Film Comments

Terrible movie. Don't do this.
Posted by johnnycache on December 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM · Report this
@1, seconding this. There were neither boobs nor car chases. 1/10, could have been better.
Posted by GermanSausage on December 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
sirkowski 3
I liked it. But I didn't take the chance of seeing it in 48fps even thought I'm curious about what it really looks like.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on December 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
McJulie 4
I saw it at the Cinerama which I think is showing it in 48 fps. It looked beautiful most of the time and every once in a while, weirdly fake. Plastic grass fake.

Posted by McJulie on December 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR (high frame-rate, 48fps) RealD 3d. You know how when you first saw HD content on an HD TV it seemed overly realistic? It was kind of like that. Some people claim it makes it harder to suspend disbelief and immerse yourself in the fantasy, but I had no problem getting used to it. However, I suspect the set, costume, prosthesis, makeup, and CGI folks are going to have to up their game a notch if this becomes an industry standard. Like higher resolution, the higher frame rate seems to leave less room for fudging.

The RealD 3D added depth and liveliness, but the parallax was off at times. Images only jumped way out in front of the screen a few times, so if you're one of those viewers who doesn't like that, it's not a concern.

As for the movie itself, I didn't go in with super-high expectations -- The Hobbit is a children's book, after all, and a lesser work compared to Lord of the Rings -- and I came out reasonably happy. The recruitment of Bilbo seemed overly long to me, but the visuals were gorgeous/stunning/great, and there was plenty of action and adventure. It's been decades since I read the book, but from what I recall of it, the storyline in the movie has been fleshed out considerably and made somewhat more palatable to older viewers. Speaking of which, parents and guardians should take that PG-13 rating to heart, or a least convert it to a PG-9 or 10. There's enough scary, violent stuff in the movie to risk giving nightmares to sensitive younger children. But that's coming from a guy who, when he was around five, kept a glass of water by his bedside for a month after seeing The Wizard of Oz, in case the Wicked Witch of the West came to get me, so use your best judgment.
More...
Posted by PCM on December 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Cory 6
Better yet, read the book instead. The movie wasn't very good.
Posted by Cory on December 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM · Report this
It's number one at the box office right now and has grossed over a hundred and fifty million which doesn't include the rest of the run, or foreign box offices which are expected to net over two hundred million.

Clearly it's a terrible movie.
Posted by LORD ZOD on December 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM · Report this
chromie 8
I saw it last night at the Imax. Good stuff <3
Posted by chromie http://www.facebook.com/kildabunny on December 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM · Report this