Pope Peabrain 1
If we made the church carry the cost of unwanted pregnancy, they'd change their tune, fast. And isn't the church totalitarian? Clearly they still think they're above the law. We've moved on. They lost, unless they can get the papists on SCOTUS to side with them.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Knat 2
Since when has the Catholic Church met a totalitarian state that it didn't like?

I guess it's when that "totalitarian" state is lawfully elected by the people and it dares to attempt widening its citizens' access to affordable healthcare. What a weird distinction.
Posted by Knat on November 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
There's no state more totalitarian than the Vatican.
Posted by sarah70 on November 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
dolan y
Posted by letired on November 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
For what it's worth, Day was a vigorous protester against the Franco regime, and often angered the church leadership with her staunch radicalism. Dolan hasn't been touting her arrests during protest actions (including ones in support of Cesar Chavez) in his campaign for her canonization.

There have been Catholic heroes (Day, St. Francis) who vigorously shook their fists against the Vatican. It's a sad state of affairs that we live in a time when most non-Catholics consider every Catholic a mule for the Vatican's yoke. But the radical Catholics have either been driven away from the church or have been too quiet—to declare oneself a radical Catholic won't win you friends from either side of the fence. (Though I'd like to think that if Day were alive today, she'd be working with other anarchists and religious groups to sabotage the border fences between the US and Mexico and leave caches of supplies for undocumenteds trying to cross the desert.)

There are some who still hold to the spirit of Day, holding to their Catholicism while rejecting the church's statism and refusing to be driven out. See Pat Thenell, who was profiled in our recent feature titled "Seattle's Best Christians":

"Catholic is what I am and I am proud to be that. I love the Catholic view of the world as good and graced by God. The message of Jesus tells me that we are called by our baptism to practice love, respect, kindness, justice, and hope every day. This message helps me to understand that the marginalized have a special claim to our care. I am angry that the leadership of the church seems to want to move the church back. Some of my friends say to just leave and join a different Christian community, but the Catholic Church is my church and I will not be driven out."

May the radical/anarchist Catholics out there (and, once upon a time, in some circles, they were not considered a non sequitur) keep up the good work and let Cardinal Dolan know what they think.
More...
Posted by Brendan Kiley on November 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM · Report this
First things first. So first there should be the canonization of Doris Day, a great singer and actress who never even got an Oscar.
Posted by Juan Alfredo on November 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM · Report this
Cynic Romantic 7
Maybe the GOP should start throwing a few sainthoods around?
Posted by Cynic Romantic on November 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM · Report this