Newest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
I'm an MA resident and Markey's got my primary vote. He's got the name recognition and the campaign experience to overcome the short-notice problems inherent in a special election and we can count on him to do this campaign right and not be another Martha Coakley. I'm feeling better about this special election than I was yesterday.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on December 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM · Report this
Markey is progressive so he won't have to pretend to be one to win this election.
Posted by anon1256 on December 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM · Report this
Wait... Not to pick nits or anything... (No one does that here, do they?)

How exactly is Markey risking his career? He'll stand for a special election to replace Kerry, and if he loses, doesn't he still keep his seat in the House? I don't think he has to vacate the House seat unless he wins the Senate one.

Not that he'll lose. Why would anyone vote for Scott now, having already voted him out against Warren? I'd say Markey is the far stronger candidate, not to mention the one without "LOSER" so recently tattooed on his forehead.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on December 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM · Report this
I heard a suggestion that Barney Frank might be willing to serve as the appointed caretaker in the Senate before the special election to replace Kerry. Don't know whether there's any truth or reality to that possibility, but it would be AWESOME!!! if it came to pass.

PS. Ed Markey is a great legislator, and would be a real asset in the Senate.
Posted by N in Seattle http://peacetreefarm.org on December 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
Massachusetts has several good people who are likely to take a run against Brown. Markey will make a good choice, as will Mike Capuano and Vicki Kennedy. Brown may be tough to beat, but we should be able to beat him (especially as people like Elizabeth Warren remain popular)
Posted by uubuntu on December 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 1
Rep. Markey is one of the country's best reps. Massachusetts is very proud of him. Should be a shoo-in. Expect a check, Ed.
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this