6 1
I like to drop a notecard in the donation bucket that says "I will gladly donate money when the Salvation Army stops discriminating against the LGBT community. Happy Holidays!".
Posted by 6 on November 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
Perhaps a link to the home for homeless GLBT youth Dominic would be an appropriate link to add?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM · Report this
Hear, hear.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM · Report this
pfffter 4
My company is doing a donation drive for the SA. I sent out an email after they solicited donations that perhaps they should pick a charity next year that doesn't actively lobby and discriminate against the company's LGBT employees. The next day the office was plastered with SA posters.

Vomit. And Christians wonder why people hate them.
Posted by pfffter on November 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
ERIN! 5
Radio host Stephanie Miller learned this the hard way this week.

Posted by ERIN! on November 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
Same goes for Union Gospel Mission. Toss their anti-gay junk mail in the recycling bin.
Posted by IslandGuy on November 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM · Report this
Knat 7
I need to start spreading that factoid to my family members. There's inevitably a SA Santa outside most of the larger stores back home where my mother lives, and while she is very kind and accepting, she is a bit clueless. Knowing that the dollars she stuffs into those red buckets go towards discriminating against several of her friends might be enough to get her to stop.
Posted by Knat on November 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 8
...put a nickel in the drum, help another drunken bum.
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on November 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
SA is primarily an evangelical organization. Every act is part of their effort to convert people.
Feeding people is great. Feeding people just so they'll listen to your bullshit is less great. It's fine if you're family, sleazy if you're a timeshare, and creepy if you're a church.
Posted by dirge on November 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 10
I'm proud to say that my company's matching charitable contributions program explicitly rejects making matching donations to the Salvation Army. My understanding is that it's more for proselytizing reasons than discriminatory reasons, but it still pleases me.
Posted by keshmeshi on November 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 11
My company also chose a religious organization for this year's charity. Ruins the whole thing.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 12
@4 Congrats for standing up & saying something. Also, SA is not a charity, they are a church.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
I would like to add to the chorus saying this would feel less dickish if you'd posted an alternative link, like, say, Northwest Harvest.

Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
TLjr 14
Um, the only ones being dickish are the Sallies.
Posted by TLjr on November 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM · Report this
Sandiai 15
I've noticed that last year and this year people have been contributing much less coin to those buckets. I think word has gotten around.
Posted by Sandiai on November 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 16
I know here in Toronto there's some diversity amongst the SA ministries in terms of how they treat GLBT people. While some are awful, there's another that's one of the safest places for homeless trans men to sleep. So, I won't ever put money into the buckets, but I donate directly to that one shelter.
Posted by Canadian Nurse on November 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM · Report this