Pope Peabrain 1
Mayor Bloomberg should tell the people coming for the marathon to bring food and clothes and money for donations. That will change some attitudes.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
I heard that North Korea has an elephant that can speak 250 words, in three different languages.

Also, food is plentiful.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on November 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM · Report this
TVDinner 3
I dearly wish that lady would break into my house and clean it.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on November 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
Marathons are cool for the super elite athetes who train months and years to participate.

But when people like Oprah participate and haul their lard asses over the finish line after 5 or 6 hours...well marathons not only become stupid, they become jokes.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM · Report this
Isn't the marathon pretty much an international event? Seems a little too late to call the thing off.
Posted by Conrad McMasters on November 2, 2012 at 8:47 AM · Report this
biffp 6
@1, they're bringing $100m+. It's not "too soon" for the marathon. You're never going to please everyone.
Posted by biffp on November 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM · Report this
Keister Button 7
Have runners do the marathon on power-generating treadmills.
Posted by Keister Button on November 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
@4 Oprah made a billion dollars hauling around her lard ass and crying about it all the way to the bank.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 2, 2012 at 8:54 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 9
@8, yep, there are a lot of suckers out there who gave her that money too.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM · Report this
wingedkat 10
Eh, I think they probably should cancel the marathon. Since it isn't canceled, I think it could be used to highlight the situation and the problems.

Why all the hate for marathons? I mean, to elevate a headline about disliking marathons over all other news, that's pretty intense.
Posted by wingedkat on November 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
The marathon will bring in tens of millions of dollars for an area that desperately needs it. Hotels, restaurants, caterers, taxis, stores -- they'll all benefit.

Yes, it's awkward and far from ideal, but canceling it would do far more damage than holding it. And I bet a lot of those marathoners will step up and make donations to the relief effort.

Posted by bigyaz on November 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 12

They need this in New York:

Students at the Ariel Academic Center were requested to create a compact, mobile ecological home, to be used in disaster-struck areas and provide its tenants with the full amenities, without using electricity.

The students ended up designing a unique ecological home, based on hydrogen...

Also

A new deal calls for development of a 100 kilowatt, outdoor containerized hydrogen power system at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on November 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
Agreed, @6 and 11. The organizer quoted in NYT sums it up:
“I understand the controversy completely and respect all the views on this, but any decision that was made by the mayor would have been controversial and to call off the race would have been equally as controversial,” Hirsch said. “By Sunday afternoon, there won’t be any controversy. People will view it as an early step in the city’s recovery.”
Posted by gloomy gus on November 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM · Report this
Scarlet, the color, only has one T. Scarlett, the name, has 2. I thought you were referring to a woman named Scarlett Alphabets. Like a Carmen Sandiego-type.
Posted by Scarlett Alphabetts on November 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 15
RE: Bartender heart surgery fundraiser.

Very nice of the donors and I hope this works out.

That said, affordable medical care should be available to everyone, not just the popular and/or wealthy people.

Also, @14, I was confused too. Two t's?
Scarlet = vibrant red color
Scarlett = Johansson
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 16
"Meanwhile, somewhere else in the city, a fleet of commuter cyclists is gloating so hard right now."

I heard they all drowned because they couldn't evacuate far enough fast enough.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on November 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 17
@all, I'll admit part of my hatred of marathon stems from years of listening to all the runners in my life bitch about how hard it is to train for a marathon. It's like listening to women bitch about how long it takes to get their hair done.

That said, I predict it's going to shit show--a totally avoidable one.

@14, 15 thanks and fixed!
Posted by Cienna Madrid on November 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 18
Mayor Bloomberg is a horrific misogynist. Just as it is an affront to a woman's dignity and privacy to require an ultrasound before an abortion so it is to lock up baby formula and coerce breast feeding in maternity wards.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 19
@15
I'll be giving generously. Murray is personally responsible for serious (and loving) damage to my liver. But I'm a bit boggled by this...

A good bartender (and he's a great bartender) can carry home $300-$500 in cash tips several nights a week... We're not talking "working poor" here.

How does he not have insurance? (I agree it's expensive if you’re buying it on your own, but shit dogs man... at 63 it’s just a matter of time. Especially in a field as physically taxing as bartending).

As I recall, when he left Zig-Zag, he had a shoulder surgery… surely the bills from that must have hinted at the value of (even expensive) insurance, and any preexisting condition waiting period has long passed since that medical event.

It breaks my heart to see good people make bad choices...

Again, I’m glad to be able to give generously to his cause and absolutely will be doing so. But I also hope this will be a learning experience for other others… use those tips wisely.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on November 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
marathon is an epic fail.

and tarnishes bloomberg,

and by extension tarnishes his new boy barack....
Posted by President Romney will be more sensitive.... on November 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM · Report this
seatackled 21
If we don't hold the marathon, the hurricanes win.
Posted by seatackled on November 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 22
Marathons are great, actually, at least if you can finish first, in my personal opinion.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM · Report this
"A woman accused of breaking into a home west of Cleveland, cleaning it and leaving a bill for $75 " --- Damn! I'm sure I dated her a few years back.....

BREAKING NEWS

Mitt Romney endorses President Obama for four more years ! ! !

