pfffter 1
What a fantastic result. YAY JOE!
Posted by pfffter on November 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
psbirch 2
w00t!

Out of curiosity, are the fees from other marriage licenses already ear-marked for specific uses?
Posted by psbirch on November 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
What a kick-ass solution. I hope he brags about it far and wide - fine work by head and heart,.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
great news. $64 comin at you 12/6.
Posted by northaxe on November 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Beautiful!
Posted by Jin Seattle on November 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
rob! 6
No relation to Jim McDermott, apparently...?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 7
Fuck yeah. We haven't set a date yet, but sometime in the next few months, the county will get our $64, and this is a great place for it to go.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Geni 8
@6 - No, Joe and Jim are not related. Yay, Joe, what a fantastic idea!
Posted by Geni on November 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
homosexual at-risk kids are more valuable than heterosexual at-risk kids.
Posted by extraspecial on November 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 10
So heartwarming!
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on November 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM · Report this
@2 A portion of the $64 fee goes to help victims of domestic violence: http://www.kingcounty.gov/courts/marriag…

@9 I know you're trolling but just FYI, Youth Care serves serves homeless youth, full stop.
Posted by arrkay on November 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM · Report this
Well done to pass these fees along to YouthCare and Lambert House where it will be put to great use. Our fee will be paid in full by 12/9.
Posted by Rebecca and Sara on November 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM · Report this
How were Youth Care and Lambert House chosen over other queer youth orgs, such as Queer Youth Space, Seattle Young People's Project, etc? Why was there no grant process? Or community input on where this HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY ended up?
Posted by me3 on November 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM · Report this
triceritemple 14
@13- you could ask Joe McDermott, he is active on twitter @JoeMcDermott8
Posted by triceritemple on November 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM · Report this
@13 Queer Youth Space was awarded $100,000 from the city in 2010 and then didn't even find a permanent site until August 2012 (http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archive…), a space which is still not open or actually serving youth. Forgive me if I'm sceptical bout their ability to serve at risk youth better then orgs already named.
Posted by kaligrrrl on November 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM · Report this
From what I've heard, someone from Youth Care was sitting next to Joe McDermott while phone banking and suggested it to him, and that's how they got $35,000. I'm advocating for transparency and equity in allocation of funds. I'd like to hear why one org is preferred over another, and what the process for choosing how government $ is allocated is with regards to choosing organizations. A month ago, Peace for the Streets by Lids from the Streets, an amazing org serving homeless youth, almost had to close because of lack of funding. API Chaya, an amazing org that has a program serving LGBTQ youth of color, is also in need of funding to maintain it's programming.

@14 thanks, I will ask Joe. I would love if Dominic also used his power as a reporter to ask these questions as well. That's how transparency works.

As to comment 15, Queer Youth Space does have a space, provided a summer leadership camp for 13 queer youth, and has hired all youth staff and is implementing programming. If you are ony reading the Stranger's coverage of Queer Youth Space, then I would understand your doubts. However, the staff of the Stranger has never showed up to any of QYS' programming, and the article you cited is incredibly misleading. The article Dominic wrote about QYS' search for a permanent space neglected to mention that the grant was incredibly restricted- it required an ADA accessible space on Capitol Hill. That takes time to find, and the youth worked incredibly hard to find it. And the new space is beautiful. I would encourage you to check out Queer Youth Space for yourself, which is something the Stranger's staff has so far chosen not to do.
Posted by Queer adult on November 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM · Report this
From what I've heard, someone from Youth Care was sitting next to Joe McDermott while phone banking and suggested it to him, and that's how they got $35,000. I'm advocating for transparency and equity in allocation of funds. I'd like to hear why one org is preferred over another, and what the process for choosing how government $ is allocated is with regards to choosing organizations. A month ago, Peace for the Streets by Kids from the Streets, an amazing org serving homeless youth, almost had to close because of lack of funding. API Chaya, an amazing org that has a program serving LGBTQ youth of color, is also in need of funding to maintain its programming.

Posted by me3 on November 10, 2012 at 2:07 AM · Report this
I'm confused. Are all 9 members of the Council really also on its Budget Committee? If you look at the Council website, it lists 5 people on that committee.
Posted by goMarriageEquality on November 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this