Such a lovely pair of stories! The second's reflection on history reminded me of something my sister sent me, Alex Ross's terrific "Love on the March" in this month's New Yorker.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Yep. I recently had a "should I apologize" dilemma myself. The person in question wasn't gay, but I did something less than stellar once and for the past few years, after I figured out what was really happening, I've wondered whether I should apologize. After all, I'd be doing it mostly to make myself feel better, and it's possible that the person doesn't give a darn about the event itself any more.

One good thing about the holidays is that it's a fine time to send people cards and messages about old business like this.
Posted by DRF on December 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM · Report this
It's a very sweet story, but a debate about surrogate motherhood would seem useful. I'm queasy about people renting out their bodies like that, and I've read stories of some surrogate mothers (hopefuly not this one!) being underpaid, sometimes being treated horribly, and sometimes not receiving what they were promised.
Posted by Warren Terra on December 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
I remember the first time I marched in a pride parade. That was over forty years ago. My, how things have changed.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Commercial surrogacy is illegal under Norwegian law.
Posted by avr on December 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Now THAT'S a princess. Pretty good friend as well.
Posted by westello on December 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this
@3 Women can't be trusted to act in their own best interest based on anecdotal evidence that they are sometimes mistreated. Let's pass some laws to protect them from making choices.
Posted by By Golly on December 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
@9 I think banning surrogate motherhood would indeed imply just that, but right now the regulations and support systems just aren't there. Similar to my feelings about prostitution, it's not about banning it outright, but putting protections into place.
Posted by Marone on December 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM · Report this