Goldy…just call the Race. Step up and make SLOG relevant. It's not likely that the Seattle Times will decide to make the call, so who's the Paper of Record anymore in this State?

The numbers show that McKenna is not moving fast enough to close the gap. It's over.

Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on November 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
What's up with charter schools??
Posted by Micah on November 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
@2 still passing

apologies if this double posts

Posted by checkavailability on November 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM · Report this
1240 is still passing and the trend is for it to stay that way BUT there are enough votes still out there that if one or two of the bigger counties move enough, it could still fail.

That the Yes side has big bucks that could crunch the numbers and declare victory if they saw it (a la Yes on R74) and they haven't declared victory,well, I think that means they are worried.

Cross your fingers. Stranger things have happened.
Posted by westello on November 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM · Report this
On 1240, there are no large counties with large negative margins in votes to date ... also no late news developments that might have moved late voters.

I'd assume it passes, and the new backgrounds will be district by district and school by school.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on November 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Goldy 6
@1 We called the governor's race for Inslee and R74 on election night, but some folks are still nervous, so I'm plugging in the numbers.

I wish 1240 was in danger, but unlike Republicans, I put my faith in the data, not in my faith. SOS is the only statewide race that is truly in doubt, and Wyman is the odds on favorite to win it.
Posted by Goldy on November 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM · Report this
sperifera 7
It's quite interesting that there isn't the typical East/West divide on 1240 that we often see. KingCo is pretty evenly split, so is SpokaneCo, Wallax2Co same same, etc. I don't think that there is enough "strength" in any county to make up the difference. The SoS's map by county on this one is quite revealing.
Posted by sperifera on November 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM · Report this
@6 Goldy…I actually think this is becoming a story. The fact is, we don't have a media outlet of record in this State who can make the hard calls and be trusted by the voters.

The Seattle Times seriously eroded their authority with the stupid ad campaign.

Ohio was called for the President with a minuscule number separating the candidates, because by the numbers, we knew what vote was left. We know that same thing here. The numbers would have to be trending hard in McKenna's favor now and they just aren't doing so.

This is NOT a close race. We are nowhere near a recount. This race is o.v.e.r.
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on November 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM · Report this
According to the tracker I can report ballots dropped at the Ballard library box Monday have not yet been counted, if that's any indication/consolation.
Posted by gawd on November 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM · Report this
Catherwood 10
I think that, much like Eyman's nonsense, the charter school thing will be subject to lawsuits. IANAL, but I think there are constitutional issues big enough to drive trucks through. The other side, of course, has unlimited money to spend defending it, so we'll see what happens.
Posted by Catherwood on November 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM · Report this
Why does it take so bloody long to count the votes? What are we, Florida?
Posted by wxPDX on November 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM · Report this
@11: People can postmark ballots anytime up to Election Day.
Posted by maddogm13 on November 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM · Report this
I don't really mind the media being cautious with their calls. It's not like them calling it has any real significance.

If you look at the data and are convinced it really should not matter if a newspaper looking at the same data says the same thing.
Posted by giffy on November 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 14
I would rather they take a few days and be accurate with the voter count than magically have results. This was a huge voter turnout - we should be both proud and patient.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on November 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM · Report this
Benton's creeping back in the lead. That doesn't bode well for the Senate's integrity.
Posted by sall on November 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM · Report this
Why on earth is Spokane county, with 21,000 votes not counted, showing on the SOS site that their next update will be on 11/13? Almost all other counties, especially larger counties like it, will update tomorrow. Seriously? Is that a typo?
Posted by rzn2be on November 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM · Report this
@14 There's no reason to be patient. We have math. Facts. Numbers. We can calculate trends, and those trends tell us plenty about the race. This is why we knew we have a President on election night. That same process should be used here.

But, apparently none of the media in this State feel like doing their job. And yes, this matters, for a whole host of reasons.
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on November 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 18
Timothy, dear, I am talking about actual results, not trends. You are welcome to fuss with your spreadsheets and such.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on November 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM · Report this
Catalina…did Obama win the election? How do you know? There are MILLIONS of votes left to count!!!
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on November 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 20
Again, Timothy dear, you are welcome to fuss with your spreadsheets and such. They certainly have proven themselves before, haven't they? And the newspapers are more than welcome to make their projections. I just hope we won't end up with another Rossi/Gregoire farce. That is why I am happy to bide my time.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on November 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM · Report this
Catalina, Love…this race is not even in the ballpark of a Gregoire/Rossi recount.
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on November 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 22
Your lips to God's ears, Timothy dearest. I come from a long line of cynical black Irish bastards. It's in my DNA to worry, so worry I will.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on November 9, 2012 at 6:41 AM · Report this
The referendum has already been called for gay marriage supporters -- it's over. Why do people keep reporting the results as if it's not a done deal?
Posted by krall on November 9, 2012 at 7:27 AM · Report this