Baconcat 1
The Simpsons hurted your fee fees :(
Posted by Baconcat on December 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM · Report this
snacktruck 2
ugh, the Decemberists? An offical "jump the shark" moment for sure. They blow.
Posted by snacktruck on December 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM · Report this
One of the top ten episodes. It was hysterically funny.
Posted by Pol Pot on December 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this
I've let my love of the Simpsons lapse, but this episode had a few brilliant jokes, the "ethnic union halls" line has to be one of my all time faves.
Posted by stuck in boston http://www.nothing.com on December 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
Knat 5
Watching those clips is making my brain collapse in on itself. It's a moebius of irony and meta-level mockery.
Posted by Knat on December 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Jaymz 6
Loved it - paused several times to check out the nuances in the background shots.

By the way @2, saying "jumped the shark" has "jumped the shark" (and your reaction to The Decemberists was anticipated, ironically).
Posted by Jaymz on December 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Foghorn Leghorn 7
Yeah, one of the better episodes in years.
Posted by Foghorn Leghorn on December 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
JonnoN 8
Wait, back up a decade, the Simpsons is still on tv??
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on December 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Rotten666 9
Not funny since season seven.
Posted by Rotten666 on December 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
@ 9 I disagree its still going strong, I loved that they made fun of hipsters last night.
Posted by Seattle14 on December 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this
zivilisierter Wurm 11
Not quite as brilliant as the King Of The Hill hipster episode.
Posted by zivilisierter Wurm http://peregrinari.tumblr.com/ on December 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 12
OOH! Matt Groening is FROM Portland!! I wish I was high, so this would seem all meta and significant.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on December 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 13
The Simpsons is still on TV?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 14
@ 8 and 13. Comments like that are stupid and boring. Grow a brain.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on December 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 15
No, I thought it was just reruns.

God, that is so last century ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
seandr 16
Funny!

Highlights:

The "West Ham United" banner in the kid's room (Chelsea or Manchester United would be too obvious of a Premiere League team for him to support).

The mock Anime clip for perfectly capturing the inanity of that genre.

"Springfield Tire Fire."

Springfield Elementary School -> Springfield Charter Co-op Experiment

Posted by seandr on December 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Can we as a culture get over the hipster-obsession thing once and for all? I'm really racking my brain to think of anything more tiresome, hacky, or played-out than 'hipster lulz' but nothing is coming to me.

There's no such thing as a hipster. Please, please can we move onto something else?
Posted by johnjjeeves on December 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
"What's that smell? Unturned compost and… (sniffing) Cuban movie posters! That's our house!"

HA HA! It was entertaining...
Posted by drowsylittledame on December 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM · Report this
superhyrulean 19
I grew up watching the Simpsons,but later on,I found the humor in the series to be very dry and tasteless...it is like the rest of the dysfunctional family corporate fox cartoons(Family guy,American dad,Cleveland show...e.t.c)...Besides,I mostly now watch Anime online and really don't give a fuck anymore about American cartoons...
Posted by superhyrulean on December 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Simpsons haven't been good since Conan stopped writing.
Posted by Bloated Jesus is Bloated on December 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
biffp 21
I'd like a Slog vote on replacing 'jumped the shark.' 'Pulled a Lindsay' or "everybody loves bacon' might work.
Posted by biffp on December 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
yeah, and @9 the simpsons has not been funny since they jumped the shark with "who shot mr. burns". done. it's over. go away. 4 seasons good, 5th and 6th waning. everything since is "like a turd falling into my drink". god bless you bill hicks. . .
Posted by godblessyoubill on December 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 23
"The Simpsons hasn't been funny since I stopped thinking it was funny."

Fool!

The Simpsons is impervious to your judgment! The Simpsons cares not for the whiny bitchery of mere mortals. The Simpsons has always been and will always be.

The Simpsons is a necessary, inevitable, and inexorable funhouse mirror reflection of America itself, and will exist for as long as America exists. Probably longer.

(All of the above also applies to Saturday Night Live.)

Oh, and the phrase "jumped the shark" flashed the cooch in 2009.
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on December 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
In my experience SNL and The Simpsons are sometimes funny, sometimes not. I don't watch either regularly any more (wasting time on net that used to be TV time...not necessarily an improvement) but if someone whose taste I trust says an episode is good, it's generally good.

I don't understand the "hasn't been funny since...." comments since that implies watching every episode of an unfunny show for many years. Do y'all own a Comic Book store?

Posted by david on December 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM · Report this
LEE. 25
@17

never! it's high time someone took those hipsters down a peg!

you have a point though...one can never tell who the hipster is. why I'll bet people who have been married for years might wake up one day and find that their own beloved spouse was a hipster all along. what then? what would they tell their children?? these people are a menace. they won't go away until internet conversation reaches a Godwin-like saturation of parodies and scornful dismissals regarding their very being.
Posted by LEE. on December 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM · Report this
@19 Anime ceased to be an art form in 1982, but if you're willing to liberate your tastes from the global corporate entertainment bubble, there's some really fantastic things going on in rotoscoped vintage fillipino snuff films right now.
Posted by madcap on December 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM · Report this
Maybe I'm old now but that episode was the first time I ever quoted Comic Book Guy seriously
"Worst Episode ever!"

Yeah, I got a lot of the hip references but they just were not funny, not even a little.
Posted by frankdawg on December 11, 2012 at 7:38 AM · Report this
Man Seattle you are an uptight crowd. Just get over it, you chuckled, it was funny. The end.
Posted by Wedgwood99 on December 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this