · Report this