dnt trust me 1
Live DJing doesn't get me excited that much. Just popping in a Mix CD is almost the exact same thing.
Posted by dnt trust me on October 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 2
A truly amazing thing happened in Chicago tonight.

In the first Free and Equal Elections Foundation Third Party Debate (more info in this thread), voters heard discussion of policy issues far beyond the narrow, pre-approved questions put to Obama and Romney in their three orchestrated private debates.

We heard a wide range of perspectives from Jill Stein, Rocky Anderson, Virgil Goode, and Gary Johnson on six urgent questions affecting the American people today, covering:
● the war on drugs and legalization of marijuana,
● military spending,
● financing of public education,
● the indefinite detention provision of the 2012 NDAA,
● and how each candidate would amend the constitution.

Despite a broad spectrum of views, there was one thing that all of these candidates agreed on: that American democracy today is suffering under the constrictive control of the Wall Street-financed Democratic/Republican political establishment. (Full video of the event will likely soon be posted at Free and Equal's site.)

At the end of this event, it was announced that viewers can now vote on their preferred candidates from tonight's debate, and the two winners of the instant runoff election will be invited to a second debate, to be held next Tuesday, on topics of international policy.

I sincerely hope The Stranger will do the right thing and report on this historic event to its entire readership.
Posted by Ipso Facto on October 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM · Report this
"Foot Locker is waaaay to cheap..."

That's quite the distance.
Posted by Faber on October 23, 2012 at 8:23 PM · Report this
Is that guy voting on the short ballot? MIne was as long as the Torah and had almost as many unrecognizalbe names on it (though fewer Jews).
Posted by kinaidos on October 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM · Report this
Looking at that first pic I see you forgot to mention MR. BUN E CARLOS!
Posted by legacy builder on October 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 6
I was going to come vote, but I took a nap and watched tv instead.
Posted by MacCrocodile on October 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 7
Tell Bob Ferguson that I voted for him, and it was a great feeling!
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 8
I would have loved to have been there, but we had a dinner to go to. I do hope everyone had a grand time.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay on October 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM · Report this
Lissa 9
I had a blast! The space was lovely, and it was nice to see and hear the candidates. And Jesus, the drinks are strong! Strong enough to give me the courage to ask Dan to take a picture with me. ::blush::
Posted by Lissa on October 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM · Report this
Had a great time! Met Kshama Sawant, whose name I will butcher slightly less in conversation now, and Dan Savage, who convinced me to vote for Barack instead of the Green party.

Ultimately my rights as a middle class white male are not that in jeopardy, so I'm willing to give Obama a bigger mandate on his agenda, even if I disagree with significant sections.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on October 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM · Report this
Did someone claim they were Gay Dude For Romney? Or SROTU?

They're such dedicated trolls, and rather loathsome, but I'd respect them a tiny bit if they had the gumption to introduce themselves in person,
Posted by Warren Terra on October 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 12
The entire Free and Equal Elections Foundation Third Party Debate can be viewed in full at Ora TV.

After you've watched the debate, be sure to rank the candidates by order of preference in Free and Equal's instant runoff poll to determine which two candidates will advance to the second debate, to take place next Tuesday, October 30th.
Posted by Ipso Facto on October 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM · Report this
Oh good god, Ipso, we know, we know...
Posted by sarah70 on October 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM · Report this
Simone 14
I wish I could have been there. But instead I filled out most of my ballot at home, watched tv and fell asleep watching tv.
Posted by Simone on October 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM · Report this
I wish I could have attended. I used to take my children to the ballot box. I have always thought it was imperative that they understand, voting is not only a right but a responsibility. We did sit down after dinner this evening, and go over the ballot and pamphlets. While it is ultimately my vote, I encouraged them to offer their thoughts. Next time, can you consider an all ages bar/ restaurant? I realize the venue may not be as big, but one could not even attend if they are 18. Maybe it is just my experience, but acquiring the right to vote was a thrill when I turned 18. I am not talking about young children running around screaming. A minimum of 14 years on the planet would be adequate.
Posted by pussnboots on October 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM · Report this
I'm starting to appreciate this mail-in ballot thing, as spiritually satisfying as voting in person was. It's a lot easier and flexible, and it has the benefit of being more resistant to voter suppression (though it's not immune). Now I wish more states did early mail-in voting. Maybe it would get turnout up.

I think I'm preaching to the choir here, but in the off chance that I'm not, don't forget to vote! If you don't want to, you don't have to vote for every damn thing (though you should). Let's make Washington the state with the highest turnout!
Posted by floater on October 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM · Report this
After hearing him speak tonight at the event, and after researching his opponent more, I am honestly baffled as to why the SECB did not endorse John Urquhart for Sheriff. First of all, it took stones for Urquhart to show up when he wasn't endorsed, but he is the clear choice for progressives! He has a higher SEAMEC rating, and he is the sole endorsee of FUSE and over 20 Democratic organizations.

What gives? I encourage everyone to do their own research on this race.
Posted by Whodunit? on October 24, 2012 at 4:48 AM · Report this
Last night was a blast. I took my daughter, and she filled out her ballot there. Since she has in the past, not bothered to fill out her ballot, I felt it was my patriotic duty to buy her drinks, make her vote, and have a good time in the process. Win all the way around. Most fun voting has ever been. We got a picture with Dan, and got a chance to explore Q Nightclub. Cool venue, but it needs food.

I highly recommend voting parties in the future. Terry had a great idea for this one.
Posted by SeattleKim on October 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM · Report this