singing cynic 1
Tell me again how this is different from the women that Jerry Seinfeld or Jason Alexander dated on Seinfeld? Or Woody Allen dated in any movie ever?

Posted by singing cynic on January 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 4
Related: In real life, chubby blue collar man-children rarely pull down the hot wives they typically have in sitcoms, either. Film at 11.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on January 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM · Report this
Sorry Anonymous, you're superficial as shit. One of the few good things about being adult is that pretty much every one whose somewhat social gets laid. If you have not seen a chubby girl getting some attention you havent left your house.
Posted by loud_voices on January 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM · Report this
biffp 6
The point of the show is how oblivious Hannah is. Missy Elliot quotes, arguing about her writing etc. Adam is a crazy person to be dating, and he wouldn't confused with Tom Brady.
Posted by biffp on January 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Cracker Jack 7
Every TV show ever is extremely unrealistic. You want real, look out the window. 99.95% of the time it's gonna be boring as hell. That's why TV isn't realistic.
Posted by Cracker Jack on January 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM · Report this
*an adult
Posted by loud_voices on January 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM · Report this
danewood 9
I consider myself a reasonably attractive guy and I'd totally fuck Lena Dunham. Sorry, Anonymous, I think you're a dipshit.
Posted by danewood on January 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM · Report this
Hernandez 10
Thinking back, the only TV couple that ever seemed truly realistic was Al and Peg Bundy.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on January 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM · Report this
singing cynic 11
The problem is that media has people - men and women - believe that everyone is attracted to exactly the same type of person, and that only those people are worthy of sexual attention (or any positive attention of any kind, really). This is particularly pervasive when it comes to women. The very fact that people are SO PISSED that Lena Dunham's (deeply flawed, self-involved, clueless, brilliantly written) character gets naked and has sex when she's not a media-approved perfect ten makes this show important.
Posted by singing cynic on January 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 12
In more breaking news, NYC thinks they are attractive and desirable mates, while the rest of the nation laughs at them.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Doctor Memory 13
Ah, so Ziffy has gone from stupid comments on I, Anon threads to sending in stupid submissions to I,Anon directly. Well, it was probably inevitable.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on January 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
@9 and @11 tied for the win.
Fish Wrench Asteroid 15
Good fucking lord Anonymous... I've made some supplemental income on commercial work and modeling. I'm considered by social consensus to be an attractive dude, but I'm also a mature adult human being.

Sure, good looks are a plus, but it's only like one part of maybe a dozen other traits that factor into attractiveness. I'd much rather date and fuck a person with a plain face and a flabby body that is super cool than a hot person that is just pretty cool.

Anybody that bases their dating choices exclusively on aspects of a person that are largely beyond their control like bones structure, boob size, predisposition to carry a few extra pounds, cock size, baldness, skin color, is by definition superficial. Everyone is a little superficial, but there's so much more to dating than superficiality.
Posted by Fish Wrench Asteroid on January 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM · Report this
LogopolisMike 16
" I am a completely mean-spirited and superficial person—which I'm not."

This is one of those cases where words speak louder than your anonymous actions. Anon, please consider a self-examination on these grounds: just because someone isn't COMPLETELY mean-spirited or superficial doesn't mean that they aren't mean-spirited and superficial to a degree at which it is embarrassing.
Posted by LogopolisMike http://logopolis.typepad.com on January 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 17
Someone is only now discovering that television portrays things unrealistically?
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 18
Please, men just don't want women to know that they will have sex with just about anything if the circumstances are right.

Besides, I think Lena Dunham is cute, and her willingness to put herself out there, blemishes and all I find to be very attractive. The best women (probably just "people" actually, but I have never had sex with a guy) in bed and on a date are those who know what they want, and are unafraid and unashamed to just be themselves.

Not to mention, I have never met a guy who would take a supermodel over a realistically sized, "plain" woman with even half a personality.

Keep in mind though, that the loudest voices are from adolescent "men," who have not yet discovered that a decent person who you actually like being around will make you happy, not a, as #11 puts it, "media approved ten."

Posted by Theodore Gorath on January 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Fistique 19
It's weird how s/he's acting like it's hard to get laid in Manhattan, and not practically inevitable if you ask around.
Posted by Fistique on January 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 20
OK. This is all horrible, but it also seems like the writer hasn't even seen the show (which, I guess is hardly a prerequisite for criticism in the present era): Lena's character on the show has been with, what, two guys in Brooklyn over two seasons?
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM · Report this
I don't think Lena Dunham is that attractive physically, but I have no doubt she gets plenty of attention.

