ERIN! 1
I have a definite pit in my stomach, so I'm phone banking twice next week.
Posted by ERIN! on October 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM · Report this
Thank you for posting this. I phone banked tonight for 3 hours. I was terribly intimidated going in and within 3-4 calls I was in my groove. I was supported by a great group of dedicated volunteers, many who were also there for the first time.

I urge everyone who can to donate time. These calls make a difference. I spoke to 3 people who were on the fence and who welcomed the opportunity to have the conversation. Every little intervention can help.
Posted by Dod on October 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM · Report this
I'm extremely nervous about phone banking, but will show up on Saturday in Bellevue, possibly with my wife. The "Reject R74" signs that sprung up in my community this week finally inspired me to try and make a bigger splash on this issue.
Posted by Tawnos on October 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM · Report this
I'm a Democrat, but I really like Mayor Bloomberg.
Posted by minderbender on October 25, 2012 at 6:18 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 11
The trolls are heavy on this one. That said, I can't phone bank this weekend but am going to next weekend.

But I did donate a couple hundred dollars last night to help pass this. If you can't donate cash, donate time, if you can't donate time donate cash. But at least donate something!!

BTW, we may want to reconsider our taking a proverbial shit on everything east of the Cascades after this is done.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM · Report this
Posted to all my Washingtonian friends' Facebook walls with a link to this slog post. Hope good triumphs today.
Posted by The fag on October 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM · Report this
I'd love to volunteer with the Phone Bank events, but I'm out of state. Any possibilities?
Posted by The fag on October 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM · Report this
smajor82 14
@9 Please don't feed the troll. It's like giving Donald Trump air time - it only leads to more desperate cries for attention.
Posted by smajor82 on October 25, 2012 at 7:42 AM · Report this
kim in portland 15
Three phone bank locations in OR. BRO is going door to door in SW WA. And, another donation being made.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on October 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM · Report this
We have phone from home opportunities--you can call from ANYWHERE in the country! Email andrew@washingtonunited.org
Posted by Magthomp on October 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM · Report this
@13 We have phone from home opportunities -- you can make calls from ANYWHERE in the country! Email andrew@washingtonunited.org.
Posted by Magthomp on October 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM · Report this
pfffter 18
I've been scared to phone bank but I'm going to stuff my anxiety and do it anyway. I don't want to wake up on Nov 7 to have my rights trampled on. Again.
Posted by pfffter on October 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 19
What is being said to counter the lies?
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM · Report this
I phone banked for the first time last week. I was nervous too but it was amazing and not only did I move 2 uncommitted to "likely" but I talked to people already wholeheartedly supporting R-74 and got to listen to their stories and get pumped up together.

You'll always get those hang ups or rude resistance but it's fun to be around other bankers and share the good, the bad and the crazy. Plus it's worth knowing you did everything you could to be on the right side of history!!
Posted by alison03 on October 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Geni 21
Yard sign, lapel pin, sign in the window of my truck, more or less constant messages on my Facebook about it...oh, yeah, and I donated. I think my position on the issue is fairly clear. ;-)
Posted by Geni on October 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
venomlash 23
@22: You want him to show it to you? Up real close?
Posted by venomlash on October 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM · Report this
So my first thought was "a basketball metaphor in a gay rights post?" Followed by "oh right, it's a woman."

Apparently all the gay writers I am accustomed to reading are men.
Posted by Learned Hand on October 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Occupy Seattle 25
When you're getting out the vote for R74, remember to tell everyone to vote for Democrats too. Especially Jay Inslee, Kathleen Drew, and Bob Ferguson. You guys have any idea how royally Tea Party Republican Governor, Secretary of State, and Attorney General can fuck this up for us? It's not enough to pass the initiative. We need strong, progressive leaders who'll make sure the law gets implemented. I am so sick and tired of Republican assholes like Rob McKenna, Kim Wyman, and Reagan Dunn who think they are fooling voters by talking out of both sides of their mouth and cleverly remaining silent on these important social issues. No doubt they would have thought freeing slaves too early was dangerously partisan in the 1800s, and allowing women to vote was rabidly progressive in early 1900s. Where do these cretins come from?
Posted by Occupy Seattle on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM · Report this