Dougsf 1
There Are No Words: Anatomy of a Migraine.
—EMP 2013
Posted by Dougsf on November 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
I'm a huge fan of Chandler Burr, especially because he is so passionate about scent and so tends to come off a bit insane. I generally find that sort of zealot personality tiresome (see: religion, politics, food) but I tend to love it when its directed toward art, style and design (including fragrance).
Posted by mitten on November 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 3
But we can clearly see the materials used to make a building. That's a huge part of the appeal of a Gehry. Why shouldnt we know what's in his stinky insufferable crap?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on November 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
How about this for a scent installation at the EMPSFMXYZABC: Old Rich Guy's Attic Full of Crap He Likes. They've got the curved walls and the crap, all they need are some placards and a really passionate olfaphile like Mr. Burr to sell it. If they don't have room for the placards, maybe we can sell P-Al some more land on the cheap so they can expand.
Posted by Corporations Are People Too on November 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM · Report this
disintegrator 5
Scent is so difficult as a shared experience, and I feel like that's such an essential part of art...

Still, oenophiles freak out together fine, so maybe I'm wrong.
Posted by disintegrator on November 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM · Report this
TheRain 6
This is the WASPiest load of bullshit in the history of WASPy loads of bullshit.
Posted by TheRain on November 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
I'm going to eat a pound of my special three-day-old refried beans and go to the Met and show them what olfactory art is all about.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM · Report this
Fnarf, dammit, you beat me to the fart joke. Surely they would not be so offensive as to dissect your fart ingredient by ingredient, but rather see it as a whole. I'd hate to see Burr inflamed -- but farts are flammable...
Posted by carnivorous chicken on November 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM · Report this
Another thought -- what about an olfactory (f)art-in, whereby several (dozen?) people visit the exhibit and do their best to out-olfactory the odorous art?
Posted by carnivorous chicken on November 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM · Report this
Fnarf 10
@8, there's always room for more. You could be over there, enjoying the results of nine stale PBRs, while I'm in the far corner preaching the gospel of beans.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
The perfumeries near Nice include a few museums of scent. Way more fun than the pebbly beach.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM · Report this
@10 How did you know what I drank last night?
Posted by carnivorous chicken on November 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM · Report this