I might be wrong, but I suspect the IA writer is a woman, and that she's either young or just immature. Perhaps someday she'll discover that being interesting and fun to be around takes one much further than she appreciates - with women as well as men.
Posted by Morosoph on January 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM · Report this
TVDinner 22
@21: Agreed, and she'll probably discover it right around the time gravity makes itself known.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
brandon 23
I'm a chubby gay dude, and I've only ever been with "hot" guys, or at least guys I thought were hot. One or two were even model levels of hotness (a rare exception ill admit). Bitch is doing it wrong.
Posted by brandon on January 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM · Report this
You're posting this anonymously because you're a coward....and an idiot.

Lena Dunham's real life boyfriend is really sexy (IMHO) and who the hell are you to judge? I've only seen the show a few times but I didn't think the guys they cast to be her sex partners were especially conventionally "hot." (For the record, I don't really care for "Girls.")

Guys (gay and straight) have all sorts of taste in women and men (the men in my father's family seem to like biger women for example).

I'm a 48 year old bear and get more attention now than I did when I was 25 and skinnier....sometimes from men with conventionally smokin' hot bodies. Go figure.

More to the point, it's A FUCKING TV SHOW. Nothing is realistic on TV or in the movies. Or haven't you noticed that there are almost no women between 40 and 70 on TV, but somehow there ARE in real life?
Posted by Mike Friedman on January 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM · Report this
I get the uncomfortable feeling that Anon is a young woman hating on her own body type.

Listen girl, it's not the chub, it's your raging inferiority complex and inability to realize that plenty of average looking people have awesome sex with pretty hot people all the time. Nobody wants to hear your rant about how a vanity project memoirish TV show is a lie because it doesn't conform to your bleak, overly pessimistic view of sex and society. You're so hung up on your imperfections that you can't even see how a girl like Dunham, or me, or you can be viewed as a sexual being. Our airbrushed and photoshopped culture has got you convinced that you will never measure up to an ideal that doesn't actually exist in nature. Sad.

Put down the newest issue of Cosmo and back away slowly.
Posted by planned barrenhood on January 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
very bad homo 26
The bigger women I know always seem to have the hottest boyfriends, and they're genuinely good people too. Seriously, grow up.
Posted by very bad homo on January 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM · Report this
biffp 27
@26, agreed. Plus the show is about Hannah living in this liberal arts bubble where money, looks and color don't matter. That's going to come crashing down by the end of the season I'd guess.
Posted by biffp on January 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
McGee 28
No I agree with Anonymous, what man would ever possibly want to date an intelligent, creative, and successful woman?
Posted by McGee on January 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM · Report this
elfling 29
I had to google Lena Dunham, and the show (I don't watch a lot of TV), but having now seen a bunch of pictures and the stills I can't figure out the 'flabby' part, or the 'attractive' men the character supposedly dates. Then again I wouldn't call her plain either... 'pretty', sure, 'cute', sure, 'pixie-ish', yup, and a hundred other words that don't mean plain, or in the writers mind, ugly.

You want unrealistic? Angelina Jolie. She is skeletal, and no, I don't think its natural. Plus the hours of makeup, making her *gasp* not real looking. You need to look at the real world, what people look like without trainers and makeup artists and realize that your version of 'unrealistic' is entirely fictional. Fortunately even the attractive dudes out there often have the sense to understand reality.
Posted by elfling on January 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Really the only legitimate reason I can find to hate on Girls is the blatant nepotism that lead to it's creation- but that's pretty much par for the course in the entertainment industry, (not to mention resulted in a pretty decent show) so I can't complain too much.
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on January 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM · Report this
biffp 33
@29, maybe that is the discussion she's trying to provoke. Hannah is unattractive because she's completely insensitive, but here we are talking about whether her body is toned enough to be naked and dating. I'd say Hannah is more comparable to Megan Fox who thinks she speaks in tongues and generally seems unpleasant. I'm not a Jolie fan, but there seems to be a halfway good person in there.
Posted by biffp on January 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Fuck you, anon. Lena is gorgeous.
Posted by Greycat on January 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
@9 I'm with you there. I've gone on enough boring dates with people that are physically my type to know that overcompensating in one area in no way makes up for deficiencies in the other. That is a two way street of course.
Posted by spoons on January 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM · Report this
@26

QFT.

I've never known a straight bigger woman who was socially active who didn't find a boyfriend just as fast as any other woman on the prowl. And, yes, most of those boyfriends were pretty damn hot.

