I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have white lights on the back of your car unless they are reverse lights.
Posted by Mr John on October 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
How Green Hornet of them
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
camlux 3
If these stay legal, some day we'll read about the yahoo with one of these on his car who killed a First Grader after barreling through a school zone at 70 MPH.
Posted by camlux on October 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM · Report this
jnmend 4
Finally, the freedom to be a huge dick on public roads and not suffer any of the consequences. Who wants to do a keg stand?
Posted by jnmend on October 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 5
Or, you could just obey the traffic laws.
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM · Report this
goodbye to 520 tolls as well
Posted by cliche on October 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Dougsf 7
Laser and radar "jammers" are already illegal in just about any state in which you'd find a traffic camera. I can't imagine it'd take more than one legislative session update the books to include these as well.

Also, I wonder if these actually work. From the limited knowledge I have of pro photography gear, I recall secondary strobes that work by reacting to you flash being less desirable than infrared ones because they're slower. Anyone?

"Why don't you secure funding through normal channels?" should be in the FAQ's of all crowd-funded projects like this.
Posted by Dougsf on October 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM · Report this
I think that UV LEDs shining on the plate would work (making a seen-by-camera-only bright glow) and could be on all of the time. But since only drunken, child-killing criminals want to mask their plates, forget I said that.
Posted by Panzo on October 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
@5 but then what would Tim Eyman do?

@6 by entering a tolled roadway, you are required to have either a toll device with a GoodToGo account or a readable license plate. Any flash plates could allow them to activate one of drones to follow your car until the cops pull you over and fine you $10,000.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe some redlight cameras shoot video as well.
Posted by Senor Guy on October 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM · Report this
treefort 11
This is intended to help people commit crimes. Making it illegal is a nobrainer.
Posted by treefort on October 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM · Report this
Capt. Kangaroo 12
Who knows - the flashes on the 520 bridge are different from the flashes you normally get from the red light cams (it's more of a purplish hue), so may not trigger this thing.

But yeah, this is just as crappy as radar detectors.
Posted by Capt. Kangaroo on October 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
pinksoda 13
But everybody know that only bicycles run red lights, right?

Posted by pinksoda on October 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Suck it, tolls!
Posted by RFSUP on October 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
Ummmm.... Hello? What about that time of day when, you know, it's daytime? This thing won't do shit in daylight. Also, strobelights are fast, but they don't fire instantaneously. I suspect there may even be enough latency that the redlight camera will getcha before your countermeasure goes off.

Note to state enforcement officials: If it even works, you can defeat this thing easily. Program your cameras to flash twice, a tenth or so of a second apart. My damned Nikon does this to gauge exposure and always catches me mid-blink. It should work with the noPhoto, too.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on October 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM · Report this
COMTE 16
Whenever I see an ad for some "only a Libertarian could think of this" type product, accompanied by the question: "Is this thing legal?" I just automatically assume that it's not, regardless of what the copy says.
Posted by COMTE on October 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM · Report this
smade 17
@11 Traffic infractions are crimes?
Posted by smade on October 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 18

No thanks, I'll keep the rotating plates on my Aston-Martin.

Got it set to Alsace-Lorraine today.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on October 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
Laws designed to make me drive according to some bureaucrat's arbitrary conception of the "rules" are among the very worst examples of nannystatism.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on October 23, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
@19 (Eric) oh sure, because we don't all have to share the road or anything, it's not like having a common set of rules makes sense.

dumbass.
Posted by anonymous thing on October 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM · Report this
How's the city supposed to generate revenue now? Say, aren't photo lights known to actually increase the number of accidents at intersections, and cities across the country are outright banning them, or proposing measures to ban them? http://www.motorists.org/red-light-camer…

Posted by Spindles on October 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
@19 you make the nanny state sound awesome! A place where people drive safely for the benefit of all? I'm in! Can we get them not to pass on the right as well? That'd be swell!
Posted by wxPDX on October 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
@20: I (@19) was kidding. Guess that wasn't fully obvious.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on October 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 24
@22 let me guess, you're an engineer for Google self-driven cars, right?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Mahtli69 25
Those are fucking awful! I want one.
Posted by Mahtli69 on October 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
here in the netherlands even the stuff that proven doesnt even work (like hanging a CD from your mirror) is illegal.
no one comes between the state and their milkcow.
Posted by dutchie on October 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 27
@5- Or ride a bicycle.

(I ride a bicycle. I ignore traffic laws when it can't possibly inconvenience anyone. I got pulled over once for it and the cop let me off because I didn't argue with him.)
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 28
@20- You can't even cross the street in a major city without the man telling you where and when to do so. How can you claim to be free?
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 23, 2012 at 7:19 PM · Report this
sirkowski 29
I don't see how that can be legal. Anyone who funds this is a sucker born yesterday.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on October 23, 2012 at 8:20 PM · Report this
sirkowski 30
@23 I thought it was funny.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on October 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM · Report this
100 bucks says this doesn't work
Posted by Tawnos on October 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM · Report this
Captain Wiggette 32
Having successfully fought (which still took considerable time and more than one court appearance) a totally bullshit ridiculous red-light camera ticket I received during the midst of last year's Snowpocalypse, I support any and all attempts to dismantle or impede the efficacy of these bullshit money-making projects.

Red-light cameras are nothing more than profit centers. If you want public services (which I do), then have the balls to raise taxes on people. Fuck the vulture ticket-gathering. It should not even be done under the auspices of 'law enforcement.'

If everyone who received one of these bullshit tickets actually took it to court and forced them to go through the effort of actually prosecuting you for it, the profit motive would dry up right quick. It costs a lot more than $140 to hire a magistrate to sit through a preliminary hearing, then to pay a judge, a prosecutor, and a police detective to show up and sit through an actual trial. Even if you end up having to pay the fine, it ends up costing the city WAY more than what they collect from you.

People need to stop making it easy, and actually fight these things, and all these bullshit cameras will go away.

Posted by Captain Wiggette on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM · Report this
@19 How awful that the nanystate is infringing on your right to drive. Oh wait, there is no right to drive. That's why states can restrict that *privilege* to those who have obtained a license by passing a driving test.
Posted by mtiffany71 on October 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM · Report this
I support the right of bicyclists to ignore all traffic laws, because bicyclists are cool and hip and better than everyone else. But not car drivers, because cars are nasty. Besides, as a hipster I can't afford a car so you shouldn't have one either.
Posted by Mister G on October 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM · Report this