emma's bee 1
How about in person shoutings-at? I have a pretty good story about being gay-bashed in Hawaii 20 years ago (as 1/2 of a heterosexual couple).
Posted by emma's bee on December 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Do tell.
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on December 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 3
I find in general that most people who have to shout are either temporarily or permanently crazy. There is a reason why the word "mad" has a dual meaning in English.

Its all well and good to be upset about someone or something, and even more acceptable to challenge people with strong language or strident tones. Its another thing altogether to bray like a jackass at someone. This usually implies that every other means available has failed the offended party, and they are incapable of achieving their ends through civilized means.

With that impotence in mind, it is best to expose the powerlessness of the shouter by laughing at them as they scream. This makes it clear that attempts to bully you are going to fail, and that you could not care less how loud they get. Nothing is more humiliating than being laughed at when you try to intimidate them.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on December 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM · Report this
biju 4
What about that time about 1-2 years back when you guys got some threatening letter made out of cutouts and scotch tape - and the tape came complete with fingerprints. Whatever happened there?
Posted by biju on December 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM · Report this
emma's bee 5
@2: Okay. Mr. emma's bee and I were headed out to a nice restaurant on Kauai for dinner. As we were in the tropics, I had donned a simple, flower-print (and somewhat clingy & short) dress. It was a bit dark, granted, but still it was puzzling when, arm-and-arm on our way to the restaurant, we were shouted-at by a redneck in a pickup truck: "Fucking fags!", as a half-empty beer can whizzed by our heads. I'm 6' tall, which I guess led to their confusion. Now, off to make my donation...
Posted by emma's bee on December 9, 2012 at 6:20 AM · Report this
ScienceNerd 6
My father's wife is crazy. She's truly the evil stepmother from a story book. Anyway, my siblings and I have gotten so many screaming voicemails from her that I can't begin to single one out for a story. In face interactions were always more exciting, she pulled a gun on my sister recently.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on December 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM · Report this