Line Out Comments

That album was always in the cutout bins back in the '70s. Sorry I didn't buy it.
Posted by ratzkywatzky on November 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM · Report this
First Bob Seger, now John Denver. I don't want to believe it but I do!
Posted by hificuz on November 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
John Denver was a plane down to earth guy.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on November 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM · Report this
Jiff 4
Why hate Denver? Good singer, good memorable songs. Wish there were young singerwriters taking the place of him and those like him, e.g., Dan Fogelberg, Kenny Loggins, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, John Sebastian, Gene Clark, David Gates, Seals & Crofts, America, John Prine, Jackson Browne, Jesse Winchester, etc... Those are just a few of the *second* tier artist of the 60s and 70s.
Posted by Jiff http://mtheads.yuku.com/forums/1/t/Music-and-more.html on November 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
@4 You are what is wrong with America.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on November 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM · Report this
This is a jam. Damn...
Posted by Dave Segal on November 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Jiff 7
Please explain how I'm "what is wrong with America". Thanks.
Posted by Jiff http://mtheads.yuku.com/forums/1/t/Music-and-more.html on December 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM · Report this
nipper 8
@4 I've always hated John Denver. I just hate hate hate his big moon face...heh! His memorable songs are what annoy me, they'd get stuck in my brain like singing bees!

As for songwriters I'll take Van Dyke Parks, Arthur Lee, Emitt Rhodes, Michael Browne, etc. I like some America and the first two Seals & Crofts are fantastic...its just so much singer songwriter feels benign. The '60s catalog for those songwriters you listed are far more exciting to me than their peppered with cocaine beards and denim '70s work...the refining of one's craft can take a bit of the soul and sense of immediacy out.

I think there may be good songwriters out there now, but style has changed. Kids arent informed by their "parents music" so much and the post beat culture that distilled that period doenst exist any longer.
Posted by nipper on December 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Jiff 9
"The '60s catalog for those songwriters you listed are far more exciting to me than their peppered with cocaine beards and denim '70s work...the refining of one's craft can take a bit of the soul and sense of immediacy out."

Yeah, and I agree to some extent with John Mellencamp (1st tier singer-writer) that a writer has 4 or 5 songs he writes over and over. And I've found that an artist has done his best stuff in his first 2 or 3 albums and after that it's refinement. Of course there are exceptions like Neil Young.

I suppose there are good young songwriters out there, I just haven't found many. Listening to new songs on KEXP, streams, Spinner etc, and new bands that Conan hosts, I wonder about their lyrics since they're often unintelligable. Kind of detracts from the song. Alice Cooper came on Conan with a new song a couple weeks ago and it towered above songs by other guests. I hardly ever listened to him in the 60s and 70s, too much good stuff back there.

Although I used to hate it, I'm listening to more new country as I can decipher the words, some of which is pretty clever, and the other genres aren't much competition. Two of the few good young lead guitarist/singer/writers reside there (Brad Paisley, Keith Urban).

I think the new musicians and writers are aware of their parents classic rock, and I'm wondering if they're just trying too hard to not sound like them. Too much progressive, experimental, psychedelic, art rock, whatever it's called. Give me those songs that get "stuck in my head like a singing bee".
Posted by Jiff http://mtheads.yuku.com/forums/1/t/Music-and-more.html on December 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this