That might work in Seattle...if the ratio of males to females wasn't 100 to 3.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM · Report this
It seems to me that Dan could have done some better selective quoting for this post. If I were Dan I would have left out the part about "drabber" and "less atractive" males.

Seriously Dan, it's the smokin' hot straight boys you want taking cues from these guppies, not the drabber less attractive ones.
Posted by -J on December 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Dan, I am sure that you have had the same experiences as I have over the years in which young women viewed me as a challenge to their skills of sexual persuasion. Yes, in a few times they managed to get a mercy fuck from me (as I have from a few straight boys). So yes, I think that these researchers are onto something. Now it is up to young human males to prove or disprove the theory. Hmmm. Maybe a new challange for "Mythbusters". Grant, are you listening?
Posted by PaulBarwick on December 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM · Report this
I assumed you were discussing gay urban professionals.
Posted by dirge on December 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Olo 5
At my high school, we called this "football."
Posted by Olo on December 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM · Report this
I'd take a grain of salt the size of the Matterhorn before applying this to humans, but it's still pretty neat.
Posted by DRF on December 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 7
So these bar girls have the intelligence of guppies? Interesting.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on December 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
They are actually mollies, not guppies (which are P. reticulata), but who's counting?
Posted by MaiaD on December 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
aureolaborealis 10
I totally opened this expecting nothing but a list of frenzied troll comments.
Posted by aureolaborealis on December 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
@8: I am; I actually came here to make the same comment. Woah. You don't want a tank full of happily mating P. wingei by chance, do you?
Posted by Juris on December 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
So how exactly to fish pretend to mate with other fish? The last time I checked, what they do is they squirt their eggs and sperm on the bottom of a stream and then die.
Posted by gromm on December 12, 2012 at 6:19 PM · Report this
My two cents as a straight woman? Yes. I support this 200%. Definitely would help weed out the bigots, if nothing else, and let you know who would be potentially up for a nonstandard threesome. Also: It's hot.
Posted by Pearl on December 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM · Report this
Why do I get the feeling that, whatever this means, it can't be good? This is just screaming out to become a huge excuse to justify straight-chasing.
Posted by vennominon on December 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM · Report this
Terry will be crushed once he realizes you have been using him to get to the ladies...
Posted by LML on December 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM · Report this
Sandiai 16
What @13 said. Exactly what @13 said.

Fish mating/courtship behavior includes rubbing bodies, swimming alongside the other fishy, and a particular sexy type of "nipping." (From the article).
Posted by Sandiai on December 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM · Report this
venomlash 17
@9: FYI, amoebozoans don't have genders. Gender seems to be peculiar to certain metazoans and streptophytes.
Posted by venomlash on December 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM · Report this
sissoucat 18
@15 lol !

And it's too late, they're married now. Ah, welcome to the married life, Terry ;-)
Posted by sissoucat on December 13, 2012 at 1:49 AM · Report this
sirkowski 19
I've seen guys do it at Anime Conventions. Although I can't know what really was their orientation.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on December 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM · Report this
@3: Grant and Tori snogging to measure Kari's potential interest? I am SO there. They should probably set the benchmark with Tori without the beard and then run the experiment again after he's grown it back. For science, you know. To be thorough.
Posted by Action Kate on December 13, 2012 at 3:45 AM · Report this
@12: it's called foreplay.
Posted by fubar on December 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM · Report this
Ophian 24
@20 yes.

And I am disturbed that I am now interested in the sex lives of mollies [thank you @8 and @11].
Posted by Ophian on December 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM · Report this
i was trying to figure out what hot new thing "guppies" meant
Posted by Shannon Murphy on December 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM · Report this
http://humoncomics.com/archive/animal-li… all about animal sex. Done with human figures.
Posted by EclecticEel on December 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM · Report this
Er, note particularly the Ruff bird's faeder.
Posted by EclecticEel on December 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
I have to chime in with the other chicks here and say: hell yes!
Posted by Celestia on December 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM · Report this