Fnarf 1
It seems like everyone is an a prank rampage, trying to outdo each other with the outrageousness of their corpse in the elevator or pretending phone call. I've been thinking for a while that some trouble was about to drop. That poor nurse. A NURSE. The DJs in question are "sorry". Yeah, sorry isn't good enough, scumbags. "Fired" would be a step in the right direction.
Posted by Fnarf on December 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 2
@1 I agree. That poor woman. RIP.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 3
@1,2: Did you see something that suggested the prank resulted in her death in some way?

Because I see nothing to that effect, so I do not see why there should be such harsh penalties for a couple of DJs, who are just doing stuff that radio guys do every day, around the globe.

I mean, unless the woman was so stressed about her mistake she had a heart attack or something.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on December 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM · Report this
Lew Siffer 4
You would have to have serious mental issues to kill yourself over a prank call, even one mildly notorious. Something else going on in that womans head.
Posted by Lew Siffer on December 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 5

YouTube is rife with these "pranks" which often times prey upon people who just don't have the wherewithal to see it as humor. At the same time the pranksters border on cruel, or even racist, behavior (search for Happy Endings prank on YT).
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 6

I myself have felt sickened by some of the things said and put in comments about me (I think as a form of humor) here on SLOG and in other blogs around Seattle.

It's one thing to say "oh, it's just the Now form of humor" but it really does get to people especially when it seems to be 10 on 1.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 7
@6: Maybe if no one seems to like you where you hang out, the problem is you, not everyone else.

Ever consider that?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on December 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 8
I'm with @ 3. The prank itself was blown all out of proportion to its real seriousness, because it was the frigging royals. If it had been any other patient, nobody would care, including the nurse herself.

If anyone killed this woman, it's the royal fetishists all over the world. (I'll take it to fnarf-like extremes and blame everyone who clicked on any article about the hoax prior to this woman's demise. It wouldn't have been a story if no one read about it.)
Posted by Matt from Denver on December 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM · Report this
I don't know how it is overseas, but here in America, it is a federal offense (I believe) to divulge patient information to the wrong people. You most definitely lose your job and career and perhaps pay a fine + damages and maybe even go to jail. It is big, serious business. I wonder if they have a similar law in Britain and if the nurse was facing the crumbling of her life as a result. The hospital, of course, says that it was being supportive, but you never know if they were giving her a hard time.

And yes, I imagine that there's some sort of cult of personality with the royals where you just wouldn't imagine saying "no" to the Queen if you were convinced you were talking to the Queen.
Posted by floater on December 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Report this
biffp 10
@6, seems foreseeable that calling yourself Supreme Ruler of the Universe might result in a certain amount derision.
Posted by biffp on December 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM · Report this
biffp 11
On the subject of suicide, Swimming Home is a powerful book with amazing precision, and certainly should have won the Man Booker over Bring Up the Bodies.
Posted by biffp on December 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 12
I'd take Beiber seriously as an artist if he did his next music video being fucked up the ass by three horses.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
biffp 13
@12, are you going to direct?
Posted by biffp on December 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 14
Whatever you think about George Zimmerman, it is pretty egregious how NBC manipulated the audio of the 911 call to make him seem racist when the actual audio paints a completely different picture.
Posted by Gern Blanston on December 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM · Report this
biffp 15
Regarding the lockout:

“We were ready to play again,” the player said, according to Denver Post and writer Adrian Dater. “But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out.”
Posted by biffp on December 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this
In a folllowup to a once-hot story, today the Electronic Frontier Foundation announced it got the State of Washington to quit defending its anti-Backpage law.…
Posted by gloomy gus on December 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 18
@12 What? Only three?
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM · Report this
TVDinner 19
@6: I have finally realized that you're seriously, truly, and profoundly unbalanced. There's no humor there. It's a statement that something is deeply wrong with you. That you fail to recognize it and think people are exercising mean-spirited humor when they finally express frustration with the way your mental illness manifests here only further illustrates how far removed from reality you are.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on December 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
fletc3her 20
Whoever wrote the vocal synthesizer for the Bieb should totally get a technical grammy. It almost sounds like human singing.
Posted by fletc3her on December 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM · Report this
pfffter 21
@19 wow. The guy asked for a break. Give him one, and lay off the haterade, bra.
Posted by pfffter on December 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 22
@21 - Disagree completely. The reason he feels like people gang up on him is because he posts asinine crap. It'd be like WiS asking people not to judge him while simultaneously talking about costco chicken and 100 story towers surrounded by greenspace.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on December 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 23
Oh fuck. Well, I guess I better find peace in hearing about the Royal Dick and the Royal Womb and the Royal Vomiting and the Royal Fetus for the next several months. Why an American would care about that shit is beyond me but obviously many do because it's all you hear about on those gossip shows (also called entertainment news). Even a sizable number of Brits say, "Who the fuck cares? Privileged good-for-nothings living off taxpayers." I just can't get past the notion that providence ordains these people are superior to anyone else.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep my TV off until July or until after the Royal Miscarriage.
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 24
@22 you mean like 40-100 story tall towers? Like the ones we're building right now in Seattle?

Gelling much?

By the way, the DBT is still the most totally insane thing we've done here, hands down. The sooner we cancel it, the better.
Posted by Will in Seattle on December 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this