Hernandez 1
Goldy, ever considered buying the Nash's produce directly from them at a farmer's market? I have nothing against PCC, but holy hell that markup hurts when you're shopping on a budget. It may be somewhat inconvenient for you depending on your location, but that's a case where you can save a lot by buying direct.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on October 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM · Report this
Goldy 2
@1 It's a limited season on the Nash's Best, and the local farmers markets are closed by the time their harvested. Plus, I'm still eating my own garden carrots. I won't be buying the Nash's Best until December.
Posted by Goldy on October 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Hernandez 3
@2 Oh yeah, that's right. I usually go to the U-District market (which is year round) and I forget that all the others are closed or closing soon.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on October 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
I'm just going to buy some Congo Bars instead.

Sure, the chocolate comes from the East Congo Initiative, but there's a sale on and you can get them for $7 until midnite this week at Theo's Chocolates online.

By the way, apple prices will be going up soon, so buy a bunch now.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM · Report this
But crop rotation only works well for family type farms, for large corporate factory farms it cuts into profits, and since ADM is one of the biggest recipients of corporate welfare it would unfair to ask them to protect the environment and lower our dependence on oil.
Posted by Merchant Seaman on October 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
As someone who used to work there, I'll add a minor nitpick and note that Iowa State University is not the University of Iowa.
Posted by tproa on October 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Fnarf 7
I don't know why people keep saying that chemical fertilizers and pesticides only started being used in the mid-20th century. I can guarantee that any farmer who tried to grow crops on the Great Plains was dumping truly spectacular amounts of lead and arsenic on his land as early as 1900, mostly to try and control grasshoppers. I know my great-grandfather did.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Goldy 8
@6 My bad. Fixed.

@7 I did not state that chemicals only started being used in the mid-20th century. I stated that its widespread adoption only started in the mid-20th century (the chemicals being an outgrowth of the munitions industry).
Posted by Goldy on October 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 9
Michael Pollen has been writing about this for years...how organic farms, even with crops planted interwoven on the same plots can allow much smaller farms even to sustain an urban area like NYC.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on October 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Fnarf 10
@8, but you are still wrong: the use of poisons and chemicals WAS widespread before then. What I think is confusing you is that these poisons were not initially PETRO-chemicals; there was no wide-scale petrochemical industry until later, because there was hardly any oil. It didn't take long for the oil industry to find agricultural uses, though. I think your chronology is bad, and I think your association with "munitions" is wrong too -- I'm sure they played a part, but really it was the chemical companies working with petroleum distillates that made that possible. The main use in WWII was anti-malarial chemicals, not "munitions".

Fun fact: my great-grandfather participated briefly in Montana's first oil strike, at Cat Creek, in about 1920. I have a couple of photos of the refinery there -- which didn't really deserve that name, being just a few barrels and pipes laid across the gumbo.

What I hear you echoing is an assertion that before petrochemicals American agriculture was a spotless paradise, but that's just not true. The amount of "Paris green" and lead arsenate laid on those fields in those days was mind-boggling, and the results had to have been as toxic as anything put down today. Use of lead arsenate was extremely common across Washington State until DDT was introduced in 1948 -- DDT being much more effective and much less toxic (DDT is not very toxic to humans).
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 22, 2012 at 3:26 PM · Report this
Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after.........John.
Posted by willieboy on October 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM · Report this