What about "I smoke rarely and this won't change my habits."
Posted by plap on December 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 2
@1) That's fair, I added it.
Posted by Dominic Holden on December 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Has it occurred to anyone that "demand" may be related to "price" and we may not know about that until the future is here.
Posted by howie in seattle on December 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Though really, my increase in consumption from "almost never" to "occasionally" is probably not going to take effect until next year when it can be *purchased* legally, too. The pain in the ass/awkward social situations currently required to obtain it are the main reason it's been a while.
Posted by lilzilla on December 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
pfffter 5
I may actually smoke less now that I don't have to buy a huge quantity to keep around (that is, whenever I can buy it legally). Because if it's there, I'm gonna smoke it.

I'd love to be able to go out to the cafe and buy a spliff whenever I feel like it.

Dare to dream.

Posted by pfffter on December 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 6
I have rarely smoked it in recent years because it was too much of a hassle. When I was young, it was worth the trouble. Now that it will be legal, I'll light up. It's really fun and leaves no hangover. Now that we have HDTV, movies will be eye popping.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
rob! 7
Where's the option for "I'll prolly make a special road trip just to smoke up with my aging-hippie, chronic-pain-afflicted aunt & uncle, and not tell my cousins"?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on December 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Big Sven 8
Now that I am old, both weed and booze make me dull and sleepy.
Posted by Big Sven http://onedatapoint.blogspot.com/ on December 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
Started smoking for the first time in years the day the authorities released everyone arraigned for simple possession
Posted by wxPDX on December 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
Only if it's cheaper than booze and has the Beer Goggles Effect I rely on...
Posted by mubhappy on December 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 11
I haven't smoked pot since before most of you guys were born. Will I smoke a bowl every now and then after it's legal? Yeah, probably. But I don't see any big changes happening.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on December 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
brandon 12
If it stays 300 an ounce I won't be increasing my intake from zero.
Posted by brandon on December 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Here's one I'd like to see the answer to: if you live in Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Kansas, will you cross state lines to buy legal and illegally bring pot back to your state?
Posted by Westside forever on December 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
@13 according to the TSA, you can carry MJ with you on direct flights from CO to WA and vice versa.

But not to BC, cause then customs will jail you.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM · Report this
How I wish weed had proven to be worth the candle for me. I'm one of those it makes anxious, twice as voluble, and half as interesting.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
COMTE 16
Since my typical consumption cycle seems to be about 3-4 months smoking, 3-4 months not, I might see that change just slightly, but not significantly.
Posted by COMTE http://www.chriscomte.com on December 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
pfffter 17
@15 it makes me anxious from time to time. I just work through it.
Posted by pfffter on December 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM · Report this
No mention of edibles? I hate smoking, but I'm cool with digesting.
Posted by Brownies anyone? on December 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
I don't smoke and I don't see that changing.
But for everyone who does, go crazy.
Just please buy locally.
Support Washington state.
Support you local farmers.
But only non-GMO, organic pot.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on December 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM · Report this
I've never smoked anything (not even salmon). I had a weed brownie once and it made me cry. Ketamine gets me the same way. Drugs and me don't get on.
Posted by originalcinner on December 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 21
Maybe after I get a job. They still test for that sometimes.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on December 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM · Report this
"I don't smoke pot now and I sure as hell won't start." So strongly worded...
Posted by mhulot on December 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Knat 23
@21: Ugh, I had not considered that aspect. Damn. I'd love to give it a shot to have the experience, but not so much that I'm willing to shoot myself in the foot for a possible position I'm waiting on. I can't imagine legalization will change potential employers' behavior upon finding your drug test came back positive.
Posted by Knat on December 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
@14, do you have a source for that? I'm pretty sure planes operate under federal jurisdiction.

I stopped smoking several years ago because I stopped enjoying it. Its legality will not change that, but I am excited for the beginning of the end of marijuana prohibition.
Posted by ourkind on December 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
probably not. I used to be a total stoner but stopped because I could never get anything done. I smoke very rarely now, or at least not the amounts I used to. I can make an eighth last for about a month now. Before I was going through an eighth every other day.
Posted by seatowndawgtown on December 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM · Report this
Simone 26
How about "I'm not a smoker but I would like to make a flour-less chocolate pot cake (or whatever food item you choose)"
Posted by Simone on December 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 27
@23 - I've been a temp for years now. Not that I'm desperate to smoke up, but it's excruciating.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on December 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Baconcat 28
Don't really smoke but brownies.

