Jenny from the Block 2
A side benefit of this running series is getting to learn about all the fascinating people who also read Slog!
Posted by Jenny from the Block on November 13, 2012 at 8:26 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 3
This is just as interesting as the previous four were.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on November 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this
schmacky 5
Sorry...I still think this is pointless and unnecessary. No matter how many of these you post, no matter how blindingly obvious the incorrectness of the right's belief system, they won't stop believing it. They don't operate via logic and reasoning; the only thing they understand is winning and losing.

But happily, they lost. Let me say it again: THEY LOST. And unless the left screws it up or, somehow, they evolve, they'll keep losing, because the demographics have permanently turned against them.

When your enemies are making mistakes, don't interrupt them. So let them say stupid shit like this, and get out of the way.
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM · Report this
@2++
Posted by Ancient Sumerian on November 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 7
@5) No one is making you read it.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Rotten666 8
Rebecca Crawford is HOT.
Posted by Rotten666 on November 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 9
@Schmacky- it's all about independents and the perrenial undecideds. Show them, over and over, why the progressives are the better choice.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on November 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
TVDinner 11
I, too, am finding this series both engaging and inspiring. Get on with your bad selves, hardworking Obama supporters!
Posted by TVDinner http:// on November 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 12
@5 - I think we all know that they aren't interested in logic. Just enjoy everyone's stories. I'm loving getting a glimpse at the cool work that sane, intelligent people are doing every day, keep 'em coming :)
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on November 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
schmacky 13
Hey, I'm enjoying everyone's stories, in just annoyed at feeling like we have to respond to every imbecilic belief they put out there.

If Cal Thomas goes on Hannity and says all Obama voters eat babies for breakfast, will The Stranger start posting photos of people eating corned beef hash?
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 14
@13) Stop being deliberately obtuse. This isn't just one imbecilic belief. This isn't just one statement, as the post explains. This is a key component of the modern GOP's core political philosophy--and it deserves to be earnestly mocked.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
I like it. Keep posting them.
Posted by tkc on November 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM · Report this
I'm enjoying it.
Posted by MLM on November 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 17
@1: How about you send in a picture of yourself then, rather than seek shelter in internet anonymity?

I would rather be fat than a cowardly internet tough guy hiding behind a computer.

Do it, if you are not afraid to have your statements attached to your picture.

But you won't. You are a coward.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on November 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM · Report this
Lovely photos and stories! I am at work by 5:30 am each and every weekday myself (but way too ugly to photograph. LOL!).

This reminds me of the 47% response videos that sprang up during the campaign season.

Keep the stories/photos coming!
Posted by Patricia Kayden on November 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Cornichon 19
I second @15's comment. This is important stuff. It's a self-portrait of Slog readership, an unprecedented record of what it means to live in America in the 21st century. Not anonymous comment trolls but real people. Awesome.
Posted by Cornichon http://cornichon.org on November 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 20
@19) Thanks, dad!
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Chelydra_serpentina 21
Does anyone in Olympia who sleeps 'til noon "sleep" at a place that's hiring? Everyone I've ever worked for (including my current part-time job) will tell you I'm intelligent, hard-working, easy to get along with, and pretty damn good at anything you can throw at me.

My résumé, on the other hand, will tell you I've been spending the last 20 years farting around and trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. (As Dilbert once said, intelligence has far less practical application than you'd think.)
Posted by Chelydra_serpentina on November 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
It's a good series, but I for one favor not engaging in this discussion with the Cal Thomases of the world. Let them go unrebutted, continue misinforming their mush-brained audience, and drag the entire GOP apparatus to the bottom of the fucking ocean.
Posted by podcaf on November 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM · Report this
schmacky 23
Dominic, I love ya, and I swear I'm not trying to be obtuse. I just think that after the election we just had, it's simply not necessary to mock the crazy shit these people say, even if--especially if--it's a "core component" of their belief structure. In my view, the left is best served right now by letting the other side's stupidity stand nakedly on its own. It's been exposed. The nightmare is over. The right isn't going to win anymore, at least not anytime remotely soon, with this whole pitting people against each other thing. The country's demographics have now made that strategy untenable. The more they do it, the more they'll lose. Maybe that's overly optimistic, but I really feel there's been a shift. Their bullshit just stinks too much.

I like reading these...love hearing about people's lives and the cool/hard/sincere work they do. But you're blowing the lid off the fact that people are amazing and work hard and vote Democrat, and that is so completely unnecessary. You risk legitimizing their rank argument by responding to it, by dignifying it with a response.

If this is really at the core of what they believe--and I think you're right about that--then it just makes them look that much worse with the majority of voters for putting such a demonstrably ridiculous and offensive theme at the heart of their entire philosophy.

Keep posting stories. I like them, everyone likes them. I'm aware I'm in the minority here based on the comment thread, and maybe this kind of due diligence, if I may call it that, is necessary. I would just say we need to start acting like winners, and stop being so defensive. Let these idiots hang themselves. We don't have to help them do it.
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
That was nice. Now we just need Mark-at-the-print-shop's digits.
Posted by Prettybetsy on November 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 25
@23
The only problem with taking the high road is that - when a lie is repeated often enough - people will actually believe it. We've just seen how much, as incredulous as many of the lies were. But these people - with real names and occupations - are saying IT'S NOT TRUE, SO STOP MAKING THIS SHIT UP.
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on November 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
TacomaRoma 26
Shout out to Sean! Roosevelt class of '88 represent!
Posted by TacomaRoma on November 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM · Report this
schmacky 27
@25...I totally get what you're saying. But my point is that we are now in a different world. If Dominic launched this series on November 5th, it would be fine. But in my view a tipping point, or whatever you want to call it, has been reached. The right wing lie machine is crippled. The election results are so far out of line with the shit they were peddling, they've lost a crucial sliver of credibility. As of November 7th, Roger Ailes, Limbaugh, Karl Rove, Dick Morris, and all the other lying gasbags are bordering on being comic figures. They were exposed. Everybody caught on, or at least a majority did.

Thrre will be stops and starts, and 48% of the country are still delusional, listening to the wrong people, etc. But that percentage is dropping, and now, for the first time in a long, long while, the right has to actually say something worth refuting before anyone should bother.
Posted by schmacky on November 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM · Report this