Cato the Younger Younger 1
Welcome to GOP America!!!

This is what Rob McKenna, Mitt Romney and all the GOP members of Congress want for all Americans!! It's their hope and dream!! And you can live it right now in Utah!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
I am occasionally appointed to represent girls under the age of 18 who are asking a court to grant them permission to have an abortion without parental notification. The courage these girls show to go into a judge's chambers with attorneys and discuss their situation always impresses me. Knowing that the judge has always said no - sickens me.
Posted by jwlsesq on December 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 3
Do you think hardcore pro-life people care about the well-being of the woman? Not for a minute. Not for a second. They think a woman who does the things that get her in that condition should pay the price. Women, they believe, aren't supposed to enjoy sex, but rather use it merely as a tool to procreate.

Guys, on the other hand, can fuck around all they want. We don't approve wholeheartedly, they say, but boys will be boys.

Abortion is a horrible, horrible thing for everyone concerned. Put me in the safe, legal, rare, and unnecessary camp. We have to do more so that women have the knowledge and means to avoid it.
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
In2ishn 4
No! No! No!

Really, that is all I can say.

Posted by In2ishn on December 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 5
This is very unsettling on many levels. "Because he was older and she was a virgin, she trusted him when he said nothing bad would happen if they had sex. The first time they did, she got pregnant." Being Pregnant = Bad? Ladies is that true?
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on December 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
blip 6
@5 I'm not a lady but I'm guessing that yes, an unwanted pregnancy is bad.
Posted by blip on December 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
@ 5: I's bad if you don't want to be pregnant, which she did not...
Posted by sara on December 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
If you're an innocent, trusting teenager? Yeah, being pregnant is cataclysmic. Even suicide-worthy. "Bad" can be an understatement.

Then too, I've known teens who've deliberately gotten pregnant so they'd have someone they believed would love them unconditionally. And some teenage boys who believed that the true mark of a man was how many girls he could get pregnant. Not care for, just knock up. Looking after babies was "woman's work", not his problem.

Seriously, we need so much more education it makes my head hurt.
Posted by FranFW on December 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
@5 She was fourteen and didn't want to be pregnant. So, yeah, in those circumstances pregnant = bad. Jesus Christ.

Would you consider having an unwanted parasite growing inside of you "not bad"?
Posted by Zuulabelle on December 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
10… This page has information on how to support Jennie Linn.
Posted by multipony on December 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM · Report this
@ 5: I's bad if you don't want to be pregnant, which she did not...
Also, in general, pretty much always bad if you are FOURTEEN YEARS OLD. Did you read the article?
Posted by sara on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
singing cynic 13
Horrific. I can't even imagine going through what this woman did. But I also have to ask - after 17 years and three unwanted pregnancies - why was she not on some kind of birth control?
Posted by singing cynic on December 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 14
Well, that's the Stranger's darling "state's rights" for you. What, you thought it only worked for your legalized pot?
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn on December 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM · Report this
TVDinner 16
“I wasn’t being careless or sleeping around all the time,” McCormack says. “I just didn’t know quite about the options other than condoms.”

I guess this is what happens when you live in isolated, conservative communities. Last summer I met a woman at a party who was 28, fanatically opposed to ingesting any kind of chemical into her body, and had no idea that she could get an IUD that didn't contain hormones. Furthermore, she didn't know how IUDs worked or how effective they were.

When I asked her what she'd used for birth control all these years she just said, "Guess I've been pretty lucky so far."

Posted by TVDinner http:// on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM · Report this
treacle 17
Gah! Fie to the forces of ignorance...
Posted by treacle on December 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM · Report this
MrBaker 18
Is Orrin Hatch looking forward to the posthumous baptism?
Posted by MrBaker on December 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM · Report this
@2, I'm so sorry to hear that. I naively believed that judges routinely signed off on such waivers of parental notification. What do the young women you've represented usually do next?
Posted by EricaP on December 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
internet_jen 20
@5 - as a result of your first time? Yes, conception would be bad.
Posted by internet_jen on December 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 21
Obama's America?

Utah's governor is a republican.
Utah's state senate is 3/4 republicans.
Utah's house of representatives is 3/4 republicans.

Utah is a GOP wet dream. But I guess you're right in one regard, people are probably better off dead than living in Utah.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on December 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Heartbreaking. I think what sickens me the most is the invasion of this woman's privacy. Pregnancy and abortion are nobody's business but the pregnant woman's and maybe--maybe--her family's. It's got nothing to do with your church, your sheriff's deputy, or the courts, let alone your assorted small-town busybodies.

One question: the story starts out by saying that the woman has always lived in Idaho, but then refers to Utah's state laws? I think the part about Utah must have been a mistake.
Posted by Prettybetsy on December 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
I haven't read the whole story - I glanced at the first of five pages - but you are correct: the story says she's lived her whole life in Idaho, and says the nearest clinic offering abortion services is in Salt Lake City. I conclude from this that the woman lives in the southeast corner of Idaho; Salt Lake could be the closest city by a hundred miles, and I have no idea what services can be found in Boise, the runner-up.
Posted by Warren Terra on December 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM · Report this
long-time reader 24
@13, Agreed; I'm of the "fool me once, shame on you/fool me twice, shame on me" school of thought.
Posted by long-time reader on December 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 25
This story reads like an episode of Trailer Trash Dairies. 14 year olds having babies, a woman with five "husbands" by the time she's thirty, hooking up with men who she knew in high school and was "just out of prison". You can see the cigarette dangling from her hand as she stands with the screen door open.