OH YES, THE BROWNIES. THOSE DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE SQUARES OF "HOLD ON TO THE SHELF BECAUSE THE BED IS SLIDING TOWARD THE KITCHEN".
Posted by Baconcat on December 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM · Report this
Fnarf 29
@24, hah hah, you just asked Will in Seattle for a source for one of his idiot statements. When pigs fly.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Enigma 30
I'm excited to make some butter without worrying about my landlady smelling it while cooking. I'm not a big fan of smoking because the scratchy throat. But I do enjoy me some baked treats every few weeks.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on December 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 31
@14--You first, and let the rest of us know how it goes, OK?
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on December 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM · Report this
I don't live in Washington State and the state that I do live in doesn't even allow access to medical marijuanna. It has been maybe a year since I've had any weed because I just don't know where to get it. I would love to be able to buy some to manage my chronic pain. Marijuanna really helps with the cramping and tension that I get along with the pain. I wouldn't smoke much, but I'd certainly smoke more than I do now. Never had digestables - I bet I would like them.
Posted by Schweighsr on December 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Sachi 33
I haven't smoked dope for years but I am truly looking forward to my first legal joint, which I hope to share with my sons. :)
Posted by Sachi http://web.me.com/thorw/Claire_and_Sachi on December 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
@29: This may be one of the few things he's right about. TSA doesn't confiscate MM.
Posted by one of the few not-terrible things about them on December 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM · Report this
I'm Dutch. The Dutch smoke very little pot per capita. It is mostly considered a "blue collar" habit comparable to dipping tobacco in the US. Every fraternity has a guy who smokes pot (I was the guy in mine; but I went to boarding schools which are pretty much dens of dope smoking). Once everybody is drunk they will hit a joint passing around (Just like people start dipping once drunk). But it is really frowned upon in general.
Posted by Hajo Smulders on December 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM · Report this
beatgrl 36
We won't have to lie to the kid now, which will be nice.
Posted by beatgrl on December 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 37
Heeheehee... A retired cop (@11) says he'll "smoke a bowl every now and then". That is awesome.

These retired cops describing how the War on Drugs is a failure and a travesty are also pretty awesome.
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on December 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM · Report this
edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary 38

I think before i502, I laughed off negative effects of pot because of, and not in spite of, the fact that pot was illegal. Essentially, being told this thing was so terrible it must be outlawed, and then finding out it was far from that, struck down any credibility remaining in arguments against pot. Now we've taken that presumption off the table. And, maybe coincidentally and maybe not, I now see other, more personal, reasons for why I shouldn't smoke, e.g. I don't budget my time well.

But, that's just me. And I'm pretty proud of Washington for this vote.
Posted by edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary on December 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 39
@24 it was/is on the TSA website. News is a couple of weeks old.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary 40
Also, TSA is a federal agency. It comports with federal law or it doesn't get funded. No way would I trust that statement.
Posted by edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary on December 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 41
@29 to get pigs to fly, buy a copy of the iPad game with flying pigs and the birds that love them. There's a Droid version too. Me, I find the game boring.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 42
Please note, I think they basically said (unless they've changed it due to pressure from other feds) they would not allow liquid forms in large quantity, and it's only the personal exemption limit that applies in BOTH states (minimum of the two). Medical MJ has a higher limit. Can not be for resale.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 43
Like several commenters above, I was also a pretty big pothead during much of my twenties. I quit in order to be more productive and also to prove to myself that I didn't need it and that I am fully in control of my own choices. The exercise of self-discipline required to give up weed is highly empowering (in the same way that making a commitment to veganism is).

I think I've only smoked once in the past two years. But when its legal and readily available I'll probably toke up on occasion. In my experience MJ can -- in moderation and under the right circumstances -- enhance creativity considerably and conduce a pretty wonderful time. But smoking too much just leaves me foggy and groggy.

