Sargon Bighorn 1
There's nothing more vapid than a 20-30something year old Gay man.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on January 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM · Report this
That was hilarious. Those guys couldn't even handle talking about vaginas. But yet, they owe everything they love to vaginas. I will be replaying that one many times.
Posted by SeattleKim on January 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Mittens Schrodinger 3
Can we see the Lesbian Penis Monologues now?
Posted by Mittens Schrodinger on January 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
I couldn't help but notice that this still frames women as nothing more than sexual vessels to fulfill the desires of men, but for gay men, the value is even more attenuated from the person (the woman) than usual. Not sure this should be considered "positive" in any way, shape, or form.
Posted by Faber on January 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM · Report this
As opposed to wonderful self, there @1? Do enlighten us.
Posted by FonsieScheme on January 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
The misogynist young gay man trope is so tired. Why even post this vapid crap?
Posted by bellelaide on January 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
TreGibbs 7
The title is wrong - this should be called, "What Effeminate Gay 20-Somethings Think About Vaginas"
Posted by TreGibbs on January 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM · Report this
wingedkat 8
@4 What do you expect them to say? This is like asking someone "what do you think of livers?" Isolated from the bodies they are part of, livers are an ugly, squishy bloody mess, but we need them to survive. So, over-all they are good, as long as we don't have to look at them.

Really, straight women only think about vaginas because they have them, and most straight men only think about them because of sex. I think squeamish respect is pretty good from a gay man, all things considered.
Posted by wingedkat on January 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Well unlike yourself, Dan, none of them compared a vag to a canned ham dropped from a tall building.
Posted by Westside forever on January 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM · Report this
blip 10
@8 I think the problem is that the question is even being asked in the first place. Their answers probably could have been much worse -- although, as a non-vagina-having / non-vagina-familiar person I'm in no position to judge whether this is offensive -- but the entire premise is kind of fucked up. Why even ask the question in the first place, knowing the answers are going to be at best textbook descriptions of their basic functions, at worst squeamish and ignorant.
Posted by blip on January 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Thumbs down on this one, Dan.
Posted by AK on January 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
@8 - Except every living being has a liver, and only half of the population has a vagina. A population that has been systematically oppressed for having said organ. The same cannot be said of livers. Are these jokes funny without making fun of, or being made to feel awkward about, the organ in question?
Posted by barfy cute on January 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 13
correction, westside. like a canned ham dropped from the 23rd floor of the washington mutual building.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on January 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
It's kinder than this one:

Posted by og on January 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM · Report this
I think it's funny.

@9: Taco and grilled cheese sandwich vs. ham
Posted by migrationist on January 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM · Report this
debug 16
Cold and squishy? Only if she's been out ice fishing all day in MN.
Posted by debug on January 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 17
I'm somewhere between @2 and @6.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on January 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM · Report this
tainte 18
oooh, vaginas are sooo gross! now let me lube up this butthole and stick my wiener in it.
Posted by tainte on January 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
Alanmt 19
I found it funny. But then, my sense of humor is larger than my "what can I find offensive now" sensor.
Posted by Alanmt on January 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM · Report this
It would be more interesting to hear what they think about boobs.
Posted by og on January 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 21
wow @14 i hadn't heard that one. that's awful.

didn't like this video either, along the same lines of what blip said at the end of his comment @10. what's the point?
Posted by mr. herriman on January 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM · Report this
Lighten up, people. It was amusing. "cold wet watermelon" cracked me up.

love,
a vagina - haver
Posted by wxPDX on January 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Huh. I find it odd and rather upsetting that any part of the body is considered with such revulsion by some people. Is it 'cos I'm bisexual? Or is it that learning to like the human body is part of becoming a grownup?

Anyway, I didn't need to see this
Posted by misspiggy on January 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM · Report this
lolorhone 24
Some people find it funny to watch other people squirm. I don't think the thought process went any deeper than that- which may be what some find offensive about it.
Posted by lolorhone on January 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM · Report this
@1 fail, 20-something gay men are not vapid.

20 something gay men are soo cute, like puppies!

But with better abs!!

And some really do talk with exclamation points!!!

