Line Out Comments

Keekee 1
Har har! This is rich.

The person with the worst taste in Musik on the Stranger's payroll is complaining about the Grammies. How original thou art!
Posted by Keekee on December 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 2
Every year/"eligibility period" in Music (as viewed through the lens of the Grammys) is weird, but some years are stranger/slighter than others?
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on December 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM · Report this
Doctor Memory 3
The only good news here is that the soundtrack for "Journey" is nominated, which is incredibly well deserved.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on December 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 4
The Grammys were really so many Relationshippy Feelings for Record of the Year:

"Lonely Boy" - The Black Keys,
"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" - Kelly Clarkson
"We Are Young" - Fun. Featuring Janelle Monáe
"Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye Featuring Kimbra
"Thinkin Bout You" - Frank Ocean
"We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" - Taylor Swift
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on December 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM · Report this
brandon 5
Damn, I guess music really sucked in 2012.

Fuck you on the Gotye song though, it was fine.
Posted by brandon on December 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM · Report this
I want to see "niggas in paris" take home a grammy and watch the uncomfortable white person have to say the song title.
Posted by am i right? on December 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
This isn't as bad as the KEXP DJs who put that fucking lullaby music from Tame Impala as their top album of the year.
Posted by The CHZA on December 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 8
I gave up on the Grammys back in the 90s when Billy Ray Cyrus' Achy Breaky Heart was up for everything while other artists who were truly miraculous never got a mention. It's more like the Billboard Awards now - going to the artist who puts the most quarters in the most pockets. Artistic merit - aside from maybe their Hall of Fame - has gone by the wayside. They really should stop calling themselves the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences though. I can't speak for the classical end of it, but pop, rock, jazz, r&b, and rap (rap...really?) - totally corrupt. Ever notice how they totally bathe an artist with awards one year and then you never hear from them again (until they have another hit) or how some people just keep getting nominated over and over and over and over again (Sting, Brian Setzer Orchestra, John Mayer to name a few)?

And let's don't forget the Academy's gift of prediction. Best New Artist of the year for 1977: Starland Vocal Band ("Afternoon Delight"). There are a lot of those.
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 9
@2: You ain't whistlin' Dixie! One year an album can be nominated, the next year all the singles from the album can be nominated, the following year the live version of the same songs can nominated - all because of eligibility periods.
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
blip 10
The Grammies are always terrible. I almost cared when I saw that Miguel is nominated in a handful of categories but that faded when I remembered it's the Grammies and then I stopped caring.
Posted by blip on December 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM · Report this
Pick1 11
It's all so scandalous! Niki Minaj and Justin Beiber got SNUBBED.

This is an outragZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Posted by Pick1 on December 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
Dougsf 12
I read that as you're laughing your ass off that a band called Barf is nominated for best pop group. Upon rereading it—disappointment.
Posted by Dougsf on December 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Report this
snacktruck 13
@7 - totally! And worse yet, hearing Alabama Shakes makes me want to throw myself on a knife. That band is so awful and to hear KEXP dj's wax on about them makes it even worse.
Posted by snacktruck on December 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
@13 their ultimate crime as of late is playing anything off of Psychedelic Pill. The station has got to be getting some kind of pay-for-play for that shit, it's atrocious.
Posted by The CHZA on December 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
raku 15
Line Out Top Albums of 2012:

1) Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
2) Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
3) Whoever the Showbox sent us an email about today
4) Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
5) Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
6) Sublime - 40oz to Freedom
7) Offspring - Smash
8) Mad Rad - (Not sure but heard they were fresh and cool like maybe Beastie Boys???)
9-10) N/A didn't listen to any other albums
Posted by raku on December 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
This just in!: Music is subjective.
Posted by jns on December 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
balderdash 17
Why is Most Nominations full of artists who only have one song that they then release over and over and over? Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Black Keys' and Mumford & Sons' one song each... but they only have one song each. Or maybe, like, at best one song per album. And after you hear it six times, you just don't necessarily want to hear it any more.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on December 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM · Report this