heywhatsit!? 1
The STC can't afford to buy a hamburger. How is this possible?
Posted by heywhatsit!? on January 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM · Report this
rob! 2
I get that you're focusing on the purchaser side here, but presumably seller VVM agreed to sell at a below-market price or has to take some of the proceeds and give them right back to the Bay Guardian, no? Wasn't it BG that sued over predatory advertising practices and won?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM · Report this
rob! 3
Kinda casts this VanDeVoorde chest-thumping in a new light.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM · Report this
LEE. 4
why...if the Times bought the Weekly, it would almost be like you were in direct competition with your arch nemesis! dumb fuckin' luck, huh?
Posted by LEE. on January 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM · Report this
Gotta love those stories that you are so excited to get out that you miss a "by" in the first paragraph :)
Posted by zonod on January 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM · Report this
TVDinner 6
Crazy story about a complicated conspiracy in the Bay Area affecting the Weakly and Seattle Times just three hours after the Weed Fairy made a delivery?

Uh huh. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure, Dominic.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM · Report this
Gotta love a newspaper CEO with bad grammar (last paragraph).
Posted by elaineinballard on January 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM · Report this
I haven't read the Weekly in years. I used to pick a copy up every week, along with The Stranger, back when Audrey Van Whatever was the editor, and The Stranger wouldn't stop taking digs at the Weekly.

But somewhere along the way, I lost interest. I don't know why. I think it tried to be too much and The Stranger was just more fun to read. Last I heard, the Weekly had a decent music section, though. As much as the Weekly's occasional suburban conservatism would grate me at times, it's still a little sad to see it struggle. I don't know if I'll feel the same way once it's the Times getting sold.
Posted by floater on January 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM · Report this
Baconcat 9
@6: Shit, I made a twitter joke to that effect and now I guess I'm a biter because you made it 20 minutes before I did.
Posted by Baconcat on January 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM · Report this
Why would they want it? The print version is so thin and uninteresting. The online version isn't any better. Spambots outnumber actual commenters.
Posted by Roger Salier on January 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 11
I used the Weekly to light my charcoal chimney for my grill. It was an effective accelerant.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on January 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM · Report this
maybe the PI is trying to get back into print?
Posted by teddy b on January 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM · Report this
raku 13
The Seattle Weekly has the best music section in town, which is very unfortunate because it's a pretty bad music section.
Posted by raku on January 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM · Report this
Goldy 14
I hear that it's PubliCola that is acquiring Seattle Weekly, which will be rebranded Seattle Weekly at PubliCola at SeattleMet.
Posted by Goldy on January 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 15
@6 is probably more correct than the original post.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on January 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM · Report this
LEE. 16
@13

sure, I find that I am constantly asking myself "but what does Duff McKagen think about these current music trends?".
Posted by LEE. on January 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM · Report this
I heard the Stranger acquired the Weekly, in order to improve their music section.
Posted by ian on January 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 18
Quick! Someone call up the "Ask A Bitter Seattleite" or whatever that piece of crap column was called, and ask him what he thinks!

Or, wait, nevermind.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on January 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
Hearst ftw!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM · Report this
kitschnsync 20
The Weekly was bought by Sound Publishing. It will remain in Seattle.
Posted by kitschnsync on January 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM · Report this
@20, thank you! Looks like Seattle Weekly is about to develop a blockbuster media synergy with the Mercer Island Reporter.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 22
I hear the next issue of Seattle Weekly Little Nickel will be quite interesting.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM · Report this