biffp 1
Good post. Put your sadness and concern for kids toward some concrete help for kids.
Posted by biffp on December 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
schmacky 3
Just put in $50. Thanks for giving me something to do.

Also, @2, I'm tempted to call you an asshole, but I just don't have the energy. And maybe you're just pissed like I am about this whole situation and feel like lashing out. But you're barking up the wrong tree. Any time is a good time to help feed starving kids.
Posted by schmacky on December 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
yelahneb 5
Listen everybody, it's been a rough day. Let's all just get a decent night's sleep and see what tomorrow brings - maybe things will seem a little less awful by then.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on December 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM · Report this
schmacky 6
@4...I'm sorry, man. Hope you have a good night.
Posted by schmacky on December 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM · Report this
@2/4: I didn't mean to use the tragedy, in any way. I hesitated about posting about the Charity Challenge yesterday, and I had my colleague Paul Constant help with the post to try to make it appropriate and respectful. We both felt that people might want to do a small, normal, caring thing on such a hugely abnormal, incomprehensible day. We did not mean to sound mercenary. The Charity Challenge is the opposite of that.

@everybody: Thanks for taking deep breaths and trying to understand each other. It is really, really nice to see the kind of empathy @5 and @6. Really nice. Thank you.
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on December 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Let me tell you from my past experience using Northwest Harvest's services. They do all these food drives and ask for money, but _none_ of it makes it to the clients served. I'd go there every week and all they would have is a few canned vegetables, potatoes and a bag of rice. I don't know what happens to the stuff that's donated to them, but it never makes it to what's given to clients. Maybe they sell it?! It's a racket as far as I can see.
Posted by Weekilter on December 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM · Report this