Twinks = Twinkies. Not nutritious long term, but delish for an occasional snack.
Posted by delta35 on January 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM · Report this
Knat 26
The hand gestures alone make this really entertaining.
Posted by Knat on January 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Sandiai 27
I liked the chattering teeth analogy.
Posted by Sandiai on January 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM · Report this
I have a brother-in law who is gay and very rights oriented, but expresses revulsion about vagina's. I am one comment away from calling him on it. He seems to think being gay means expressing hatred of women's bodies. Jesus - we get enough attitude from the misogynist straight men - we don't need it from the gay lads - Just because you are not attracted to women's bodies does not mean you need to hate on them. Grow up.
Posted by EmmaPeel1967 on January 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM · Report this
I'm a woman, and I don't find this offensive, but I do find it stupid and pointless.
Posted by agony on January 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM · Report this
I don't understand this. It isn't funny and it doesn't shed new light on anything. What is the point? To film men saying how disgusting vaginas are (but it's OK when these guys say it because they're gay)?
Posted by random_lez on January 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM · Report this
I thought it was hilarious! Lighten up you guys! There are people who actually are mysogynists out there that are actively doing things to thwart us vagina-havers and this silly video is NOT one of their tools. So take a deep breath and take it in the spirit it's given, light hearted and funny.
Posted by Mer-Mer on January 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM · Report this
One of them, if he'd had better hair, might almost have looked like Jeffrey Buttle. It's not easy to be both misogynistic and misandristic in under three minutes, though I don't know if credit is exactly what one wants to assign.
Posted by vennominon on January 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM · Report this
Well if we look at the roots of misogyny, it literally means hatred of vagina. So yes, gay men are misogynists. I'll have to accept the fact I am and push forward through my grief.

Boobs, on the other hand, everyone loves boobs. Gay, straight, bi, whatever- everyone loves tits.
Posted by PardonMe on January 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM · Report this
Well that is one low bar. Why post this drivel? Does anyone in the universe benefit from this tired old saw about vaginas being yucky to gay men? Jesus.
Posted by Racing Turtles on January 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM · Report this
Confluence 35
@18

Exactly.

Ooo vaginas gross! But hairy smelly man butthole? Now that's just yum!

Waiting patiently now for the video of lezbos expressing repulsion toward filthy dicks. Lemme guess, Dan won't be posting that one.
Posted by Confluence on January 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM · Report this
milemarker 36
These guys sound like they all went to the same high school.
Posted by milemarker on January 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM · Report this
I think Dan needs to test drive a flesh light so see if it's all that bad.
Posted by fotoeve on January 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM · Report this
Meh, I totally thought the overall theme was perplexed discomfort, not hostility. In general, we laugh at things we aren't comfortable with. Some were even trying to be nice, but couldn't really come up with much beyond "People come out of vaginas, which is important."

These guys have a set of naughty bits they're familiar with. Now naughty bits are theoretically icky for a lot of people, but some leeway is cut for naughty bits you like and naughty bits you have. Asking about naughty bits you neither like nor have leaves you with something unreservedly in the ick zone if you haven't gone out of your way to get over those juvenile feelings.

I thought the misconceptions were pretty funny. Cold watermelon?! Aren't you cute!
Posted by Kaliann on January 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM · Report this
Mr Pardon - Wrong.
Posted by vennominon on January 18, 2013 at 3:27 AM · Report this
Indighost 40
Hey Dan,

I'm a big fan of you, and I love your funny advice, but this is just stupid and pointless. It's just humans hating on humans. It wouldn't be any funnier to have a bunch of women insulting the opposite, just equally useless and sad. Thumbs down.
Posted by Indighost on January 18, 2013 at 6:32 AM · Report this
Unless I want you in my vagina, I couldn't care less what you think about it.
Posted by ignatz ratzkywatzky on January 18, 2013 at 6:44 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 42
I'm 40 years old and vaginas are disgusting. I had to deal one when I was born and I never wanted to look back....EVER!!

Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM · Report this
Have to agree with thumbs down. What's post-worthy here? Nothing particularly funny, a little less of a horror show than I expected, but okay. Certainly not much to dispel the stereotype of gay man misogyny, especially having the idea of the question/video in the first place.
Posted by CLDG on January 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM · Report this
This is kind of a thing w/ some gay guys, isn't it? So why not lesbians? Lesbians (at least me and many I've talked to) definitely have similar feelings toward penises, (and, going further, as a lesbian I can relate to gay guys on this point, in the opposite direction).

But why is this something that some gay guys (def not all) LOVE talking about, whereas lesbians don't? I know partly I just think it would be rude if I were to go on about how penises leave me cold and whenever I saw one when I was trying to be straight in high school I was like oh no not this shit again.

But why do some gay guys feel like they need to keep hitting this point? I'm not offended by it at all bc I understand and relate to the opposite feeling, like I said, and I don't think anyone is really going to threaten the popularity/appeal of vaginas. But I can't help but be interested in the stark diff between lesbians and gay guys w/ this issue. Maybe I think that people would really not take it well if I made disparaging remarks about dicks in mixed company? Whereas this is something easier to get away with? I don't know, it's interesting.