With the amazing kinds of endorsements this week for President Obama --- Gen. Powell, Gov. Christie's kind words-almost-endorsement, and Mayor "Elizabeth Warren is a socialist" Bloomberg of New York City's recent endorsement, it should come as no surprise that Obama's opponent, Gov. Romney, has now endorsed Barack Obama for the presidency in 2012 --- "...another four for President Obama," said Romney to a shocked crowd!

When questioned by reporters, Gov. Romney said: "Some months ago my Mormon magic underwear began itching like Holy Hell. At first I thought it was a bad case of crotch rot, or maybe something I'd picked up from Ann."

"But then, during the last debate, every time I agreed with the president, the itching miraculously ceased for a time. Then after it started back up, I thought, 'Why not endorse Obama...' and it stopped all together, and I realized it was celestially ordained that I endorse President Obama for four more years."

So listen to Mitt Romney's magic underwear and:

VOTE OBAMA ! ! !

[Official disclaimer: sgt_doom is an arch-supporter of Dr. Jill Stein of the Green Party, and voted for her. Were there enough people of sound mind remaining in America today, no doubt she would win the presidency, but such is unlikely to be.]
Posted by sgt_doom on November 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
Fave marathon shit-show tweet today, no surprise, rob delaney: "NYC welcomes marathoners but if you don’t cross the finish line carrying 80 lbs of trash you get a big weird yam put up your butt."
Posted by gloomy gus on November 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 25
18, So breast feeding a baby is the equivalent of having a ultrasound probe inserted into a woman's vagina?

You do know that mothers can get formula if they request it? They are given a choice. The medically unnecessary vaginal probe insertion is not optional. Forced penetration is mandated by the state.

You are the epitome of the low information voter.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on November 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
"He's learned how to say the words "no" and "annoying," which is really all the vocabulary you need when you're an elephant trapped in a zoo." -- hate to kill your joke, but the word is "annyong", which is Korean for "hello/hi".

"He can also make the sounds annyong (hi), anja (sit down) and aniya (no), according to a team of scientists from South Korea and Europe who studied his vocalisations."

Guess you're not a fan of Arrested Development?
Posted by MemeGene on November 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 27
@25: Of course they can request the formula, they shouldn't have to. That's my point.

Let me make it plain for you:

It is not the role of government to restrict women from having an abortion (yes, I disagree with the right-wing of my party here.)

It is also not the role of government to coerce a woman how she feeds her baby.

Please think before you type.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 28
@19,

Given how much you hate Obama, it's not surprising your willful ignorance of the fact that, until 2014, anyone with a preexisting condition cannot get insurance at any price.

P.S. Fuck off.
Posted by keshmeshi on November 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 29
27, Absolutely no women are being coerced to breast feed their babies. If they want formula, they get it. You are outright lying.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on November 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 30
@28
Not quite true.

A pre-existing condition can affect your health insurance coverage. If you are applying for insurance, some health insurance companies may accept you conditionally by providing a pre-existing condition exclusion period.

Although the health plan has accepted you and you are paying your monthly premiums, you may not have coverage for any care or services related to your pre-existing condition. Depending on the policy and your state’s insurance regulations, this exclusion period can range from six to 18 months.

After that exclusion period, the condition is covered.

P.S. Suck my cock cunt.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on November 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
venomlash 31
@26: Annyong.
@27: New mothers shouldn't have to request formula, you say. So...the hospital should just give all of them formula whether they want it or not? Instead of letting those who want it just ask for it?
That's the most ridiculous thing I evah hoid. Haters gonna hate.
Posted by venomlash on November 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 32
@31: Yes, they can "just ask for it":

New Mother: "I want to switch to the bottle now, so please get the"
Nurse: "Are you sure?"
New Mother: "Yes"
Nurse: "But studies have shown that babies"
New Mother: "JUST GET ME THE DAMN FORMULA!"
Nurse: "Yes, ma'am. It will be a few minutes. I'll be back."

Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Pick1 33
@32 That's exactly how it goes every time! Clearly you have tons of experience being a gay dude and all...
Posted by Pick1 on November 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Pick1 34
@32 Also equivocating that minor annoyance of a nosy nurse to having an ULTRASOUND PROBE SHOVED INTO YOUR VAGINA seems to epitomize your Republican worldview.
Posted by Pick1 on November 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 35
32, Why do you need to resort to making shit up? Are you incapable of telling the truth?
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on November 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Keister Button 36
The 2012 NYC Marathon has been cancelled.
Posted by Keister Button on November 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM · Report this
Sandiai 37
"I dearly wish that lady would break into my house and clean it."

@3, especially for $75.00!
Posted by Sandiai on November 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 38
"No" and "annoying" are really the only two words you need to know if your an elephant trapped in South Korea.

Hard to believe people still think it's OK to climb into an automobile after drinking. Maybe we ought to do what Sweden does. A drunk driver there goes to the pen for quite a while.

Too bad Il Bistro and Zig Zag, et al. couldn't honor its employee enough to cover him for heart surgery. Makes me want to withhold my patronage. You'd think a $30 entree would be enough profit to do that. Yea! Obamacare!
Posted by Bauhaus I on November 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM · Report this