wut is correlation
wut is causation
Posted by eptified on December 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
When there is nowhere to park, I think traffic is moving to slow, or is too dangerous to drive in, I just drive/park my car on the sidewalk.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on December 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 3
Thanks! I filled in almost all my Cycling Advocacy Bullshit Bingo card! I just need "bamboo" and "recumbent".
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on December 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM · Report this
seandr 4
Read another study recently showing that cycling increases penis length and girth. Can't seem to find the link at the moment...
Posted by seandr on December 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Results from Portlanders willing to add 5-10 minutes to a shop visit to self-report? Data doesn't get much harder, does it?
Posted by gloomy gus on December 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this
seriously tho this kind of thing is bait for cretins like @2, do better please

@2 if I draw you a picture will you be able to distinguish between bicycles and cars in future

see in this picture there's a machine that is small and maneuverable and doesn't go very fast

in this OTHER picture there's a machine that is large and kills people when it runs into them

can you spot the difference

Posted by eptified on December 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM · Report this
internet_jen 7
I think non-drivers are probably great for walkable neighborhood shops, but I don't know how I feel about cyclists (people in general) self reporting of how often they go someplace. Maybe they can expand upon this research jointly w/ shop owners and survey how people showed up to their establishment.
Posted by internet_jen on December 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 8
@6: If I draw you a picture, will you be able to identify a joke or not? Whooooosh!

How about I just draw you a picture of a Shift key, or maybe the keys that create punctuation marks?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on December 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM · Report this
DOUG. 9
Christmas shopping on a bike is awesome, especially when the weather outside is delightful (like today).
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on December 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this
Nice selective quoting by the author of the thread.

Here is what the linked article headline ACTUALLY says:

"Cyclists and Pedestrians Can End Up Spending More Each Month Than Drivers"

While I didnt read the entire PDF from what I did read this thread and the linked article BOTH are misleading and misquote the original draft PDF study. Oh, yeah, it's a draft study. Wait until the study is actually concluded before drawing conclusions.

In the PDF there was almost no distinction between pedestrians and bikers in terms of numbers of visits to local neighborhood businesses. It is not a blanked endorsement of cycling.

It's saying that spending on car infrastructure in dense urban neighborhoods makes less sense than supporting pedestrian (and bike) infrastructure.

BTW: It's clear the author of this thread never read the Draft study PDF. The Stranger not actually read a study before leaping to conclusions? No! I'm shocked.
Posted by tkc on December 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM · Report this
emor 11
I've often wondered about the commercial benefit of cycle touring. This past summer, my little group of three rolled into tiny Port Renfrew on the west coast of Vancouver Island. In the space of maybe an hour, we'd probably spent almost a hundred dollars on expensive (yet delicious) burgers and supplies. If British Columbia were to update the and improve the roads on that section of the island, they could promote it as a premier bike touring route and get way more bike traffic. As it stands, the Sest Coast highway is a bit of a nightmare for cyclists. Though we were riding in the height of touring season, we so no other bike tourists on the island. I gather rural Oregon towns have started to actively promote themselves to the bike touring world.
Posted by emor on December 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this
long-time reader 12
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that pedestrians are the biggest spenders at bars. Pub crawling beats drunk driving!
Posted by long-time reader on December 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 13
What @12 said.

remember, friends don't let friends cycle drunk. or stoned.

take the bus instead!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM · Report this
treacle 14
Le Corbusier's vision vs. an actual walkable/bicycle-able city...

I vote the latter. Duh.
Posted by treacle on December 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM · Report this
@13 I really enjoy drunk/stoned cycling. It's one of my few vices.
Posted by mitten on December 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this