Anyway, I'll leave you all to your penis adoration. Enjoy that. I need to go finish this gigantic painting of a flower I'm working on.
Posted by LRH21 on January 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM · Report this
pghbear 45
Posted by pghbear on January 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM · Report this
I thought it was cute. I felt like only one guy really expressed anything more negative than discomfort. And I have a vagina. Also, it was cute at the end when the one guy realized that he owed everything to vagina.
Posted by alguna_rubia on January 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
I'm a straight woman and I thought this video was really stupid. There really is nothing like having total strangers make fun of your anatomy ... only to realize that hey, you might need a vagina to make people. Which most of us learn in sixth grade. So. Can we please stick to stuff that's more sex-positive for everyone?
Posted by Love, the vagina you came out of on January 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM · Report this
Dan, you have made some good, even great contributions to modern culture. But you can also be very juvenile and mean-spirited. Despite being called out on it countless times over the years, you persist in posting this crap as though you have Tourette's and just can't help it. I've defended you to my friends and partner for years, but I'm done. Until you grow up and show some respect (consistently, to ALL humans, not just the ones that give you a boner), and stop behaving like an immature playground bully yourself, I'm no longer a reader of your misogynist hate posts. You've been a real disappointment.
Posted by jen on January 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM · Report this
I thought it was cute and funny. I definitely don't see the misogyny that some are claiming. Lighten up a bit, maybe?
Posted by tejanojim on January 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Um, Jen? @48?

Looks like you'll have to stop reading Jezebel too.

I wasn't going to post this video half way through — because I thought it was just going to be "eww." But I thought it was funny and respectful, embracing gay male discomfort with vagina and then... embracing vagina, loving vagina. And the folks at Jezebel seem to agree with me.
Posted by Dan Savage on January 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM · Report this
Someone might want to cut down on the Assimilation Pills, or at least, if this trip is truly necessary (and I am magnanimous enough to allow that it may be), make it alone without trying to drag everyone else in the same direction. For those who like that sort of thing, more power to them and bon voyage.
Posted by vennominon on January 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM · Report this
This video was a little disheartening, to be honest. I know at the end they 'came around' in a way, saying thank you to vagina's, but the first half of the video was a stream of negativity concerning a part of a woman's body we're still trying to make women not feel ashamed of. If that kind of negativity was coming from straight men, it would be appalling, but for some reason people seem to think from gay men it's harmless and funny. 'They don't known any better' kind of mentality. It's embarrassing and painful to hear that kind of negativity to a basic body part that I and half the rest of the world have.
Posted by Sara C. on January 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM · Report this
Hey, Fabio's in town! he was in queen anne tonight!
Posted by j2patter on January 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 54
Thank you, Dan. This was hilarious.
And thank you, @14. I actually laughed till my eyes watered.
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on January 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 55
@50: So what? Just because some cyber rag also ran it doesn't bless it with some contorted sense of a 'journalistic standard'!
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on January 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM · Report this
Ophian 56
Cute. Harmless. Insignificant.

I would spare 3 minutes to see a montage of lesbians expressing honest disgust/indifference/embarrassment/&c. regarding penis.
Posted by Ophian on January 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM · Report this
shurenka 57
as a woman, i have to agree with 10. it came across as a bit puerile and misogynistic at parts -- esp. the comparison of a vagina (or more properly, vulva) to an old person's mouth. other parts were funny, i'll say, though.

still: it is not really applicable to flip the situation and say "well if this were about (lesbians and) penises it would be hilarious!" women have been regarded as inferior throughout history... their bodies considered shameful or unclean (esp. the vulva/vagina). This reinforces that trope. which does not exist for men/penis-havers.
Posted by shurenka on January 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM · Report this
The negative reaction to this post is not undeserved. The idea that being rightly offended means that you have no sense of humor and look to just be offended is juvenile. The best feminists can hope for in most situations is consciousness raising. Mr. Savage has every right to post this video, but he doesn't also get the luxury of being ignorant about the message it sends.
Posted by Minerva on January 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM · Report this
kim in portland 59
What was the point? I do not care for it, either. And, a thumbs up from Jezebel does not give it blanket approval.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on January 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM · Report this
kim in portland 60
I take it back. It is as funny as being called "bitches".

@fakedansavage: They do, you know. http://t.co/NYWI4EfM
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on January 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Any time I see an interview where the questions have been edited out, I get suspicious. The length of the answers and the common themes in the answers make me think that there must have been followup questions after the first "What do you think about vaginas?".
Posted by Asbel on January 20, 2013 at 9:58 AM · Report this