But the best (worst) part is after she uses the pills to abort, she hides the fetus under her bed!

After about a week, the box began to emit an odor. McCormack wrapped it up in more bags and put it out on the back porch, on the shelf of a covered barbecue.

Not that the social system there is any more intelligent...

... which makes it a felony for a woman to have an abortion in a manner not sanctioned by the state and carries a possible prison sentence of up to five years.

Not it's not just the 2nd trimester timeline, but that it was not sanctioned by the state.

I'm starting to smell a rat here...could it be that once everyone finds out that these pills work beyond just the morning after, the whole abortion industry would take a huge nosedive? Along with the associated social system?

Is this really all about disruptive technology...??
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM · Report this
seatackled 26
Well, fuck, the woman in India has died. RIP.…
Posted by seatackled on December 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM · Report this
JensR 27
@14 ... and Hitler was a vegetarian. Ban vegetarian restaurants.

What a stupid argument.
I for example think that as long as we have nation states in the world they should have some kind of autonomy. That doesn't mean I think Uganda's kill-the-gays law shouldn't be opposed.
Otherwise it would just be obsessing over the form instead of the function.
Posted by JensR on December 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM · Report this
The medically-induced abortion pill (prostaglandin and/or antiprogestogen) is NOT the "morning after pill" (estrogen/progestin), which indeed would not work to terminate an established pregnancy.

Different pills.
Posted by Thisbe on December 29, 2012 at 3:37 AM · Report this
attitude devant 32
Oh come ON, Sargon. REALLY!?!?!?!?

As for all of you who can't believe she wasn't using better birth control, this is the reality of small-town America combined with a Mormon upbringing. She didn't know what she didn't know.

Even IF there was a free contraceptive clinic available, these women get fed ALL sorts of disinformation about the supposed dangers of the pill, God's plan for their lives, and a bunch of other crap. Too soon old (and the mother of six) and too late smart.
Posted by attitude devant on December 29, 2012 at 7:40 AM · Report this
@25 - she got random pills off the Internet, for chrissakes. Whatever was in them was strong enough to cause her to go into premature labour. She had no medical supervision - she's damn lucky she didn't bleed to death. There is a good reason to want abortifacients to be administered under the watch of a medical professional. Also, having miscarried a pregnancy I can tell you it hurts like FUCK. she should never have had to do that alone. This isn't about taking profits away from doctors, but about the right of women to be safe when they are terminating a pregnancy.
Posted by teamcanada'sforgottenpassword on December 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
venomlash 34
I read through Alleged's posts at #30 and #31, and I can honestly say I have no idea what in God's holy name he is trying to say.
Posted by venomlash on December 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Meanwhile, France's socialist government just made it so that French national health insurance picks up 100% of the tab for abortions given to women under 18 who don't have parental consent. Abortion is also 100% covered for the equivalent of our Medicaid patients. For women over 18 who aren't destitute, coverage ranges from 70% to 80%, depending on whether the abortion is drug-induced or surgical and whether it's done in a public hospital, private hospital, or doctor's office.

It's hard to nail down the maximum possible copay because of all the possible variables, but it seems to be around $75 for a drug-induced abortion in a doctor's office. Around 85% of French people have private, non-profit medigap policies that pick up most of their copays; for those that don't and can't come up with the copay, the provider can apply for county medical aid. In short, it's pretty unlikely that an abortion would be denied in France because of inability to pay.

It's not a perfect system, by any means, but it's routinely considered one of the best systems in the world and is definitely a lot better than what ours has been (and will be under Obamacare).
Posted by PCM on December 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM · Report this
@35: Oops -- I forgot a category. For women under 18 who *do* have parental consent to an abortion, the same régime applies as for women 18 and over (and their parents' medigap coverage, if they have any, would pick up the copay). It would be a lot simpler if they just covered it 100% for all women. Ditto for contraception, which is only covered 100% for women who are under 18 or are "CMU" (~Medicaid) patients.
Posted by PCM on December 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM · Report this
Sandiai 37
@34 He seems upset about something.
Posted by Sandiai on December 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM · Report this
Sea Otter 38
“I just didn’t know quite about the options other than condoms.”

What the everloving fuck?? BETTER SEX EDUCATION. NOW.
Posted by Sea Otter on December 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM · Report this
@35, meanwhile, here in the US G-D of A, I once went with a friend who accidentally got knocked up, while we were in college. She was only 4 weeks along, so a medical abortion was the best option. It was nearly *$1000* for the pills/procedure. Being young and terrified, she paid it, and I spent the rest of the year sneaking food that was going to be thrown out (it was not spoiled, just things they didn't feel they could save and re-serve) from the dining hall I worked at for her, so that she had at least one decent meal a day, since she had spent the equivalent of, basically, her annual food budget on a few pills and 2 sonograms.
Posted by Ms. D on December 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
sissoucat 42
@35 Yep.

And for decades now the right wing has been complaining that it's "too costly". It may be a very good heathcare system, but it's also under attack. Money-hungry people are the same the world over ; they *don't care* for others.

Oh, and the effect of procreation education in highschool ? Teen girls are very seldom pregnant here.

And of all the women that I've come to know in my 20 years of adulthood, only one had an abortion, at 6-8 weeks. All legal, medically supervised, and she paid nothing, of course, neither sonograms nor pills. I think it took about 15 days from start to post-abortion checkup.
Posted by sissoucat on December 31, 2012 at 4:23 AM · Report this