Like Macklemore raps (along with Prometheus Brown on the Blue Scholars track Tommie Chong... but you already knew that): "I'm not against legalization -- no, not at all/ I'm against glorification, you are not Snoop Dogg/ moderation -- that's the key/ the door is unlocked, it's up to you how you use it/ make the call".
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on December 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 44
I'm not sure the passage of i-502 will have much effect on people's smoking habits, and that was never really the point anyway. People who smoke regularly will continue to do so, people who never smoke will undoubtedly still refrain. Occasional smokers will do their occasional thing as always. People who were really hardcore about it signed up for medical cards long ago.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on December 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM · Report this
i'm pro-science and i vote 45
I am going to smoke it more anyway because my drinking has gotten out of control and I find that when I'm stoned, drinking makes no goddamn sense and doesn't sound like a good idea. That said..

I think it'd be great if more people got stoned more often in this state, in hopes of seeing great things come out of it: more psychedelic art/music/culture, more new innovative ideas, more thinking outside the box, etc.

I know it isn't for everybody, fine, whatever. A lot of people try it a few times and then decide they hate it and won't do it again because they had a bad experience with it, and they probably had a bad experience with it because they got waaay too high, and/or got high under the wrong circumstances, which made them feel very paranoid or socially out of place or .. blah blah, you know. Your first time you gotta be alone or with a close friend or 2, outside, in the woods or in a quiet calm house/apartment with awesome music and food
Posted by i'm pro-science and i vote http://www.prettyopenended.com on December 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM · Report this
JonnoN 46
lol @ non-GMO pot! Where do you think they get names like Purple-White Widow-Thunderkushfuck?
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on December 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM · Report this
Let's see. Today the typical price is about $10/gram and falling. The state cartel wants to charge $20/gram. Which it can only do if they eliminate the competition from the greedy Mexicans and the slimy "dispensary/community gardens," and make sure that naive, stupid individual consumers are thrown in jail if they grow their own.

Why the jail? Because the cost of growing your own, if pot was actually legal in the same way that beer and wine are legal, is about 11 cents a gram. But the state wants to charge 250 times that. Which means that they have to use the police to squash any competition.

Welcome to the wacky world of "legal" marijuana made "legal" by I-502. Will it work? You tell me, stoners! What would you rather pay: $20 a gram, $10 a gram, or 11 cents a gram? This is an I.Q. test.
Posted by Mister G on December 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM · Report this
Sandiai 48
That's what I thought too. Non-GMO pot is for making clothes and string.

Hey, can Washington farm hemp now too?
Posted by Sandiai on December 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM · Report this
Chelydra_serpentina 49
I've never tried pot before. (Sheltered life + general terror of moving half an inch out of my comfort zone.) I've thought about trying some snacks when they hit the stores, just to see what all the fuss is about. But given my chronic tendency to the melancholia, I can see myself liking it a bit too much, which I'm worried could lead to an unhealthy attachment. And I'm already unproductive and low energy enough as it is.
Posted by Chelydra_serpentina on December 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM · Report this
#48, define "GMO pot."
Posted by Mister G on December 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM · Report this
nedludd 51
As a friend remarked: " when I smoke I expect to become Bob Marley, but I always end up feeling like Homer Simpson."

I'll give it another whirl when the weirdness of the acquisition experience goes away, but I'm not expecting to like it any better than I did 20 years ago.
Posted by nedludd on December 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM · Report this
Chelydra_serpentina 52
And oh yeah -- I'm pro-legalization and have been ever since I got to know the particulars of the issue.
Posted by Chelydra_serpentina on December 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM · Report this
LEE. 53
my consumption has gone to almost non-existent over the past year or so. however, if I don't smoke at least once every few months, I become incredibly agitated, angry and generally unpleasant to be around. kinda like Mister G I'd assume! it's not a dependency issue either...prior to when I started smoking as a teen, I had serious anger problems and cannabis unsurprisingly quelled them in an incredibly effective manner. it also helps me with anxiety a lot of the time; I actually feel more motivated to leave the house and be productive when I smoke. not to mention it's been a big help in musical compositions over the years.

despite all that, I just feel like I'm growing out of it? usually when I do buy some, it's such a small amount that I don't really feel like bothering the seller, or go out of my way to meet them. unless we happen to be at the same place at the same time, like at a show. maybe once it's available in stores I'll start buying some more often once again.

