Is it really just the NRA?

I read yesterday that gun sales spiked in the wake of Sandyhook.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM · Report this
fletc3her 2
This is exactly what these weapons were manufactured for. They allow the possessor to kill a maximum number of people in the shortest amount of time.
Posted by fletc3her on December 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
long-time reader 3
@1, you think people who run out to buy guns after a massacre are less likely to be NRA members than the average gun purchaser?
Posted by long-time reader on December 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
I used to go through 200 rounds on a 9mm Browning SMG in about 2 minutes. My Fabrique Nationale (FN) C2 burned thru 30 rounds per clip in 2-3 round bursts ... let me think ... 200 7.62 mm with aiming when I was in clear sight ... in about 3 minutes. Took longer to aim.

10 minutes is an eternity when you have full auto.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM · Report this
10 minutes for 200 rounds is actually a very slow methodical shooting rate. (every 3 seconds). Go ahead do something (anything, tap your finger on your desk) every three seconds.

More importantly (to me) is this really makes it hard to argue anything about high capacity magazines or the like. I can easily shoot at that rate with a revolver, and carrying the ammo is just as easy.

I'm not against gun control laws, but I really don't see what law could have prevented this tragedy.

Posted by slowly on December 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 6
If you had to use a bolt action rifle and take 4-5 seconds per shot, with a 3 round clip, or even a 5 round clip, your fire ratio would drop quite a bit.

The deer would still be just as dead.

But a lot of kids wouldn't.

Same goes for the difference between a 6 shot revolver or a 5 round pistol. It was the gun jam in the mall down in Portland that saved all those people, while he reloaded.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 7
@5,

Except he had to go room to room. One teacher holed herself up in the bathroom with her students while he pounded on the door, demanding they let him in. Another teacher hid her students in cabinets and lied to him, telling him they were at the gym. It wasn't weapons free the entire time. Only when he happened to find a dozen five year olds in one room.
Posted by keshmeshi on December 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
@6
Are you suggesting a complete ban on semi-automatic handguns?
Leaving only revolvers?
Not sure what you mean by "5 round pistol"?
Is that one without a removable magazine?
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on December 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
Still would have slowed him down enough so the first responders, which included cops, could have taken him out a lot sooner.

You don't need full auto or even semi-auto to hunt. Bolt action works just as well.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 10
@8 actually, handguns are mostly used to shoot other people. Usually relatives. I'd just leave it at rifles.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
@10
You've lost me.

Semi-automatic handguns are okay?
But rifles (and carbines?) would be limited on ammo capacity and could not be semi-automatic?
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on December 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 12
Just ask anyone in a civilized country what I mean, @11.

You're being deliberately obtuse. It's not amusing.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
@12
"Just ask anyone in a civilized country what I mean, @11."

Did I not just do that?

You have contradicted yourself in your posts.
"Same goes for the difference between a 6 shot revolver or a 5 round pistol."
So no semi-automatic handguns?
"I'd just leave it at rifles."
Semi-automatic handguns are okay?
"You're being deliberately obtuse."

I would think that a simple "yes" or "no" would be easy to post but I guess that would require that you understood what you were posting.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on December 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 14
Hey Charles how many bullets did your father's buddy Mugabe pump into white farmers, their wives and children?

How many bullets have Marxist ordered fired into civilians?
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on December 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM · Report this
NotSean 15
Here's a passing thought which might intrigue Charles.

I see new political parties rising from this. The gun-limitters and the gun-huggers seem to split both the D's and R's.

Posted by NotSean on December 18, 2012 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
Nobody limits guns. I mean, Canada has twice as many guns per capita than the US does.

They just don't use them to slaughter innocent kids.

You call that "marxism". I call it "civilization".
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM · Report this
Canada does not have twice as many guns per capita. US as 88/100. Canada has 31/100.

It's cultural. Too many Americans have this stupid idea that they can be a Hollywood hero if somebody has a gun. It's sickening that some pro-gun group said that if the teacher had been armed, then it wouldn't have been a tragedy. Uh, no? Give a panicked civilian a gun and the most likely thing she would do is shoot a wall, shoot herself or shoot one of her students.
Posted by Mr.Tickles on December 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM · Report this