American socialists aren't particularly embraceable as a rule, though, are they? Look at that magnificent Lupe Fiasco move last night, invited to play the inaugural concert and look what happened.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 2
As an American socialist, I have a hard time embracing American socialists.
Posted by Asparagus! on January 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Part of it is that there's no one American socialists love attacking so much as other American socialists - and others who would otherwise be their friends. See Warren Beatty's "Reds" for a great portrait of American socialist (and communist) infighting.
Posted by Pope Buck I on January 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
If we vote in force in every election we'll continue to get closer to an ideal. An Ideal that uses all the tools at our disposal. No absolutes, only solutions. But I will say this, there are people who don't want to be a part of the solution but a part of the problem. They have no compunction about hurting others. So I think this should read "...while there is an innocent soul in prison..."
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 5
Being one of the only socialists on Slog let me just remind everyone Presidents go to the right during their second terms...not the left.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 6
@5 Obama breaks many molds.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM · Report this
sirkowski 7
I am a leftist and I have no problem throwing criminals in jail.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on January 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this