Cato the Younger Younger 1
It went better than I thought it would. The big question will be if Apple can deal with supply issues with the new iPad mini than they have with the new iPhone that is still a wait of three to four weeks to get one.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this
The fusion drive sounds a lot like a drive Seagate (and probably others) already did. I replaced a stock Apple drive with one to good effect...the drive had enough smarts to cache boot and common apps into flash on its own and was $50 more than a conventional drive. Significantly faster than a conventional drive for common tasks but same capacity and form factor.

Microsoft tried something similar in Vista but the hardware wasn't quite ready at the time.

That said: it's a really good idea and glad it, or something equivalent, is the stock part now.
Posted by david on October 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
Meanwhile, Zynga games just let go 200 employees in the US, hoping nobody would cover it due to the Apple releases we've known about for ages.

@1 depends on how active the China-US trade war gets, or other disruptions from the China-Japan and China-Vietnam trade wars, quite frankly.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
iPad mini is trying to compete with Samsung Note. Yawn..
Posted by JaxBriggs on October 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
Little mentioned thus far, but for me one of the most exciting new features is a tiny thing now available in iBooks.

Up until now, we were not allowed to highlight and copy/paste from a book. Now we can.

This is a huge benefit for my reading/research/writing. And, it's a clear feature benefit for reading on the iPad over traditional physical media.

This won't get much play, but it improves my iPad experience exponentially. :-)
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on October 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Jax…It's a stretch to say that the iPad is "trying" to compete with any other tablet on the market. ;-)
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on October 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 7
@jax, the appropriate device would really be the kindle fire. The Note (while big) is still considered a phone/hybrid and not a tablet.
Posted by Akbar Fazil on October 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Fnarf 8
Everybody's making fun of the iPad mini, but it's the first Apple product in a decade that actually interests me. It's just about exactly the size of a trade paperback, which is good -- I wish it was a tad smaller, the size of a mass-market paperback, but this is good. I think the Kindle Fire form factor is still better, but it's not an iPad inside.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 9
@8, I'm with you. I held off on buying a replacement for my 2nd gen Kindle to see if what the iPad mini would turn out to be and I will at least check one out and may get one
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on October 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Eric Arrr 10
The Fusion drive is a clever implementation, but economically speaking it's a short-term hack to deliver solid-state performance at spinning platter cost, while the industry waits for solid-state storage tech prices to return to earth.
Posted by Eric Arrr on October 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
See, even Fnarf is interested.

The main problem with the iPad has been it's the size of a seminar notebook, but the iPad mini fits into a male adult hand.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Just bought a new 13" Macbook last week, now I have to decide whether to return it and sign up for one of these retina models. Honestly though, given the price difference, the paltry 128gb, non-upgradable hard drive and non-upgradable RAM, I doubt I'll do it. I was already planning on replacing the DVD drive with a flash drive on mine anyway and keeping the stock 500gb HD for mass storage.

Honestly, if Apple is moving away from user-upgradable hardware throughout their product line, I might have to stick with my current computer for a long while. I've been willing to put up with most of Apple's bullshit over the years, but with their mindless war against jailbreaking and the ridiculous charges for doing simple RAM and hard drive upgrades, they're starting to lose me.

Posted by MRM on October 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
Goldy 13
@10, I don't know that the Fusion drive is "short-term." If you're in the market for a 3 TB drive, you're not likely to be moving toward an all Flash solution anytime soon.
Posted by Goldy on October 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM · Report this
MRM always check here before you buy Apple hardware:
Posted by ejamadoodle on October 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM · Report this
Still prefer my Nexus 7 to the iPad mini. Best value in the tablet market.
Posted by Umm on October 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM · Report this
evilvolus 16
I'm feeling too lazy to research for myself. Anyone know offhand when the new update to the iBooks app will be?
Posted by evilvolus on October 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Dougsf 17
@10 - That is a good point, and a decent solution for those looking to juice up a single-drive machine. There's been a lot of negative reviews of previous attempts at using HDD w/SDD buffer in the past, though, and I'd like to hear how Apples version differs from those. If physical space isn't an issue, a more reasonably priced SDD (for OS/aps) with a secondary HDD for storage would be very welcome.

I wish they'd put some attention into their towers now. The storied "Apple tax" is the most obscene in this area (Dell and HP do it to, but not quite like Apple).
Posted by Dougsf on October 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
stinkbug 18
I wanna love the products more, but the iPhone 5 seems too thin and the iPad mini seems too fat.
Posted by stinkbug on October 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 19
@Fnarf, check out the 8.9 inch Kindle. That's been making me pretty excited.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on October 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Dougsf 20
sorry, I meant @13
Posted by Dougsf on October 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 21
@18 is that based on published dimensions or actual tactile feedback of the actual device?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Goldy 22
@16 The new iBooks app is available now.
Posted by Goldy on October 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Fnarf 23
@19, that's way too big. The Paperwhite is more like it, especially since I don't really care about video for the most part. It's 6.7" x 4.6", compared to 6.9" x 4.2" for a mass-market paperback. That's narrower than the iPad mini, regular Fire, Galaxy, and Nexus, and shorter than all of them too. I wish a real tablet would hit that form factor.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 24
Enjoy your shitty walled off operating system, non user serviceable hardware and 300% inflated prices. I don't understand the cult like devotion to one of the shittiest, and most corrupt corporations to ever exist, especially among leftist.

Thanks Goldstein,you have once again proved that you are an idiot.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on October 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 25
Wow. That reminds me, @24, I have to replace my iPad2 screen tonight.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this