TVDinner 1
Huh huh, Romney got 47%. Huh huh.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on November 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM · Report this
In Louisiana, the parish-by-parish results were really interesting. Obama won the three parishes where there are big cities - Orleans, East Baton Rouge, and Caddo (Shreveport) easily, and a few very small, rural parishes that are mostly African-American. But he just withered and died in the suburban parishes. In Livingston Parish, a suburb of Baton Rouge and the rumored center of KKK activity for the entire state, Obama got less than 12 percent of the vote. In Cameron parish, which is rural and Cajun, Obama got only 10% of the vote.
Posted by Sheryl on November 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 3
I think you meant GOP intolerant, Dems tolerant.
Posted by Gern Blanston on November 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
blip 4
THEY WANT FREE STUFF
Posted by blip on November 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Pick1 5
I think it was when the Republicans came out against "math". As we all know, them Asians love themselves some math.

Ha! Ha! Racism.
Posted by Pick1 on November 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
An interesting twist is that historically, the strongest racists (the KKK and such) didn't really hate blacks so much as they hated those whites who wanted blacks to be treated as humans - they hated the white 'race traitors' much more than the blacks.

I'm sure some of that is still present. You hear it when they say "I'm not racist, I have black friends!" They still feel that blacks are inferior and they're outraged that any other whites could feel otherwise.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Laurence Ballard 7
From Savannah--High heat and humidity leave an oily sheen, slick and slippery, all over the body by day's end. That's racism in the South. It's pervasive; invasive. Unless you're living down here at present, it's difficult to express the sheer hatred directed toward the President from so many corners.

Which is not to say the South is any more racist than the North. Just quite different.
Posted by Laurence Ballard http://laurenceballard.com on November 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 8
@1 That kicks ass!
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on November 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 9
@7 But then, they hate so many people. They have made hate a cultural standard. The entire world knows what hate filled people they are. (yes, yes, I know, not everyone in the south hates... blah, blah, blah.)
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
SpecialBrew 10
Yeah, its about 8 states of the former confederacy "white vote" that skews the national numbers and makes it seem more out-of-whack than it is.
Posted by SpecialBrew on November 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Meh, I wouldn't generalize too much about the Asian-American vote. I've known plenty of new Americans from Asia, particularly but not only from Communist countries, who were just as smug, bourgeois and racist as any white GOPer (and plenty of lovely people, too: the point is, they're people, just like in every other racial group). But you have a point: Asian-Americans probably voted similarly to other Americans of comparable income and level of education, except with none of the history-based resentment that keeps (a lot of) Southern whites applying the paper-bag test before they step into the voting booth.

@5: Ha!

@6 It's true, some Southern racists have extremely affectionate relationships with "their" black folks (think Mammy). I've heard of somebody's grandmother in Nashville saying she wasn't a segregationist: she didn't care how close They lived to her as long as they didn't forget their place.
Posted by Prettybetsy on November 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 12

College graduates
People making more than $50,000
Anyone living in a suburb or less dense

Voted for Romney
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on November 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
I.C. Deadpeople 13
God bless America, except for the south.
Posted by I.C. Deadpeople http://www.16ghost.com on November 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM · Report this
I bet that over 50% of whites in Washington voted for Obama.
Posted by N in Seattle http://peacetreefarm.org on November 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM · Report this
venomlash 15
@12: Don't matter none. The important part is, more people voted for Obama than for Romney. Suck it, Trebek.
Posted by venomlash on November 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 16
I'd argue that Asians may be a tough nut for the current Repugs since, despite the small "c" conservative stereotype of Asians (polite! entrepneurial! good at math!) and regardless of whether there's any truth to it, they mostly have little religious belief or a different religious tradition that is simply not a good fit for the old God, Guns and Gays strategy that the Pukes relied on for the last few decades.

I think Buddhists, at least, are less culturally required to believe several impossible things every day before breakfast than Xtians. As the culture wars cooled off, the Rs tried to shift focus from G, Gs and Gs to All Lies, All The Time in Ann Coulter's echo chamber. Without having to constantly undergo cognitive dissonance, maybe Asians are more reality-based and less willing than whites to accept this new version of conservatism, either.

OTOH, Southern bigot culture probably explains it best.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on November 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
So do Southerners hate other folks as passionately as Slog Liberals hate Southerners?
Posted by You Are So Full of Shit on November 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
@17:

Riddle me this, Hoss: why should the rest of the country forgive and forget what happened in the South fifty years ago while Southerners get to cling to a grudge that's three times as old? You can have it one way or the other, not both. Did I say fifty years ago? Excuse me, I mean two nights ago, as in that pretty little election-night display at Ole Miss.

Yes, I know plenty of Southern white folks who are lovely, non-racist, Democratic voters. I know older white Southerners who still have traces of the racism they grew up with but who have managed to get over it long enough to recognize, twice, that Obama is the better leader. But you'll excuse the rest of the country if we're still a little jumpy in light of the *astonishing* news that still makes its way on the regular out of the lower right quadrant.

Please tell me you aren't one of those people who still call the French cheese-eating surrender monkeys or start goose-stepping and stiff-arm-saluting whenever something is German.
Posted by Prettybetsy on November 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM · Report this
What I've yet to understand is why Native Americans are so overwhelmingly Republican. My hunch is that there are cultural reasons, but I know very little about these groups.
Posted by floater on November 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM · Report this
Back in the 80s and 90s, Asian Americans voted overwhelmingly for the Republican presidential candidate - Bush, Reagan, Dole
Posted by natedogg on December 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM · Report this