Line Out Comments

Tovirus 1
"make Zola Jesus sound like Diamanda GalÁs"

Not sure I understand. Is Zola Jesus considered super easy listening these days? Never heard Niki and the Dove but that analogy doesn't really help.
Posted by Tovirus on January 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
blip 2
This is music for girls! It has no place on a serious label like Sub Pop.

(side note: secretaries are called administrative assistants in this century)
Posted by blip on January 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM · Report this
@2 Why are you implying that all "girls" are "administrative assistants"?
Posted by Dave Segal on January 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
blip 4
@3, I’m not implying anything. I am acknowledging that "secretary" has a very gender-specific connotation, and as such carries with it a whole bunch of baggage, namely that people don't take secretaries seriously. This is why we now refer to their job as "administrative assistant."

(BTW I know I'm being a total feminist joykill right now and I'm not proud of it.)
Posted by blip on January 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM · Report this
God's Balls!
Posted by Help_Me,Jon_Pepsi! on January 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this
They probably figured out they needed a "The Knife" like band in their roster, it makes economic sense. I like the video, though, I'm a sucker for cosmic triangles and floating foxes from space.
Posted by ejival on January 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM · Report this
LEE. 7
yeeeeeaaaahhhh, I'd rather Sub Pop sign another dozen groups like this than Fleet Foxes or Head and the Heart. when not listening to ugly, aggressive slop or some super bummer music, my preferred sound is lots of synths and a lady with a nice yet slightly irritating voice. the whole sensitive guys trying to be like Bread-with-beards-thing needs to die.
Posted by LEE. on January 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 8
Good on you, Sub Pop.

Personally, I am quite fond of the following musical acts (among others): Niki and the Dove, CocoRosie, Zola Jesus, The Knife, Fleet Foxes, and Head and the Heart.

I also love Tool (greatest band of all time)/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer, NIN/Trent Reznor, Mastodon, System of a Down, and Queens of the Stone Age (among others), so there.

And this video is great. How could you not love that electric samurai cat face floating amidst fireworks and bursting into flame?

You crazy, Dave Segal.
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on January 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM · Report this
Keekee 9
Sounds like Robyn to mine ears!
Posted by Keekee on January 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Simone 10
I like the band and the video. I'd love to have a fox mask like that and or a Mayan/Incan/Aztec mask.

I don't know why but it made me think of that Star Fox three-dimensional Nintendo video game from the 90's.
Posted by Simone on January 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this