emma's bee 1
Have fun, it's an awesome board game. Used to play all the time as a kid and bought my own on ebay. All artworks are (or were) owned by the Art Institute of Chicago.
Posted by emma's bee on January 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Mittens Schrodinger 2
You need to get Cienna Madrid all up in there, for sure.
Posted by Mittens Schrodinger on January 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Wow. I had that game as a kid and absolutely loved it (although I had forgotten all about it until this moment). As I recall, there was one painting, of a woman and a child in a garden, that we all fought to own (maybe a Monet?). I'm jealous and may have to go looking on Ebay.
Posted by alexandria on January 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Fnarf 4
I used to play this all the time as well. Where do you think I learned to wear an ascot?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
@1, I played it too - such a classy feeling to be a ten-year-old nosepicker wheeling and dealing art.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM · Report this
treacle 6
Mudede played Monopoly? I wonder if he knows that Monopoly is theft!
Posted by treacle on January 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM · Report this
Paul Constant 7
I'm amazed that four out of five commenters on this thread have played this game. I never heard of it before this morning.

If any of you seasoned art speculators have any hot tips for strategy: pconstant@thestranger.com.
Posted by Paul Constant http://https://twitter.com/paulconstant on January 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Both my GF and I played this as kids as well. And her childhood game is sitting in my closet at this very moment. Played it as an adult for the first time about a year ago and had a blast. Much hilarity ensued.
Posted by fool4surf on January 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Fnarf 9
@7, we are old. And I am older than @1, who played the 1976 edition; mine was from 1970, and had different paintings, from the National Gallery in London.

Any of you board game dorks ever play "Twixt" or "Contigo" or "Quinto" or any of the other 3M Bookshelf Series?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
@1, I didn't remember them being Art Institute works. Wiki to the rescue: the version I played was the earlier 1970, in which the works were all from the National Gallery in London. Wiki also has this gem detail:
In 1999, while playing Masterpiece, a man from Indiana noticed that the cheap painting he used to cover a hole in his wall bore a striking resemblance to a painting by Martin Johnson Heade featured in the game. It was later discovered that this was a previously unknown work by Heade, Magnolias on Gold Velvet Cloth, and it was purchased by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston for $1.25 million in 1999.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM · Report this
The traditional role of business executives has been to manage, to produce, to sell, to create jobs, to make profits, to improve the standard of living, to be community leaders, to serve on charitable and educational boards, and generally to be good citizens. They have performed these tasks very well indeed.

But they have shown little stomach for hard-nose contest with their critics.
Posted by tim koch on January 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
We had this game (among many) when I was growing up. A lot of fun as I recall but I haven't played in years.
Posted by westello on January 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
@7 - Yes. I still have a copy of Twixt, and could probably acquire one of the others without a lot of trouble. But then I still have my ancient copies of TUF and TUF-ABET.

And I had the 1976 version of Masterpiece as a kid - played it to death with family members and friends at any opportunity.
Posted by palamedes on January 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
My family must have had the 1976 version as well. It was fun to go to the Art Institute as a young adult and find the paintings from the game.

My sister and I were not allowed to play when we were very young. The game was too grown-up apparently -- though really it's a simple game. By the time we were old enough, the rest of the family had lost interest so we just played against each other and she kicked my ass most of the time.
Posted by kitsapien on January 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Sorry, meant @9.
Posted by palamedes on January 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Oooooh, I think I have that in my closet, next to my old Clue game and Chutes and Ladders. Loved playing that as a kid.
Posted by SeattleKim on January 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 17
My family played this game, too. Definitely the Chicago version - it included "American Gothic," which puzzled me as to why it was considered a "masterpiece" at the time. Yes, I was a six year old art critic.
Posted by Matt from Denver on January 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 18

Never heard of it...the same way you looked blankly at the Etch A Sketch in the lunch room no doubt, comrade.

Quick. Who won the world's series in 1998?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on January 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 19
I played the '76 edition. It's still in my parent's house, but it hasn't been touched in years.

