Max Solomon 1
The comment probably referred to the sainted Dorothy's assumed response the expense of the place. As a Living Building (tm), it will cost approx. $500/sf.

I'm guessing, but I bet I'm not far off.

The bleeding edge is the leading edge.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
What a bonkers comment from that other developer. Dorothy raised her children to be independent minded - she'd be delighted at the unwavering decision they made to support this bold project. @1, those costs are taken on gladly and mindfully in order for this to be a pilot project that will enable the technologies to be tried and tested, their costs reduced for those who follow.

Investing in a legacy that will make it easier for the next generations to be more environmentally sound? Dorothy would very much approve.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM · Report this
rob! 3
Charles, could you please have the graphics people at the Stranger fix the "click to enlarge" image in your article. I'm guessing you set it up yourself because the link leads to a 1 x 1 pixel nothing, and just enlarging the visible graphic leaves the text too annoyingly blurred to attempt reading. Thanks.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM · Report this
$500/sf and if you use a water fountain you'll be drinking recycled urine. Yum.
Posted by Mister G on January 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 5
@4: no you won't. the water in drinking fountains will be treated, potable rainwater. the urine is probably going to be separated from the "solids", treated, and the resulting water infitrated into the soils. might get some useful fertilizer out of the deal, too.

but it will still be expensive to build and maintain, and that's how i interpreted the comment charles quoted, @2.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 6
I was involved in the solar interconnection for this building, and was lucky enough to get a tour. It's really a fascinating place.

As for Mrs. Bullitt, I didn't know her, but I worked with her daughters on several projects. They are very gracious, very intelligent women. I think their mother would be pleased.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on January 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Solar, now there's a joke. Seattle gets one-third the solar radiation that the Southwest gets. Even with the current seven- to eight-fold subsidy on the residential side, it still takes 10 years to pay back the investment, and then the yield is just paltry.

I don't know what the commercial subsidy structure is in Seattle, but we can be sure of is that the Bullit building will generate well under 10% of its power from solar, regardless of what any of the bozos tell the public.

And before you start prattling on about Germany and solar, be sure to look at the real numbers before trying to pass along the bogus claim that they're generating half their electricity that way.

As for the water fountains, if I worked at Bullit I'd be bringing bottled water. And if I had to do their landscaping, I'd be wearing a mask.
Posted by Mister G on January 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM · Report this
venomlash 8
Turning in her grave, eh? Let's coil some wire and generate clean energy from her post-mortem gyration!
Posted by venomlash on January 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
@5, gotcha. I was just being sure nobody was left with the impression Dorothy was averse to investing very large amounts in worthwhile projects. Her entire legacy proves otherwise, doesn't it?
Posted by gloomy gus on January 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 10
Oh Mister G, how you do prattle on....
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on January 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Yes, #10, I do. And we know that if I had the right "progressive" angle, you'd lap it up like a thirsty dog.
Posted by Mister G on January 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 12
"We" know no such thing, Mr. G. But if that's the sort of story you need to tell yourself to make you feel a little less lonely in this world, by all means don't mind me.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on January 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM · Report this
Mr. G, where are you getting your "real numbers?"
Posted by fgiles on January 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM · Report this