There are people who aren't attracted to bigger women, but they aren't the only people in the universe. Those who are attracted to bigger woman find them.
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on January 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM · Report this
C'mon folks, I love Girls but don't you think it is just a little improbable that Hannah has 1 guy hung up on her while dating anther very handsome guy, while pretty, skinny Marnie apparently can't get a date?
Posted by Adversary on January 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 38
@37 yeah but Marnie is a b.t.h ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM · Report this
elfling 39
@33 I don't believe that is what she is trying to discuss, given her whole letter was regarding the physical attractiveness of the actress, the actors who play her suitors and how she feels that no man could want a 'plain and flabby' woman if he was decent looking. Which is the only reason I brought up another actress who is regarded by a lot of people as being incredibly attractive. Who Angelina Jolie is as a person I wouldn't know, and even if I read the tabloids I probably still wouldn't know, although based on the facts that have been put out there about her I would agree that she is a halfway decent person.
Posted by elfling on January 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM · Report this
biffp 41
@39, I meant the discussion Lena Dunham is trying to provoke. Anonymous is focused on Hannah being naked, but Hannah has some personality flaws that anonymous would focus on if her/his head weren't up her/his asshole .
Posted by biffp on January 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM · Report this
Two things:
1. I've been to Manhattan several times and it is not a city full of attractive people. They all look pale, tired, and harried.

2. None of the guys she dates on the show are even remotely cute. Gross.
Posted by DanFan503 on January 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM · Report this
I don't know what those Manhattan guys look like but that irl boyfriend is CUTE
Posted by nifty on January 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM · Report this
The Max 45
1) Nobody's pointed out that the show is mostly set in Brooklyn, specifically the neighborhood Grampa called, "Green Pernt." Different Island, different culture, more tattoos per capita, easier for ugly people to get laid.

2) Remember, all the smoking-hot guys Hannah's been with have various iterations of PGRD (Pretty Girl Repellent Disorder.) Elijah's gay, the new guy's a black Republican, and Adam's got some sort of messy personality thing going on that may be just being a complete asshole. These are all guys who might have to settle.

3) The IA writer obviously hasn't seen the last shot of the season premiere, where we're treated to a nearly unobstructed view of Hannah from behind. Forget the double chin, short neck, belly wattle and fat thighs. Baby got back.

4) Hannah's got a very fuckable personality. Plucky, ebullient, hyper-rationalizing types seem to be really good at getting guys into bed. Bad at getting guys to stay, but good at snaring their interest.
Posted by The Max on January 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM · Report this
Bigger girl here. Never had a problem picking up/fucking hot guys. What anonymous writes is simply no the world I choose to live in, so it's not a truth for me. Do I get every guy I want? No, but who does?
Posted by Soo on January 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM · Report this
Bigger girl here. Never had a problem picking up/fucking hot guys. What anonymous writes is simply not the world I choose to live in, so it's not a truth for me. Do I get every guy I want? No, but who does?
Posted by Soo on January 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM · Report this
LEE. 48
I've never seen this show, but add me to the list of people who think Anon is spewing some fabulous bullshit here. a woman who is super cool, yet not intimidatingly hot is probably getting a lot of play because you find yourself having plenty to talk about with them. that, plus the lack of intimidation makes one a lot less self-conscience about getting physical. that's been my experience at least. of course there's also what everyone else said about not everybody having the same "type" out there.

speaking of my experience, her real life BF...dude has too many reverb pedals. how can you trust a man who can't trust his guitar to echo?
Posted by LEE. on January 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM · Report this
1. Money makes men more attractive. It does not always do the same for women.

2. Perhaps Lena Dunham has a better personality in real life than her character on the show does and that is what has gotten her said boyfriend (and said skewed idea of how a person with her ordinary-attractive movie-star-middling appearance could be with many attractive men).
Posted by DRF on January 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM · Report this
Hah. I'm no looker - somewhat overweight, some oddly put together features, a very plain dresser, etc. But I've been with some SMOKING men. And I've been with some highly charismatic men who could have any woman they wanted.

I used to get a kick out of wandering into the bar in my sweats to pick up my one ex when we were having our "me time" nights (I'd curl up with a book, and he'd go out to drink at the bar and socialize, knowing he didn't have to worry about driving home). My hair was inevitably a mess and I was usually just woken up from dozing off, and he'd be sitting at the bar surrounded by women who'd been flirting with him all night. His eyes would light up and he'd start waving as soon as I'd walk through the door. Inevitably some woman with perfect hair and makeup would say something to the effect of "YOU'RE Jrz? He won't shut up about you." as if she couldn't believe it. Always cracked me up.

