If we only had common sense laws regulating toy guns, this never would have happened.
Posted by CPN on December 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 2
Drunks.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 3
the parade of dysfunction that is the american male just never ends.
Posted by Max Solomon on December 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 4
What's the point of mentioning the handcuffs? Especially since they had nothing to do with this incident?

Can we get a list of everything else in the apartment that had nothing to do with this? I need to know what color bath towels this guy has.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on December 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM · Report this
I used to be a courier in Austin. This one time, a guy came to the door and he clearly had a gun in his back waistband. I could tell by the way he was standing, at the ready to reach back and pull it out. And he stayed standing that way through our entire interaction in which I told him I was merely delivering a letter to him. It was kind of freaky. Some people are a bad combination of paranoid and stupid.
Posted by MR M on December 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM · Report this
Dougsf 6
@1 - Joke and ye shall receive:

A. It is unlawful to knowingly carry or shoot any spring gun, air gun, sling or slingshot in, upon or onto any public place.

B. For purposes of this section, "public place" means an area generally open to the public, regardless of whether it is privately owned, and includes, but is not limited to, streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys, plazas, parks, parking lots, transit stations, transit vehicles and buildings.

So he didn't actually fire it, and I've no idea if an interior apartment hallway fits their definition of "public space", but the story does allude to the fact they made their UPS guy come all the way up rather than meeting him at the door. Any able-bodied person that buzzes deliveries in rather than meeting them at the door is guaranteed to be guilty of multiple infractions against all that is good and proper.
Posted by Dougsf on December 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
evilvolus 7
"Pointing a gun at the UPS guy is the modern day prelude to shooting the messenger."

That is a line Mudede would write. We already have one of those, thanks.
Posted by evilvolus on December 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
so in other words if I were to walk around pointing my fake gun at people it would be all good? it seems like they let this guy off too easily... I'm sure they wouldn't have felt the same way if I pointed that gun at a cop!
Posted by high and bi on December 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
cornelius, is that you? best damn UPS driver on the hill.
Posted by deepconcentration on December 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM · Report this
I saw it go down as I work right by there. The UPS drive is very nice.
Posted by CommonKnowledge on December 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
@4 So true!
Posted by Erok on December 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 12
@6,

I find it hard to believe that threatening someone with a realistic-looking fake gun is legal. The victim doesn't know it's fake.
Posted by keshmeshi on December 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
evilvolus 13
@12 - It would certainly meet the legal definition of an assault here in Washington. Whether it would qualify as a weapon offense is fuzzier.
Posted by evilvolus on December 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM · Report this
Dougsf 14
@12 - It most certainly is not. I only posted that passage because I was curious as to whether owning a pellet gun was as illegal in Seattle as it is where I liveā€”not quite, but firing one anywhere outside your house certainly is.

The internet tells me that in many states, your assumptions about threatening people with "fake" guns is probably correct. In California, the penalties for using a toy gun to commit a crime are the same whether the gun is real or not.
Posted by Dougsf on December 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Really, that's like pointing a gun at the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus.

My UPS guy is absolutely the best. I'm so sorry this driver on the Capitol Hill route was harassed like this. People are crazy.
Posted by Fire Chief on December 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM · Report this
mayor 16
Oh, shit! I also have handcuffs and about 8 other irrelevant sextoys for the officers to include in their report for release to the public.
Posted by mayor on December 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM · Report this
mayor 17
@dougsf re " In California, the penalties for using a toy gun to commit a crime are the same whether the gun is real or not." same law here, implied threat doesen't even require a gun.
Posted by mayor on December 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM · Report this
Typical day on "vibrant" Capitol Hill.
Posted by Mister G on December 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM · Report this