The lead pastor's name is GAYDOS? This church has got to be some sort of elaborate prank.
Posted by Sahoyah on January 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
oh, fuck them SO HARD.
Posted by Adrian Ryan on January 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM · Report this
tainte 3
gross
Posted by tainte on January 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM · Report this
AIDS!! Booga Booga! Fear!
Posted by ryanmm on January 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM · Report this
Second @2- fuck them SO HARD. Save the questions and tell them to just fuck off. Assholes.
Posted by defman23 on January 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM · Report this
I think we should declare "Gay Day at Mars Hill" one Sunday and all of us go down there and bring our AIDS.
Posted by Dan Savage on January 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 7
What a coincidence! I also moved to Capitol Hill for the AIDS.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on January 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM · Report this
34x42 8
aids? in my capitol hill?
Posted by 34x42 on January 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Maybe "people with AIDS" is a synonym for "gay people," just like "urban people" means "black."
Posted by Orv on January 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
DOUG. 10
I watched the Seahawks game yesterday on Capitol Hill. I better go get tested!
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on January 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
treacle 11
INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!! I certainly hope that MARS HILL(TM) representatives get back to you Dominic.

I, and I'm quite sure many other people, will be watching this new development very closely.
Posted by treacle on January 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
34x42 12
how can potential members pray the gay away if they aren't allowed into the fold?
Posted by 34x42 on January 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Dan - Take a day off from Oddfellows writing one day, gather a troop of us gays and we shall head to Mars Hill and do some things.
Posted by Wakka Wakka on January 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Knat 14
He may have taken your call only because you were calling from a phone number he didn't recognize, and he had the good manners to not hang up on you as soon as you identified where you work. I assume you must be kidding about him calling you back, since you do still work at the same place Brendan does.
Posted by Knat on January 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
I'd personally love to GAY THE PRAY AWAY
Posted by Mario Rubalcaba on January 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM · Report this
theophrastus 16
all organized religion shared some aspect of a business; and Mars Hill shares more than its share. (just follow the money, and/or what sort of car the lead pastor drives)
Posted by theophrastus on January 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 17
@6 - Oh, that sounds lovely. I'll get my good AIDS out of storage and have them pressed. When do you want to do this? If it's in the spring, I'll have to have my white AIDS altered. I've put on some weight.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM · Report this
treacle 18
@8 - ...it's more likely than you'd think...
Posted by treacle on January 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Can we make Gaydos the new slang for homosexuals? I mean, in a awesome way. Not the usual masculine derogatory way.
Posted by 2Old_Fred3 on January 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Rotten666 20
@17 Ha!

But seriously,fuck those guys in the ear. Fucking mars hill motherfuckers.
Posted by Rotten666 on January 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
Ziggity 21
@19: Gaydos - n. - a same-sex latino/a couple.
Posted by Ziggity on January 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Does anyone know how Gaydos pronounces his name? Like "Gay[Hairdos]"? Or like "Gay[lady deers]"?
Posted by Dan Savage on January 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this
@22 Dan, there's a 3rd option, similar to "Gay[lady deers]" but you don't draw it out as much. It's terse, and more befitting "Gay[single use of a drug]." As in, they're about to get a dose of gay... and probably AIDS and cancer and hell-fire and [insert God's punishment for your unrepentant sins here].
Posted by Bored@School on January 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM · Report this
David Schmader 24
I will use all my skills and all my powers to help make Gaydos a thing.
Posted by David Schmader on January 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Fucking fucks.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Oh fun! It's like the new going to Africa to be a missionary for the young, hip, and urban set!
Posted by lbd on January 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
i hate them in the face.
Posted by deepconcentration on January 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM · Report this
I think the point is the church is serving those who are suffering. Being closer to those who they are serving is nice. I'd be interested to see what the second half of that sentence said.
Posted by Thrice21 on January 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM · Report this
So agree with the Gay Day at Mars Hill Church. Keep us posted on that one, because...you know, it just has to happen.
Posted by Mars Hill is the antichrist on January 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
@28: Yes, that may be the point, but it is remarkably tone-deaf and telling of their ignorance when they assume an entire neighborhood is riddled with gay people who have AIDS in one short comment. If they wanted to serve people living with AIDS, they would have thought to connect with a nonprofit that does that work already (e.g., Lifelong) and sought out the best way to do that without sounding like homophobic idiots. The sheer number of assumptions and caricatures that are packed into Gaydos' comment ought to make you pause.
Posted by AIDSAIDSAIDSAIDS on January 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Mars hill is a narrow minded patriarchal church. I dont trust anyone i meet who goes there. I have a weird coworker who does
Posted by darsula7 on January 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
If straight Christian allies are invited, I'm more than happy to join you any time. I'll wear my prettiest AIDS dress, and high heels for the occasion. And I almost never wear heels, so this is an occasion.
Posted by SeattleKim on January 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 33
Jesus zombie robots invade Capital Hill to cure AIDS! Hooray! Now if only there was a cure for Jesus zombie robots!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Lissa 34
If they want to minister to the suffering they're only a couple of blocks from King County Jail, not to mention the homeless population in Pioneer square. If ministering to the suffering is indeed what they have in mind.
Broadway, or The Nexus of AIDS, as it is more familiarly known, is more like a mile hike up the hill.
Posted by Lissa on January 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM · Report this
I have two theories about their "AIDS" motivation. Both are possibly true. Since churches like this tend to be a bit stuck in the 1980s, I'm not at all surprised they would assume people are languishing of AIDS rather than living with HIV.

