orange&black 1
Hahahaha!
Oh, wait, that's not funny. Not at all. Sad and pathetic really, and not in the good way

And they brainstormed for a week to come up with that!

Ok, a little funny.
Posted by orange&black on December 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM · Report this
I think Dominic needs to learn what a police state is.

Posted by fairly.unbalanced on December 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Fnarf 3
@2, I think Dominic understands what a police state is far better than you ever will. You are a shill. You support evil. You and your gun nut organization are an accessory to murder.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 4
There is no small amount of irony when someone uses the screen name "fairly unbalanced" to post right-wing reactions to how we handle violence from people we could describe as 'fairly unbalanced'.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on December 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
Guess they're gonna need to post armed guards at every church, too.

Posted by midwaypete on December 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM · Report this
NRA's proposal will never happen with this president and this senate. Unfortunately, an assault rifle ban requires republicans to sign on, and every republican knows he will not make it through a primary if he supports any kind of gun restriction or ban. Everyone is screaming "we have to do something!" right now, but that "something" that congress is going to do is just keep up that screaming until people forget they were supposed to do something. Does anyone disagree and see a possible way to implement national changes in the near-term?
Posted by G g on December 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM · Report this
mubhappy 7
Turns out "Fairly Unbalanced" means his mental state. Good to know.
Posted by mubhappy on December 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 8
@6

Right. Just like health care. Or gay marriage. Or gays in the military. Or marijuana. The classic conservative bluff is to try to scare you into giving up without a fight.

Just need to put gun control to a vote. Then at the midterms the ads against the Republicans will be a scrolling list of victims' names, or a list of all the mass murders between the vote and the election. Maybe a montage of children's faces. I don't mean the kids from Newtown; I mean the ones from the next massacre, the one the GOP did nothing to prevent.

The sick thing is how predictable these shootings are: there will be many, many mass murder rampages between now and the 2014 vote when the House comes up for reelection.

So let them run on that and we'll see how it goes.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on December 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 9
Damn it! I was totally going to post this exact comment word-for-word but nooooo... One more missed "Gold Star Comment" opportunity. *sigh*
Posted by ArtBasketSara on December 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM · Report this
@9 Hell, it's something I did a whole post on, and what do I get? Bupkis.
Posted by Chicago Fan on December 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM · Report this
passionate_jus 11
@6 It's happening. The president is demanding laws before the end of January. It will pass the Senate (especially if the 60 vote filibuster is done away with). The spotlight will be on the Republicans in the House and there is enough of them from suburbs that it will get passed.
Posted by passionate_jus on December 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM · Report this
And who exactly was going to pay for all these armed guards in schools? The same right wingers who are cutting taxes for the rich? Yikes! Could the GOP be dumber?
Posted by pat L on December 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM · Report this
NotSean 13
@12 I agree with your sentiment but I also have to note that "it's too expensive and unfund-able" could be said about almost any of the proposals I've read from the Sloggers, both sane and loony.

"Where's the $$" is a weak-sauce low-hanging-fruit argument of about the same merit as the "it's not a perfect solution so it won't do at all" argument that the NRA uses so often.

The Sloggers have already listed several stronger reasons this NRA proposal is a lazy turd. It's a shame too. All I wanted for Christmas was the miracle that they would finally adopt a rational stance on gun control - they *could* do it. I'm a naive dreamer.

Posted by NotSean on December 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM · Report this
watchout5 16
"A police state is a state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic, and political life of the population." - Wikipedia

I would call America a police state by definition. My social, economic and political life are completely at the control of either 1 of 2 of the same parties, the corporate party, and they like to call themselves democrats and republicans. They're repressive, one more so that the other, but who gives a fuck they're both repressive and it's so rigid that none of them are willing to change anything, we're utterly stuck in the same position the country was when I first became an adult. Nothing gets changed, it's a pathetic excuse for a country when I see more military style tactics against occupy bullshit than I do against people who actually deal money for the drug pushers and the terrorists. There's no justice in America, not for people who make tens of thousands a year, and the people who make millions? They can just buy as much justice as they need. I have little freedom, if I start a business I need a loan, I need a loan from the banks that got bailed out by the police state, who enforces their economic doctrine from banks from which we own the currency but are not allowed any control over it.

How the fuck could anyone see America as anything less than a police state? Either we need a new constitution restating that this tyrannical government must end or we need to just accept that we have little freedoms in America, well that is of course unless you have money, but with the kind of world we live in it's only your economic status that defines if you live in a police state or not, it's a free world for those with means, and it's no world at all for people like me.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on December 22, 2012 at 2:14 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 17
@16 Wow! I had no idea it was so bad down there... Maybe we should invade you? Our Prime Minister would love the spotlight! Coalition of Freedom: Canada, UK, Mexico, Australia, Iraq...
Posted by ArtBasketSara on December 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 18
That's just a working list BTW...thought Mexico could use a good war (outside their borders) and that maybe Iraq would like to return the favour...
Posted by ArtBasketSara on December 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
@4
"There is no small amount of irony ..."

The point in choosing that was to be able to identify people who are unable to focus on the issues under discussion. Congratulations.Looks like you're one of them.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on December 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM · Report this