Line Out Comments

Estey 1
You know, this really makes an impression (not just because soul patches have been NAGL for quite a while) because I actually don't remember Cale EVER having facial hair before. I'm sure he must have done the bohemian beard thing at some point, in one era of drug-fueled creative psychosis or another. But there's no photographic evidence of it, as far as I know. Even during the Sabotage days, when he was full on mutant redneck "pro-war," he was as clean-shaven as Joe Strummer had been since '76. Not even an ironic cop mustache, which would have made sense then.
Posted by Estey on November 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM · Report this
c'mon now, if we're not going to let Lou Reed's recent Metallica transgressions get in the way of his place in the rock and roll pantheon, we can certainly let this minor faux pas slide.
Posted by cb on November 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM · Report this
antiuser 3
Cale sported a moustache and soul patch back when he was in VU. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdmxj9…
Posted by antiuser http://antiuser.org on November 17, 2012 at 5:59 AM · Report this
Estey 4
@3 Hey, that looks pretty good in that context (beatniks weren't that long before, right?). I think the mustache makes it though. @2 I really liked the idea of Lou and Metallica -- maybe around the early 80s, with Lou going more raw like The Blue Mask and about the time of Kill 'Em All. Makes no sense, but that's a collaboration I could consider. I've never heard Lululululu so can't really say about that. Maybe it's great! I'll listen to it in thirty years and think about it then.
Posted by Estey on November 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Lulu is not great, Chris. Listening to it almost made me want to burn my VU box set in a fit of rage.
Posted by Dave Segal on November 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
stupid little people. soooo young and not seattle.
Posted by juan gabriel on November 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this