what a dickbag.
Posted by Chester Copperpot on November 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM · Report this
You know, I never did get into any of his movies back in the '80s. Some were kind of funny, but for the most part, he came across as a smarmy git, always smirking at his own humor.
Posted by Corydon on November 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM · Report this
An asshole in show business! Next we'll learn that music executives can be unscrupulous!
Posted by Tyler Pierce on November 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 6
That's too bad. He was the only funny character on that show.
Posted by Free Lunch on November 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
What's all this talk about cheddar cheese?
Posted by paulus on November 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
matt 8
I thought the same thing when I read the news: we probably aren't likely to see him in anything good again. No one likes him. This was his last chance.

For some pleasant reflection, I recommend:
Posted by matt on November 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 9
I thought this would be a link to his obituary.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on November 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM · Report this
@9 - Hilarious!
Posted by Quelinda1 on November 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM · Report this
nater 11
@6, that show has some of the best writing and acting on television, with the awkward exception of any scene with Chase in it. He's a comic albatross.
Posted by nater on November 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM · Report this
TVDinner 12
Wow, that gawker article is incredible. I cannot even fathom how somebody could be such an asshole to others.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on November 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 13
@12 It seems pretty clear from the article: Cocaine. If you've never met anyone who's a heavy user, then I can understand your confusion. Cokeheads are all the same: complete & utter assholes.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM · Report this
seandr 14
@13: Yeah, definitely sounds like the glib narcissism of a coke head.

Posted by seandr on November 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM · Report this
Fnarf 16
I dunno, guys, his old 60s band Chamaeleon Church had a couple of pretty great songs -- "Camillia Is Changing", "Flowers In A Field", "Blueberry Pie".
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 17
@16 that was probably before all the coke.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on November 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 18
@11 - Believe me: I didn't mean that as a complement to Chevy Chase.
Posted by Free Lunch on November 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM · Report this
stinky 19
Have we sunk this low? Really?
Posted by stinky on November 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM · Report this
I knew one of the writers on Chevy's short lived talk show.

First day in, Chevy announced that Seinfeld wasn't funny ,the Simpsons weren't funny (and neither were every other successful comedian and comedy show of the period) and he, Chevy, refused to do unfunny comedy, like those successful comedians, and shows.

The writer knew the show was doomed from that day.

When the show failed, big time, Chase announced to the staff that he was going back to film, was really "a romantic comedy lead."

Good luck with that, asshole.
Posted by judybrowni on November 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 21
I knew I never cared for him. I was a big fan of SNL in it's first few years. We all looked forward to Saturdays in college. Chevy never seemed to be anything but a wise ass.
I didn't know until now, that's all he's ever been.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM · Report this
TheFang 22
That's nice, this way they can keep pretending that Community is coming back. Happy October 19th.
Posted by TheFang on November 22, 2012 at 7:47 AM · Report this
seandr 23
@16: And before that, there was "The Twist", his chart-topping song and international dance craze.
Posted by seandr on November 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM · Report this
Chase's style and him putting it up on stage, unique back in the 1980s, has now become rather widespread. The kind of asshole with the piercing, mean spirited wit that makes people crumble.

Everyone is now Chevy Chase.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on November 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM · Report this
Fnarf 25
@23, uh....Chubby Checker?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM · Report this
Fnarf, pretty sure seandr's just funning us.

(Of course, possibly you're funning us, too, and my sarcasm/irony meter is busted. Again.)
Posted by clashfan on November 24, 2012 at 7:49 AM · Report this