Brains were always his thing. Even after we'd broken up and were still chatting, when we'd talk about love interests, he'd always talk about how he liked their intelligence.
Posted by JrzWrld on January 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM · Report this
snacktruck 52
What an idiot anon. Seriously, as a good looking guy, I like all kinds of women and to think that Lena could not date hot guys is insane. Hannah is fucking guys and is probably a lot of fun even with the neurotic ways.

And Lena D is dating a vox amp? WAY TO GO!
Posted by snacktruck on January 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM · Report this
Posted by LEE. on January 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM · Report this
Just Jeff 54
Len# Dunham is completely fuckable.
Posted by Just Jeff on January 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM · Report this
McGee 55
I can't stand this nepotism canard as reasoning for the show's existence. Aside for secondary roles for David Mamet and Brian Williams' daughters the others parents are some barely known artists and the drummer of Bad Company? There's some entertainment industry clout. This show was made because Dunham's independent film hooked her up with Judd Apatow.
Posted by McGee on January 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM · Report this
lolorhone 56
As far as I know, her character has dated three guys- one a borderline sociopath who looks like the mutant spawn of Alfred E. Neuman, one a now-exquisitely gay gold digger (blandly handsome), and one is Donald Glover (cute enough to be an alt-rapper). Dunham is more than capable of bedding all three seeing as how she is a real girl and not a fucking leper. I shall quote Daria to you, Anonymous: " Your shallowness is so thorough, it's almost like depth."
Posted by lolorhone on January 24, 2013 at 4:35 AM · Report this
singing cynic 57
Daria quote FTW, @56! Add me to the list, by the way, of not-super-hot ladies (I'm just 5 feet tall, and in my hey-day of fitness weighed about 125 lbs, which on a short lady still made me round) who have hooked up with extremely hot men (one is now a pro body builder, one a brazillian hotty, sexy punk rockers - I had a good run in my early twenties!). In my experience, men are into women who a.) know how to flirt b.) are sexually confident and c.) enjoy sex. Aesthetics are really secondary. (P.S. those guys were cute, but the best sex I've had has been not with those conventionally attractive dudes, but with an old boyfriend with a huge shnoz, a greasy pony tail, and a too-skinny bod, and with my husband, who is very handsome but was passed over by a lot of women because he's just 5'5". Once again, aesthetics are secondary to chemistry and sex skillz.)
Posted by singing cynic on January 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Donald Glover is cute. Adam Driver has a good body and a ... unique face. And Andrew Rannells is handsome but CLEARLY gay, same as his character on Girls. I was cursed with bad skin and a few extra pounds in high school, but I always had boyfriends. The gift of gab goes a long way.
Posted by Amanda on January 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this
After reading all this, I would estimate about 70% of the comments and the anonymous letter are depressing as (proverbial) fuck.
Posted by Minerva on January 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 62
Whether a woman has to be conventionally attractive in order to be able to pull the conventionally attractive men has a lot to do with the social circle / city / neighbourhood she swims in. The culture determines whether attitude / style / confidence / intelligence trump body "perfection" or vice versa.

Presumably in the young, educated, creative Brooklyn circle the Hannah character lives in it's the former.

In the circles I run in, someone like Hannah would likely be pulling the hot guys as well.

Confidence trumps all, even when it's a self loathing type of confidence, as we see in the Hannah character.
Posted by doloresdaphne on January 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM · Report this
What is wrong with you people? Anonymous has an honest valid opinion and all of you are attacking her? We are talking about realism and in real life this girl could never get laid without her newfound fame and money. Her ego and arrogance is bigger than Tyra banks and that is saying a lot. A super model is more honest and humble that she is. I get that she's trying to show the real women but does she have to keep throwing it in our faces?? She's naked In every single episode though she's the only one.. And yes, it disturbs me. It's not a pretty sight and her face is even worst. I really tried to like the show but can't take it anymore. I am a total femanist and all about girl power but this girl makes me sick !!
Posted by Writergirl11 on February 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM · Report this
Anonymous, you're full of shit. I have a few extra pounds. I don't have a perfectly flat tummy and my things touch each other when i walk. I don't have a Hana ass, but not a J Lo ass either. I'm well racked though, and my face is well plain usually. The guys I've fucked are beyond hot. What you look like definitely matters but what matters more is that you know how to make the best of your positive aspects. Besides if you're cool, smart, fun and have a positive energy and appetite for sex, hell Bradley Cooper will do you!
More than being mad at Lena Dunham, I think you're insecure about yourself. You're just mad you can't bag the hotties you want. Don't hate on girls who can :)
Posted by Because.I.Can on February 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM · Report this