My favorite 70's board game - though distinctly lower brow - was "The Sinking of the Titanic." The game play had two stages: running around the ship as it sinks rescuing passengers, and then the lifeboat phase. We wore that game out.
Posted by Free Lunch on January 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 20
I used to love this game. Probably the same 1976 edition. Not sure if it was the Canadian edition, though.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM · Report this
I love that game so much that I tracked one down not long ago and it's in our games closet. Since it takes at least three players, we generally don't have enough people to play, but I'm glad I have it.
Posted by FranFW on January 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 22
You're lucky I'm not there: I would go so Milicent Friendly on your asses, you wouldn't know what hit you.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM · Report this
You see, Jen, if you want comments on your posts, this is how you do it. Don't post about art.
Posted by ian on January 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM · Report this
I used to play this game with my cousins. I inherited it and moved it with me dozens of times until so many cards were lost that it was impossible to play. Has it been re-released? That would be rad.
Posted by johnnycache on January 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM · Report this
COMTE 25
If it's a "worthless forgery", shouldn't you be able to sue the hell out of the auction house for misrepresentation?
Posted by COMTE on January 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM · Report this
Rev. Adam McKinney 26
When do we find out who murdered the blackmailer?
Posted by Rev. Adam McKinney http://weeklyvolcano.com on January 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM · Report this
I wanna play.
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on January 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM · Report this
emma's bee 28
@5 and 9: I didn't realize there was an earlier version. Weird though. The one I picked up on ebay is dated 1970, but still has all the works I remember from TAIC. We used to run around the museum on field trips looking for our favorite paintings.

I had a huge crush on Velazquez's John the Baptist.
Posted by emma's bee on January 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 29
Sadly, the Mona Lisa in the Louvre was never that good in real life. Not in the 70s or circa 1997-2002.

I've always been underwhelmed by it.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM · Report this
Fnarf 30
@29, you are a sad, sad little worm of a man.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM · Report this
Anna Anna Anna 31
SCORE. I vote Emily Nokes should play.
Posted by Anna Anna Anna on January 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM · Report this
TVDinner 32
@28: Was that John the Baptist or Juan de Pareja? This dishy fellow?
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 33
@ 29, is there a Mona Lisa in the Hermitage, too? Maybe one in the Vancouver Art Gallery? Maybe those will impress you more than the Mona Lisa in the Louvre.
Posted by Matt from Denver on January 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM · Report this
ERIN! 34
A friend of mine from grad school gave this to me a few years ago, because we were both going to school for art history and it made sense. She went to the trouble of hunting it down on eBay. One of the best birthday gifts I've ever received.
Posted by ERIN! on January 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM · Report this
Cynic Romantic 35
I think there should be a staff vs commenters game.
Posted by Cynic Romantic on January 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM · Report this
emma's bee 36
@32: no, this guy. http://www.carolsutton.net/breda/velazqu… Quite the hottie to 11-year-old me.
Posted by emma's bee on January 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM · Report this
TVDinner 37
@36: Hubba hubba! (I'm more of a Pareja girl, myself.)
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 38
If you have an open spot, I'm all over that game. Hells yes.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM · Report this
Mudede has to be Dietrich von Oberlitzer. For Dominic Holden, it's a tough call between Count Francois and V. Elton Whitehall, but I don't want to impose gender roles.

Note to strategists: It's all about the poker face. Bluff on the forgeries.
Posted by seanrobinson on January 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM · Report this
I had the 1970 version. I never knew there were other versions! I'm going to Ebay them all and combine them!
Posted by ratzkywatzky on January 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM · Report this
Still have this from my childhood...and it's even more fun (at least as an adult) if you add a house rule that everyone has to role-play their character. (For yet more fun, add another that the characters have to be randomly drawn at the beginning of the game.)

Posted by DonServo on January 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM · Report this
This is the best thread ever.
Posted by clashfan on January 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM · Report this