ArtBasketSara 1
"Benedict Cumberbatch"??
Posted by treacle on December 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
CGI rulz!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
Another starship crashing into a planet...when they do that in the movies the movies tend to suck. (See The Search for Spock and Generations)

But with all things JJ Abrams...it will be well marketed to make people think it will be great but totally forgotten about come July 15 2013
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
I was having dinner Sunday night with a female friend who lives in L.A. She was out to dinner in Venice Beach recently and saw Benedict Cumberbatch out with a group of gay men. She's pretty sure he bats for our team. He's about to become my favorite gay villain ever!
Posted by Smartypants on December 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Knat 6
I greatly enjoyed the first movie in the new franchise. I'm looking forward to the next one, though it's not at the top of my list. I do hope they're a bit more subtle with the lens flares in this one, but that seems to be J.J. Abram's thing, so I won't hold my breath.
Posted by Knat on December 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 7
@4,
Don't forget they crashed their Klingon ship into the ocean in Star Trek 4, and that film was one of the better ones.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on December 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
@7, Klingons don't count...they don't value life like us Federation beings do. :)
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
It's Cumbersnatch.

Or should be.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
r.chops 10
BOOM! Kaploweee! BOOOM! Crash! SKREEEE!
Posted by r.chops on December 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
WFM 11
FINALLY, a Star Trek movie where they fight a vengeful supervillain who has a superweapon. I mean, jeez, for years I've been like "WHEN? WHEN will they make a Star Trek movie where they fight a vengeful supervillain who has a superweapon? They've never done that EVER. Now, FINALLY.
Posted by WFM on December 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 12
Eh...who cares. It looks like typical summer movie fare..high budget, mindless action and an even more mindless script. The movie will make shit loads of money and in 6 months no one will remember what it was about.

Star Trek peaked when TNG was on TV. It allowed for some action and really good character development. But it did get bogged down in all the techno-garble.
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on December 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 13
@9 Thumbalina Cumbersnatch.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Thought that it was Patrick Stewart doing the narration at first and did a bit of an eyeroll -- I just hope that when this unnamed dude (Khan? Gary Mitchell? Alice Eve's cuckolded boyfriend?) talks about how he's "returned", it doesn't mean that they're mining the Pit of Fanservice.
Posted by demo kid http://www.effinunsound.com on December 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
knobtheunicorn 15
They should've had Kirk beat up God again. Or a plague of tribbles ala "Critters".
Posted by knobtheunicorn on December 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
The trailer that aired in Japan has an extra few seconds at the end that shows a direct reference to Star Trek II: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2012/12/06/sta…
Posted by MemeGene on December 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this
very bad homo 17
I'd like to vote for STOP REMAKING EVERYTHING.
Posted by very bad homo on December 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Dougsf 18
Is this the one with the whales?
Posted by Dougsf on December 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM · Report this
@17
Make that two votes.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on December 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
brandon 20
I miss Trek that actually had moral dilemmas. I'm still pissed they blew up Vulcan. Fuck you JJ Abrams, you can't blow up one of the central planets of the federation! TNG For Eva (except for that super racist episode where they go to planet of the African stereotypes, seriously Levar Burton why didn't you say WTF to Gene Roddenberry when you were shooting that episode?)!
Posted by brandon on December 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 21
@20,

That was a first season episode though. The first season also had that horrendous episode with the planet of the blonde, childish nymphomaniacs. Anything to let Riker get his freak on, I guess, even if it means ignoring the Prime Directive.
Posted by keshmeshi on December 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
care bear 22
I don't usually like summer blockbuster action movies but I love Gay Spock.
Posted by care bear on December 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM · Report this
I had a crush on the new Spock, not enuf of him in the trailer.

(I'm hoping that was him, for the brief second...)
Posted by judybrowni on December 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
balderdash 24
I am SO fucking conflicted.

I love Space Opera of all flavors. I do! But I also have an abiding philosophical love for Star Trek, and the "reboot" was not fucking Star Trek, and the disservice they did to the core principles of the Trek ideal really made me mad. This doesn't look like it's going to Get It any better than the first one did.

On the other hand, the Mass Effect fanboy in me really, really, really wants to see more of what that trailer had to offer. In fact, you know what? Let's just take Star Trek right out of Abrams' sweaty, XBox-controller-callused hands and give him Mass Effect to make movies out of instead. It seems right up his alley and I honestly think he could do a good job of it, and oh man I would just about die of happiness if we got good Mass Effect movies.

