Cato the Younger Younger 1
May all future remakes of any movie bankrupt the studio that produces them and may all the actors die slow painful deaths
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
stinkbug 2
A better poll would be:

Gremlins 2 (1990) - a good sequel or a great sequel?
Posted by stinkbug on January 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Fried Worms 3
@2 beat me to it. Came here to say that option 3 doesn't recognize the existence of a very real Gremlins sequel. Which was a comedy.

(best part of that movie is the moment when the gal tells the story of the childhood trauma that makes her hate president's day, mocking the first Gremlin's movie re: her dead dad and christmas.)
Posted by Fried Worms on January 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 4
There was enough wrong with the original Gremlins that it can stand being remade. But it would have to be done right, and there's no reason to believe it will be in this case.
Posted by Matt from Denver on January 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 5
STOP THIS NONSENSE, HOLLYWOOD.
Posted by Megan Seling on January 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM · Report this
@3 Yes! Holy fuck that's funny.
Posted by Cappelletti on January 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
blip 7
I object primarily on the grounds that it will be a bunch of CGI bullshit.
Posted by blip on January 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
God no. And if Tim Burton and/or Johnny Depp come anywhere near this, I think we should fabricate some anti-Islamic statements by them so that they'll be forced to go underground.
Posted by redemma on January 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Bub 9
Fun fact: Gremlins star Zach Galligan was my first celebrity crush. I think it was his big, dark eyes and those sensational black curls.
Posted by Bub on January 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
"Gremlins was the last original monster movie"

Gremlins was a pastiche of all the old monster movies. Hits all the great cliches and makes them good again. Spielberg did the same thing in the same era with Poltergeist. Back when he could still make movies. They're good movies, yeah, but I wouldn't call them original.
Posted by GermanSausage on January 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM · Report this
brandon 11
I liked Gremlins 2 better.

Go ahead nerds, your insults only make me stronger!
Posted by brandon on January 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM · Report this
My vote is for: how about a new idea, Hollywood?
Posted by Superjivus on January 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Agreed with @7.
Posted by MLM on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM · Report this
I wouldn't mind all the remakes if they remade movies that could've been good, but sucked. Dredd was good because the original Judge Dredd movie was terrible. In 20 years, I hope someone remakes Prometheus. But I guess those wouldn't be guaranteed money makers...
Posted by redemma on January 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM · Report this
onion 15
i'm with 1.
i hate remakes. all of them.
Posted by onion on January 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
You know, I tried to watch Gremlins over Christmas. It would have been totally fucking amazing. But Gremlins is not available digitally, at all. It's not on iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. I was absolutely ready to send someone money for it but they won't have it. How dumb! And here I am Gremlinsless.
Posted by senor chris on January 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM · Report this
chinaski 17
@16 you could get off your ass and go to scarecrow video.
Posted by chinaski on January 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 18
Gremlins is one of my favorite Christmas movies....please don't remake it and ruin Christmas!

And Gremlins 2! I watched that movie over and over again when it came out on VHS (remember "rewinding"?). I loved all the genetically altered variations....and retroactively appreciated that it has The Doctor (Robert Picardo) from Star Trek: Voyager...only with more hair!

Posted by ArtBasketSara on January 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 19
I have one group of friends who are in their late 30s, and they just love both Gremlins and The Goonies. I attribute it entirely to nostalgia.

Granted, my 10-year-old self would have loved them, too (had they come out in 1974), and I suppose that fondness would have lingered to this day, but seeing both for the first time last year, I found them nearly unwatchable.
Posted by Free Lunch on January 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM · Report this
I think one of my favorite scenes of all time is when the old invalid is in her motorized chair that goes up and down the stairs and the Gremlins get their hands on it and invalid shoots up the stairs and I think flies out a window or something-- prob wouldn't be made like that today cause it's not PC but it's AWESOME!!!!
Posted by freshnycman on January 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM · Report this