1) Perhaps their intent is to bring their brand of religion into an area they see as full of homo sin which then of course causes AIDS and stuff, and their message will magically turn people tempted into such a dangerous and wicked lifestyle away.

2) Or maybe they intend to poach the sinners dying of AIDS into converting before they die.

Or something like that.. vile as they are, churches like this are at least fairly predictable.
Posted by Paul F on January 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM · Report this
@28, if I were suffering, I'm not sure I'd want to be served by somebody who doesn't believe I have a right to exist
Posted by Paul F on January 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 37
@34--those are excellent points.

I have an old friend who is a "pastor" at a church built (as far as I can tell from my very, very safe distance) on the Mars Hill model. He has gotten progressively weirder and impossible to carry on a conversation with over the years, to the point that I just sort of passively keep up with him and his family on the Facebook and leave it at that.

Lately, they've decided to adopt a kid, and they have decided to particularly adopt one from South Korea. I have no idea why, but I get the impression that they seem to think they will be rescuing someone from abject poverty, even though Seoul has a better standard of living than an awful lot of places in the US and A.

(It seems to me that if they want to do a kid a favor, they should adopt one from South Dakota...but I digress.)

Anyway, that's kind of what this whole "we want to be close to Capitol Hill so we can 'minister' to the wretched people with AIDS" thing makes me think of.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on January 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Ick.
Posted by M. Wells on January 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 39
Ugh. Capitol!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 40
@22, 23 - I've been pronouncing it like Gay-DOS, the gay disc operating system.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM · Report this
brandon 41
Can we shit on their doorstep? Or do we have to be all tolerant and shit?
Posted by brandon on January 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM · Report this
The Capitol Hill location is just a cover so the closeted members have plausible deniability for spending so much time in close proximity to hot gay guys. Impending scandal for certain.
Posted by tiktok on January 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Does anyone have any AIDS I can borrow? Mine got stolen out of my car this weekend.

Also, I cannot stop giggling over "Gaydos" in any of its possible pronunciations. But especially "Gay[Hairdos]".
Posted by JenV on January 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM · Report this
I drive by the Mars Hill compound in West Seattle every day. I give them the finger every time. Ignorance + fear-based agenda + mass psychosis = MEGACHURCH!
Posted by ELBSeattle on January 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM · Report this
stephaniedrury 45
Somehow they manage to keep surprising me.
Posted by stephaniedrury http://stuffchristianculturelikes.com on January 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM · Report this
The church does serve the homeless and has created safe houses for women that have been trapped in the sex slave industry. The help the addicted, hurting and abused. It seems to me that the church does so much good, but people are stuck on a few statements that have been taken out of context. This church also gathers together and cleans the streets, scrubs graffiti off of walls and feeds the poor. When is the last time that you are I did that?
Posted by Thrice21 on January 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Well, here's one thing to remember about Gay Day at Mars Hill (which sounds like a wonderful idea): Christian fundamentalists have a strong persecution complex. They luxuriate in it. It's them against the heathen world, dontchaknow. So there is nothing that they would like more than a mob of angry liberals from Capitol Hill storming their new urban location and breaking their windows. Therefore, if we do this, let's be nice about it. Let's bring more liberal sunshine than fundie fire and brimstone.
Posted by floater on January 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Hawke 48
@46, ooh they should never be called out on their blatant homophobia because they clean graffiti? And what have we been doing about it? How about fighting you fucking pieces of shit for ignoring the AIDS crisis back when it first started back in the early 80's? Where were we? Taking care of our sick community members without a heaping dose of judgmental assholery. We don't need the help of a bunch of deluded freaks who believe in an imaginary cloud being giving them the right to discriminate against others. Keep your circle jerks to your church and let the rest of us be.
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on January 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM · Report this
49 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy
Instead of Gay Day at Mars Hill, just show up en masse, sit down in the pews, and treat it like stand up comedy. I've gone to Mars Hill a couple times (high as fuck), and you're guaranteed some really crazy, nutjob stuff. There will be things to laugh at. Do it loudly, say things like "can you believe this guy?" so that everyone can hear. If he says something REALLY crazy, catcall the screen. The best part is that Mark Driscoll won't actually be there to respond.

