woooO!!!
Posted by wisconsinslogreader on January 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 2
Proud of my home State for making this happen. Especially so soon after the Scott Walker fiasco. I know she didn't take Russ Feingold's seat but what a welcome. I hope she does great.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on January 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Fantastic.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM · Report this
oh man we are so proud to be a homo sapiens...
Posted by Gommorah is so fucking awesome. on January 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM · Report this
Sandiai 5
Even though I left 20 years ago, I consider Wisconsin my home state too. So, yay Wisconsin!
Posted by Sandiai on January 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 6
@5 - I feel the same way about Missouri. They have their problems, but they'd rather vote for a dead man than John Ashcroft, and they at least have the good sense to not vote for the legitimacy of rape.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM · Report this
I've got my ties to Wisconsin too, five years of elementary school, friends and relatives living all over the state. So I'm particularly pleased with this election too.

Incidentally, as someone who interacts with people who might be called members of the religious right fairly often, most are perfectly decent, very friendly, and wonderful neighbors. Just because we have political differences doesn't make the other side monsters.

Besides, when we win our full equality, we're still going to have to live with these people. I hope we can do that with grace, respect and friendship, even if they did not extend that to us in days gone by.
Posted by Corydon on January 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM · Report this
Should she be struck down by lightning for daring to swear on a BIBLE???? I mean, JESUS. JESUS, people! JESUS!
Posted by LML on January 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM · Report this
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on January 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 10
Is that THE GAY AGENDA she's holding?
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on January 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 11
Since the religious right looks upon the Salem Witch Trials as "the good old days," they pretty much disapprove of everyone.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM · Report this
Isn't there something in the U.S. Constitution that says that there will be no religious test for holding office? So what's with all this swearing on the bible 'so help you God' bullshit in Senatorial oaths?
Posted by ignatz ratzkywatzky on January 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM · Report this
Joe M 13
@12, did you see Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) get sworn in? She is the first Buddhist US Senator, and she and her husband politely declined to hold a bible for their swearing in. And in an encouraging sign, neither Joe Biden nor anyone else seemed to make a big deal out of it. So that's progress.

On the other hand, I felt a little bad Tammy Baldwin didn't have a wife, S.O., or family member to hold her bible. I'm sure it was her choice, but I'm really looking forward to the day when a gay or lesbian high-office holder is sworn in alongside their proud, smiling spouse.
Posted by Joe M on January 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM · Report this
Confluence 14
Who said you can't carpet munch your way to the top?
Posted by Confluence on January 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM · Report this
OOF POOF 15
Call me biased, but I like the other Tammy, Tammy Duckworth. Fellow vet, war hero, hopefully making the VA a better place.
Posted by OOF POOF on January 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM · Report this
@12: The pictures of politicians placing their hand on a Bible seem to be unofficial 'photo ops':

Posted by James Hutchings on January 4, 2013 at 4:03 AM · Report this
ROCKING!
Posted by Hopiwan on January 4, 2013 at 5:12 AM · Report this
Mr(?) Corydon - Your experience is far more fortunate than mine. I shall grant you that most are capable of exhibiting such conduct, but the act quickly vanishes as soon as it becomes clear that one represents a challenge to their privilege to order the world entirely as they like. And in a way I can sympathize. It's not like patriarchy, which hurts men too. Their world order is entirely to their benefit, and they will go to lengths to keep it. I'll agree that in general they aren't monsters.

And I am prepared to offer unilateral compassion, but not unilateral respect. My phrasing would be, "more grace than was shown to us," and, from what I've seen, we're on good track to meet that quota.

As for Ms Baldwin... well, one knows where the Senate can lead. It would provide a good reason to want to last until 2020 or 2024, and be an excellent Progressive Double Whammy... but one year at a time.
Posted by vennominon on January 4, 2013 at 5:21 AM · Report this
venomlash 19
@10: I snorted at that.
Posted by venomlash on January 4, 2013 at 6:43 AM · Report this
Corylea 20
Best of luck, Tammy!
Posted by Corylea http://corylea.com/ on January 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM · Report this