Give Star Trek to, I don't know, maybe Joss Whedon... except I think I recall hearing he hates Trek on principle, so never mind that. Somebody else. Somebody who actually gives a shit what the Federation, a post-scarcity humanist society, was intended to be.

Also, come on, you guys, this is clearly just Wrath of Khan. Did you need to see the Japanese trailer to figure that out? Honestly?
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on December 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Is JJ Abrams still making stuff? I thought that after conquering Earth, Lrrr had ripped JJ's face off and given it to Ndnd, who wore it for a night out at the theatre. Or was that from future JJ Abrams' head? And where was Simon Pegg? Has he gotten his sandwich yet? And if so, what kind was it? No -- don't tell me. I don't want to ruin the suspense.
Posted by PCM on December 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Puty 26
Looks like they're going back to the Star Trek 2 well AGAIN. Therefore this poll should have a "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" option.
Posted by Puty on December 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 27
WHY IS NAOMI WATTS SCREAMING?
Posted by Max Solomon on December 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM · Report this
I went to youtube and looked for it, having an issue with embedded video on the slog. I thought it looked like the first one. Then I realized that I was watching a fake, fan-made trailer based on deleted scenes from the first movie's DVD. That fan-made trailer looked better than this shit.
Posted by GermanSausage on December 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM · Report this
Pick1 29
@23 it was. But after seeing him as a serial killer in Heroes for the entirety of the season that I actually attempted to watch. Well, it makes me unable to view him in any sort of non-creepy light.
Posted by Pick1 on December 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 30
@24,

I was hoping it wasn't because I hated the idea of Cumberbatch as Khan.

Many of my favorite TNG episodes had Ron Moore's fingerprints all over them. Think someone can convince him to direct movies?
Posted by keshmeshi on December 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 31
no, he does not bat for the other team. he is a straight man secure in his sexuality and has gay friends, as british actors do. not only will bendydick comeonmybatch be my boyfriend, he will be my HUSBAND. as soon as my divorce from tom hardy comes through, which will leave tom free to marry kelly o.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on December 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
rara avis 33
There needs to be an "all of the above" option. I love Star Trek but any new release in the franchise brings mixed emotions.

The "Inception" music has got to fucking stop though. For real.
Posted by rara avis on December 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Simone 34
I don't know. It sort of reminds me of the latest Batman movie (movies?). Lots of explosions and things blowing up in huge proportions. And lots of clique villain quotes (which can be good). And why is it that there always has to be a cliff where the captain has to jump off of?

As long as Cumberbatch's villain is better than what's his face in Batman I should like this flick.
Posted by Simone on December 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM · Report this
COMTE 35
I don't think Cumberbatch is supposed to be Khan - nothing in either the trailer or the "synopsis" put out by Paramount points in that direction. More likely, he's this continuum's Gary Mitchell, who WAS developing some bad-assed God-Man powers before Kirk buried him alive at the end of "Where No Man Has Gone Before", the second TOS pilot.

As for the repetition of old tropes and characters, well, keep in mind most of the audience for this film probably BARELY remembers Voyager & Enterprise, let alone TOS, TNG, DS9 or any of the older films. So, while it certainly feels like rehashing familiar territory to us old Trekkers, it's still all quite new to the youngsters who've never seen it before.
Posted by COMTE on December 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Fuck you Rick Berman!
Posted by Spindles on December 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 37
@35,

I hope you're right, but the rumor is that Cumberbatch is playing Khan, to the point that the rumor is cited on IMDB.
Posted by keshmeshi on December 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM · Report this
I had to watch it muted because I'm still at work, so all I can say is that it looks loud.

I actually liked the first movie in the rebooted franchise, but mostly only if I only think of it as a distant cousin to the original franchise
Posted by Sheryl on December 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM · Report this
MrBaker 39
I'll see it second run at the Crest for $3, if ever.
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on December 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 40
I liked the characters developed in the reboot, as well as most of the actors. Loved the new Spock (swoon).

But I have to agree with balderdash @24. This just does NOT look like Trek. It looks completely joyless, without the slightest hint of Trek philosophy.

Still, new Spock. *swoon* I'll probably see it.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on December 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 41
Looks like a Battlestar Galactica ripoff. I'll probably watch it, the first was entertaining.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on December 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM · Report this
Noadi 42
I'm going to see this for the inevitable explosions and Benedict Cumberbatch who I would love to do all sorts of dirty things to. I'd rather new episodes of Sherlock but this will do.
Posted by Noadi http://noadi.net on December 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 43
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, is "rebooting" the sincerest admission of intellectual bankruptcy?
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on December 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM · Report this