Do this for a couple weeks. Less feelings of persecution, more of humiliation.
Posted by redemma on January 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
KingofQueenAnne 51
Goddamn it. I used to look at that building and swear to myself that if I ever won the lottery, I would buy it, lovingly restore it, and then make it the most fabulous roller derby rink in the universe. Truly there is no god, because for the universe to allow this douchecock to take that building for THIS is appalling.
Posted by KingofQueenAnne http://blingeejesus.blogspot.com on January 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Geni 52
What ever happened to the idea of feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, clothing the naked, and nursing the wounded? Or are those ideas just no good for recruiting all the new members they need so Driscoll can buy himself another Mercedes?
Posted by Geni on January 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 53
@51 - Well shit. I was hoping it wasn't that building at 5th and Marion. Shit. That beautiful building used to house some of the nicest Christians ever. Now I have to hate it. Damn.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM · Report this
sprflycat 54
Oh God, I love it when Strangers nail the church!
Posted by sprflycat http://hustleandfaith.tumblr.com/ on January 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM · Report this
Please don't hate God, for what the people of this Church is doing. The God I know and love, has always opened his heart to all, not just the so called straight people of the earth. Jerrel this is your Dad, and I am very proud you and I will always stand up for you. Love Dad
Posted by gayleralph@yahoo.com on January 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM · Report this
Well, If I didn't have the desire to troll Mars Hill before (I did - think of how fun it could be!) I certainly do now...
Posted by KatTheCanuckistan http://soundmusing.blogspot.com/ on January 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM · Report this
curtisp 57
#46 Sweetie - in Alabama the Klan cleans up trash on the roadways from time to time. So what's your point?
Posted by curtisp on January 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 58
@51- there ought to be a law or something- no Stone Age Bible Thumping Church allowed to purchase and deface historic downtown buildings. These idiots getting their claws on that property is a crime against nature.
Posted by OutInBumF on January 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM · Report this
Greg 59
*sigh*
Posted by Greg on January 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM · Report this
I think that people on here are just up there own backsides, firstly you are all taking what some online 'Slog' is saying, without ever thinking that things said could be turn around so it gets this kind of reaction. Secondly, why put believing people down and the church itself down? They want to help people who have HIV/AIDS, and be there for people whose families may have turned thier backs on them because of a illness. They don't preach harm or anything like that. Just a fantastic set of morals and ways to live by, ways and morals that have been thrown to the side, so that tv and internet now run peoples beliefs and lives. Self-centreness, anger and bitterness is all that is coming across from the comments on here. Nothing positive or actually thought provoking. Weather your gay or straight, rich or poor or just in need, a good church like marshill will always and should always be there to help when your in need. I dont go to this church or live in Seattle or even the USA but from what i have seen from the church the teaching is correct.
Grow up, and try and use more words than just the f word lots.
Posted by squizely on January 15, 2013 at 5:27 AM · Report this
"... a fantastic set of morals and ways to live by, ways and morals that have been thrown to the side, so that tv and internet now run peoples beliefs and lives."

Did you not see the bit where the sermons at MH are delivered by monitor, and not in person? How is a telecast worship service any different from TV & Internet running people's beliefs and lives.

We know you are one person posting under different monikers: you can't even hide your poor mastery of English. Is this an "outreach effort?" How many people do you think you're going to persuade here? Try a different church that isn't so much about entertainment complex and megalomania, or think about what you really get out of MH.
Hint hint: check Yelp.com, joyfulexiles.com. Try to think about the value of "shunning" in a "loving church committed to following Jesus."
Posted by We don't have to love or tolerate cults, toots on January 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM · Report this
chinaski 62
Shut up and pass me the bag of Gaydos!
Posted by chinaski on January 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM · Report this
There is a longer article here http://crosscut.com/2013/01/09/religion/…

I'm no apologist for Mars Hill, and would not join it, but it does sound like they do practice some good works, and I don't think every member shares the same views as Mark Driscoll...but it's obviously offering something people want, or it wouldn't be growing.
Posted by beesaregood on January 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM · Report this
@63: If you know of any MH member who doesn't hold the same views as Mark Driscoll, please forward their names to the Pastor so they can be re-educated.
Posted by tiktok on January 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 65
the topic of the article is a tipped over FAILBOAT, but @40 wins the thread anyway
Posted by wilbur@work on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 66
Update: @48 wins bigger. SMASH MARS HILL
Posted by wilbur@work on January 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 67
@63 Good works performed to justify bigotry are not good works. In fact, their hypocrisy generally makes things much worse. Remember the wonderful visit Ryan paid that soup kitchen to wash pots & pans? Everyone knew it was a stunt, and the backlash hurt the kitchen. What's worse is that Ryan & co. didn't do anything meaningful or lasting.

I've seen that scenario played out over & over: the whitewashers, even the true believers (aka dupes) don't make things any better, because they're not coming from a position of actually caring. They don't see those who they help as real people, but as nobodies who should feel overwhelmingly grateful that 'the chosen,' 'the saved,' 'the good people' have deigned to help them.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM · Report this
StaticInvasion 68
Church sucks. Mars Hill especially sucks.
Posted by StaticInvasion http://www.ryancrase.com on February 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM · Report this
69 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy