Newest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
35 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy
Puke! Gag! Vomit! People who eat each others feces are SICK! SICK! SICK!
Posted by Wicked Willie on November 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 33
@32
He who laughs last laughs loudest.
That whole arch of history thing always bites the bigots in the end.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on November 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM · Report this
OutInBumF 32
Too amazing for words. Thank you Washingtonians, even the ~30% in E WA who voted to approve. Not EVERYONE is a religious nutjob over here.
2012- vengeance for 2004. Let the Right feel the despair we all felt that year, with pleasure.
Posted by OutInBumF on November 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 31
Kudos to Ed Murray and Jamie Pedersen who built the foundation, to the legislature for being courageous enough to take this step, the governor for rallying the legislature and signing it, and for Washington State itself for becoming the most progressive state on the West Coast. We had so many awesome allies in this fight - I'm thinking of Music for Marriage Equality, the Stranger, our resident local rich people, corporate and editorial support across the board, and a very hard-working community, especially WUM. I made the largest donation of my life to WUM and it was worth every single penny.

We bitch a lot about our love of process and how slow it seems things go, but in my mind, our victories tonight validate our policy of incremental change. Kudos.

(and grats to Maryland, Maine, and Minnesota too!)
Posted by Pridge Wessea on November 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Now let's hope that if the bigots every amass another campaign war chest and try to take marriage equality away, the 9th Circuit will hold that marriage inequality violates Equal Protection and that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse* and their Bitch** don't overturn that holding.

*That would be Roberts, Alito, Thomas, and Scalia.
**And that would be Kennedy.
Posted by PCM on November 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
MetalHeadCrab 29
This has been such an exciting election. It feels like a birthday celebration. I'm proud of this state and its people. Lets light a blunt and get gay married.
Posted by MetalHeadCrab http://www.last.fm/user/MetalHeadCrab on November 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 28
Yes! Bravo and thank you to all who did something to make this happen; cash, time, effort, talking, walking, anything and everything. Equality marches forward.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
So glad that my state of Maryland did the right thing and supported equal marriage last night. Good times!
Posted by Patricia Kayden on November 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
As an adult I have lived in MA, IA, and WA. We will win the day, and last night was proof.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Wherever you are, Loveschild and Seattleblues, we're thinking of you. You'll see -- this won't be so bad as you fear. But if the new law somehow breaks up your marriage, write and let us know. What the anti-gay movement has always been lacking is poster children, people whose otherwise happy het marriage failed because a gay person somewhere got married.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on November 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
PLEASE HELP SHARE THE WORD AND SUPPORT YOUR FAVORITE COUPLE WHO JUST GOT THE BEST RIGHT EVERYONE DESERVES ~ In Honor of Referendum #74 I am running a contest for 2 same sex couples to win a FREE Couples/Engagement Session. Simply send 1 photo and a short Description of the love these two share to Jennifermaryphoto@gmail.com before Nov. 14th. I will then post an album and the Male/Male & Female/Female couple with the most like/comments will win. Contest will run from Nov. 15th- Nov. 20th & winners will be announced on Nov. 21st. Enter your Favorite same sex Couple today : )
Posted by JenniferMaryPhoto on November 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 23
So happy I'm peeing myself!!!
Great work WUM... The "community" really needs to find some way to reward WUM... I think oral sex on demand for a year MIGHT be a start.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on November 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
pfffter 22
If you want to hug somebody, go to the Capitol Hill Action Center and hug those folks. I just went by there to give them bear hugs and thank them for making it so easy for people to get involved. If I hadn't gone out canvassing every day since the Elway poll was released, I would have gone absolutely bat shit crazy. WA United are all heroes in my book.

I just hope I can stop crying at some point. What a day.
Posted by pfffter on November 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
So proud of my home state - I have been bragging to everyone all day! Could not be a prouder moment!
Posted by jwlsesq on November 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Congrats! We (California), of course, managed to fuck it up four years ago.

Hey, whatever happened to Loveschild? This would be a good post for him/her to get a piece of.
Posted by California on November 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Super big thanks to Ed Murray and Jamie Pedersen for laying the groundwork for the great R74 campaign team by passing domestic partnership first. That less pizzazzy step really got momentum going, even though a lot of us were screaming at you at the time to start with marriage equality or nothing. You guys led us and the legislature in the march to get here, and we appreciate it SO MUCH.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Baconcat 18
You know who else loses? Out of state pessimistic scolds that said polls were wrong, the ads were wrong, the approach was wrong and that they weren't giving any money because they were sure we would lose.

Double loss if they said the same in 2009.
Posted by Baconcat on November 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 17
Congratulations Washington! (And Seattleblues, wherever you are, suck it.)
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM · Report this
merry 16
OMG I AM TOTALLY TEARING UP AT WORK

What a wonderful, historic, momentous day this is!! I am so, so proud of my fellow Washingtonians, standing up for civil rights for ALL citizens!!

I need to hug somebody! :-D
Posted by merry on November 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM · Report this
smiller555 15
I am so happy about this. I may never get married but that's not the point. I CAN IF I WANT TO. That feels amazing.
Posted by smiller555 http://smiller555.com on November 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 14
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure someone was here just the other day telling us the ads being aired were too nice and would never work. Someone must have counted wrong.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM · Report this
Equality should not be up for public vote !!! For this reason, I will refuse to get gay married. Well, that and being straight and already married. Whatever.

P.S. Congrats fags!
Posted by butterw on November 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 12
I'm simply delighted and shedding tears of joy from up here! Well done, indeed.
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on November 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
The reality of course is that none of this has to do with "marriage" in the first place. The state is simply creating a partnership contract - which is why you have to go to court to terminate it.

This is why the whole opposition thing was so silly and unfounded. This is simply a matter of equal civil rights for all WA Citizens to form partnership contracts.

BTW - I voted for R74 and am a follower of Christ. The phony religionist who use Christ's name are simply that.

Greg Logan
Posted by Aner on November 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 10
@7, I think that once it is offically legal here (December 6) your marriage will automatically be considered legit in Washington since you are married in California.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM · Report this
stinkbug 9
Maybe now CupCake Royale will offer their awesome Gay cupcake all the time instead of just one month a year.
Posted by stinkbug on November 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
I've never been more proud of my state. Thanks, Washington!
Posted by Karina on November 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Chef Thunder 7
Hey Dom my husband and I were married in California and are RDP'd here. i can't find anything as to what we will to do to have our marriage recognized here?
Posted by Chef Thunder on November 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM · Report this
kim in portland 6
Congratulations, Washington!
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on November 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
I because a citizen in June so this was my first time voting (other than the Aug primary). I'm so proud to have been a part of something as huge and life-changing as this.
Posted by originalcinner on November 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
treacle 4
I always thought it was an aberration to put minority rights to a popular vote, but I'm so glad the popular vote won it anyway!

I expect at least one lawsuit from the fundies, but I also predict that any such lawsuit will fall on its face immediately.
Posted by treacle on November 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 3
Everyone getting married: please send a set of your wedding photos to Maggie Gallagher! And to a few of those idiots from the TVW gay marriage vote tape, starting with that damned florist and the creepy old guy from North Bend.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on November 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
auntie jim 2
Free at last! And equal too!
Posted by auntie jim http://www.gaysnohomish.org on November 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM · Report this
pfffter 1
I'm so happy. Congratulations, Washington!
Posted by pfffter on November 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM · Report this