Will in Seattle 1
So long as they don't do it within 25 feet of the door of a bar, coffee shop, or restaurant, I really don't see why we should care.

Just think of it as the Fremont reset for our state.
Posted by Will in Seattle on December 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
wisepunk 2
The two policemen that were directing traffic in front of PacPlace saw me a) hitting a dugout, b) remarked to each other that I was hitting a dugout, c) laughed and d) waved to me. A rather refreshing interaction with the popo for sure.
Posted by wisepunk on December 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM · Report this
Former Lurker 3
@1 LOL!
Posted by Former Lurker on December 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Jaymz 4
I hope people follow the lead from alcohol: Drunk and stumbling and slobbering over a container in public is stupid, baked and stumbling and sparking up in public is equally stupid. Don't flaunt it, be cool, and we will set a good example while under this national spotlight.
Posted by Jaymz on December 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
McGee 5
Cops haven't hassled people smoking weed in public for years previous to this law.
Posted by McGee on December 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM · Report this
Hernandez 6
And how different is that from Broadway before 502 passed? Plenty of somewhat-discreet pot smoking was taking place before 502 passed. I'm sure it will continue now that the shit's legal. Yeah, there will be idiots who flaunt it inappropriately, but I have a feeling most of the folks who were considerate about it before will continue to be considerate about it now.

Like @4 is saying, just don't be an asshole about it and there likely won't be any problems.
Posted by Hernandez on December 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM · Report this
douchus 7
I've been walking around smoking joints for years in Seattle and some East-side cities (villages/towns...). If you look plausibly legal and aren't being an idiot, ain't nobody gonna care.

... But I must acknowledge that being a white dude probably helped me get away with it.
Posted by douchus on December 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
pfffter 8
@4 "Drunk and stumbling and slobbering over a container in public is stupid"

Like that ever stopped anyone ...
Posted by pfffter on December 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 9
Ironically, the garden rooftop of the Law Courts in downtown Vancouver is packed with people blowing weed.
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
kitschnsync 10
In Seattle, smoking cannabis in public is effectively decriminalized.

While the state law prohibits it, Seattle law makes enforcement of "personal use" marijuana-related offenses the lowest possible priority. You're more likely to get ticketed for jaywalking.

Disclaimer: I'm too high to give legal advice.
Posted by kitschnsync on December 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
merry 11
The other night, just after a co-worker expressed to me her concerns over people smoking and driving, I waited at a crosswalk on 15th Ave E and started to cross when the light went green ("green" - hahaha) - only to be nearly bowled over by a vehicle barreling through on the red light, leaving in its wake a giant stanky cloud of weedsmoke.

The timing was too, too perfect....
Posted by merry on December 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
rob! 12
@2, thanks to you (and Google) for one more bullet in the Sandra Dee that is me.
Posted by rob! on December 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Gordon Werner 13
@1 or bus stop ...
Posted by Gordon Werner on December 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
seandr 14
Dude, shhhh, keep it on the down low.
Posted by seandr on December 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
I disagree with the previous posts. Please flaunt it and be disrespectful. Same goes for alcohol.
Posted by carsten coolage on December 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM · Report this
J-Haxx 16
I was in Amsterdam last Spring - you can smoke outside anywhere except next to monuments. The locals explained to me that they don't want tourists to have people smoking weed in their photos....but even then, it's not *illegal,* the police will just ask you to move along if you are smoking too close to a famous building or statue.
Posted by J-Haxx on December 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM · Report this
and gayness in all of its forms including happy.
Posted by carsten coolage on December 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 18
I kind of worry about this.

I-502's appeal to me originated in a desire to get profits from marijuana sales out of the hands of gangsters and cartels. Locally grown pot sold through state run stores means no money for Los Zetas or Sinaloa. This may not be enough to get rid of these thugs, but it seems more likely to start their decay than Felipe Calderon's failed drug war.

If the stores open at all, they are at least a year away. In the meantime, open-air black market sales will provide these cartels a chance to capitalize on the lax enforcement.

The upside is of course that 18 year old kids will no longer have their lives ruined for simple possession. I am grateful for that. Even though I am far from being 18 and do not consume weed myself, I have nothing against 18 year old potheads and certainly want them kept safe from prison. I just wish they would have access to locally grown (why not organic? Hell, spike it with Vitamin C while we're at it), cartel-free pot.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on December 13, 2012 at 8:41 PM · Report this
seandr 19
@3: True that. I was blazing in the smokers circle outside neumos when two cops appeared out of nowhere, said "hmm, what's that I smell?" and continued on their way.
Posted by seandr on December 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 20
It's going to be messy. Puff, puff, pass...
Posted by wilbur@work on December 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 21
Can't be any worse than the fumes from a yellow school bus...
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM · Report this
I'm sure things are different up there on Capitol Hill, but the Downtown Dirtbags don't look any less dirtbaggy to me now that they're all smoking weed instead of cigarettes.
Posted by robotslave on December 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM · Report this
delirian 25
@18: The cartels make money because enforcement artificially increased the price. With the decriminalization initiative, the price should fall substantially. What that means is that even if the cartels continue supplying a product (which I'm not even sure they do in Washington since Canadian and American weed is so abundant), they will not make the same absurd profits. In fact, the price will drop to the point were it is no longer economically feasible to kill people or commit violent crime to maintain their market. The cartels are going to be in a position similar to what the Mob was in when Prohibition ended. They can try to go into different crime markets or they can try to legitimize themselves, but they will not be able to compete against the likes of Budweiser or Jack Daniels. The same applies to weed. The only way violent crime could possibly go up is if Washington starts exporting weed to other states where it is still prohibited. The more States that decriminalize marijuana and the less enforcement that is used to elevate prices, the sooner these cartels will be out of the weed business.
Posted by delirian on December 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM · Report this
delirian 26
@22: Cigarettes are worse than pot since cigarettes are incredibly addictive, and you need to smoke a substantial amount per day to get your nicotine fix. A person who smokes weed will probably smoke a couple of joints a week. A person who smokes cigarettes will smoke one hundred of them or more per week. So while neither of them is good for your lungs or the health of secondhand breathers, smoking weed is far less harmful overall.
Posted by delirian on December 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM · Report this
I actually live in Amsterdam, across the street from a "coffee shop", and you rarely see anyone smoking pot on the street (btw, the Dutch use pot at about 1/3 the rate of Americans). Public drunkenness is much more common (thanks England!). It's not that you will be arrested, it's more that it's a social faux pas to be blowing skanky weed at people who just want to get home from work. Also, since it's been effectively legal here for so long, no one is impressed. Part of what you are seeing in Seattle may be a bit of showing off; at least it was for me when I last smoked weed in front of a club on Market Street in SF (I always seem to smoke more when I'm in the States).
BTW, the exception in Amsterdam is Queen's Day, when you can smoke whatever you want and no one is bothered.
Posted by Sa-Spence on December 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM · Report this
tainte 28
in other words, absolutely nothing has changed.
Posted by tainte on December 14, 2012 at 5:32 AM · Report this
No, things have changed noticeably. It used to be discreet, now it's happening openly at my bus stop. People need to respect the no smoking policies no matter what they're inhaling. That stuff smells like skunk.
Posted by shotsix on December 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
I would be happier if people switched to edible forms.
Posted by shotsix on December 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM · Report this