Posted by LEE. on December 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM · Report this
NaFun 54
@14, @24 - from before I502 and doesn't talj about Colorado, but relevant. I've flown with pot to Oakland, LAX, and SFO. http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2011/11/man…

@47 - wtf cartel? 502 sets up state licensed tiers not unlike our liquor system, and the estimated price the state used to come up with the fiscal impact of 502 was $12/gram. You are talking right out of your ass.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on December 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM · Report this
I don't plan on smoking (not my bag) but I am excited for my Mom. She suffers from chronic pain, and it will likely be easier for her to access the stuff. It will do her a world of good if she can get something every once in awhile to take the edge off and have it help her sleep.
Posted by Joyful on December 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM · Report this
rowan redwing 56
How about, "I live in Oregon, where we were to moronic to legalize it," so I will get some in Washington...?
Posted by rowan redwing on December 4, 2012 at 3:25 AM · Report this
No wonder the typical stoner is such a moron. #54 is happy paying $12 a gram for something that can be grown in the backyard for 11 cents.
Posted by Mister G on December 4, 2012 at 4:20 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 58
@55 you know she can qualify for medical marijuana, right?
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on December 4, 2012 at 6:11 AM · Report this
I live in the Netherlands. I can smoke pot freely, and I don't, ever. There is not much pot-smoking done by the residents of the country, it's mostly tourists. I think what they might find is that once it's legal, no one really cares anymore.
Posted by juli81 on December 4, 2012 at 6:26 AM · Report this
threnody 60
I haven't smoked regularly in 20 years (basically since I got my first real job). I've thought about it occasionally for chronic pain management and accepted a brownie or one puff on a bowl when offered, but the hassle/expense kept it a once-every-five-years kind of thing. I quit smoking cigarettes for my asthmatic lungs' sake so I have no desire to ever smoke it again. I just like the pain relief/body high. So, when/if it's readily available for purchase in edible form...I'd get it for special occasions.
Posted by threnody on December 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM · Report this
Wandergeist 61
I like my lungs. My lungs don't like smoke. Hence I have never smoked anything (pot, tobacco, anything) and never will.*

Though if Starbucks starts selling pot brownies, maybe I'll give those a(nother) try. (Yeah, I know: try specialty bars or liquor stores instead. Eventually).

* I supported I-502 and I'm proud the people of the state widely embraced rationality by adopting it (and I hope the SCOTUS will see it that way also). As with being a straight supporting R74, doing the right or sensible thing sometimes involves more than just voting along your own narrow self-interest.
Posted by Wandergeist on December 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 62
The problem with the label GMO is that it's used to refer to the crossbreeding of plants to produce certain traits (which has been going on as long as agriculture) and it's used to refer to putting jellyfish DNA in corn so it glows in the dark.

It's really stupid.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on December 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM · Report this
balderdash 63
I will vaporize and/or consume edible pot more once it's not only legal, but more convenient to get. I am kind of a square and I have never had any luck obtaining pot more than once a year or so, so I smoke... once a year or so. If I could pick some up at the liquor store, I'd be a lot more likely to indulge maybe once a week, especially since I'm looking down the barrel of grad school right now and I could use the mental health buffer.

No smoking, though. Smoking is gross.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on December 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 64
Not if the new GMO labeling init passes, @62.

But it's only for patented genes, so if you breed it, that's not the same thing.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
The Wild Sow 65
Please add: Got tired of it around 1977; don't intend to take it up again. But for those who do, enjoy!
Posted by The Wild Sow on December 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM · Report this
How about "I don't smoke now, but I'll smoke once or twice just 'cause it's legal and then return to my regularly scheduled non-smoking."
Posted by jennnn611 on December 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM · Report this
I've had my medical marijuana card for a while now. I buy it one or two grams at a time for when my muscle spasms get really bad or for when I want to have a special night with a sweetie.

Other than that? I love being sober, too!
Posted by quinkygirl on December 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM · Report this