My condolences to everyone affected by this.

Good job Clackamas County Sheriff's Department. Thank you for doing your job well.
Posted by six shooter on December 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Just think, if everyone in the food court had been carrying a gun, stolen or otherwise, no one would have died!
We need more guns in malls!
Posted by Sir Vic on December 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM · Report this
This is why I don't wear my pumped up kicks outside the house.
Posted by DisorganizedReligion on December 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 4
The fucking AR-15 again. I guess that is the unstable American murderer's weapon of choice these days.

Can't say I blame them. The best gun readily available to spray indiscriminate death all over a room.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on December 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM · Report this
Kudos to all the mall staff & patrons who kept their cool. Major props to the officers on the scene. And deepest condolences to the individuals killed/injured and their families.

It makes me wonder if we should just assume these things will happen, and teach ourselves & our children to do whatever will save the most lives. Kind of like how we did earthquake drills. I also wonder how the NRA-types would react to K-12 classes teaching kids how to react to mass-shooting situations.
Posted by wxPDX on December 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
Cascadian 6
The NRA isn't going to support any training that doesn't involve spending more money on guns, ammo, and donations to the Republican Party.
Posted by Cascadian on December 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM · Report this
biffp 7
@4, I couldn't believe it was an AR-15 either. The people responsible for overturning the automatic weapons ban should be held responsible.
Posted by biffp on December 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM · Report this
biffp 9
I thought the automatic weapons ban had expired. I guess it's a matter of expanding it.
Posted by biffp on December 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this
biffp 10
It's not a ban:

The National Firearms Act of 1934, the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Hughes Amendment in 1986 have all placed limits on how automatic guns can be bought and sold, but did not make it illegal to possess them entirely.
Posted by biffp on December 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 11
An AR is not an "automatic weapon." Get your facts straight. You're just making yourself look like a fool.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on December 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM · Report this
But, but, but, how could this AR-15 semi-automatic rifle have come to be stolen, when lawful American gun owners are so dutiful and responsible in their secure maintenance of their weapons?
Posted by d.p. on December 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 13
I blame the War on Christmas.
Posted by thatsnotright on December 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Very professional response by mall staff and local authorities ... versus what may have been the most inept mass shooter in recent history.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on December 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM · Report this